• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Man I hope Woolard is pulling the right strings with the ACC right now. There is enough smoke to suggest that FSU is probably going to the B12. If they do, we need to be begging Miami and the ACC to admit us. I don't care what the conferences look like at the end of all of this, but being in the ACC is a massive upgrade over the BE. We need to separate from UCF, they cannot catch us. Please, get this done guys.

If those 2 teams leave, all signs are pointing to Rutgers and UConn to replace them. The only way we get included is if 2 more teams leave for either the Big 12 (Gt Tech, Miami, Va Tech, etc...) or SEC (Va Tech, NCST). We only get in if they lose 4 or more teams. I think we'd get picked before Cincinnati, but that's it. UConn, Rutgers, Louisville are ahead. How great would it be if the rest of the current BE members get invited to the ACC, plus maybe Temple? I wouldn't mind this scenario though, even though it's unlikely:::

Cuse

BC

UConn

Rutgers

Temple

Pitt

Cincy

UofL

Maryland

UVA

UNC

Duke

Wake

GT

USF

Miami

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I really can't imagine Notre Dame ever to the Big 12. They do have the draw of letting schools keep their third tier rights that could appeal to ND. But other than that, I cannot fathom the B10 letting ND go without a fight.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

If not for the Pitt/Syracuse treachery, the BigEast would have had the power to poach ACC teams should schools start bolting for other conferences, and not the other way around. With all our new additions, it would be a little tricky if we just said, "sorry folks, just kidding, go back to your cDOA, we'll let Pitt/Cuse back, and a bunch of others in as well." Maybe this is what's behind Marinatto's resignation -- by adding all these new teams quickly, the BigEast may have inadvertantly placed itself in a weaker position (especially if you're a BBall school). Should the ACC collapse, THEY will obviously backfill with BigEast FBall schools. If this happens sooner, UConn/RU/UC/UL/USF have the upper hand as the establishment. If this takes a year, then Temple will at least have their foot in the door as well. If this drags on longer, then I fear you can just throw us in a pool with all the other new admits, and it would be easier to leave us out ("they'll be OK, they'll still have their rival in UCF").

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I really can't imagine Notre Dame ever to the Big 12. They do have the draw of letting schools keep their third tier rights that could appeal to ND. But other than that, I cannot fathom the B10 letting ND go without a fight.

I'm not sure ND is interested in aligning itself with anyone. Their TV deal is intact, they will always get a bowl invite and they are watching this debacle in the other confs, unfold. A move into a conference would only marginalize their product. If they finish 6th in conference ranking, where does that leave them? They are a mediocre FB talent right now and making a move before they rebuild(if they can) might hurt them even more. I think other B12 targets, realistically, are GT and VT. I am beginning to believe that UL was shot down when they got their media studies done. Cincy was a non-starter. We might have been a player if FSU was unwilling to move, because we would have opened the cable markets to them. Our problem now is that the Big Dogs, sans P12, will all come out of this with a FL presence without us. Who really wants a jump to ACC(rats leaving ship)? Even Pitt is already trying to get off that boat. Swofford at the ACC made a critical misstep. He thought that because the ACC had never lost teams, it never would.He tried to patch it up with a cobbled together TV deal which the B12 eclipsed even in the throes of their near catastrophic year. Neinas deserves the lions share of the credit for B12 rebirth though. He hung onto OU and UT and swiped TCU back from us(negated losing TAMU) and then leveraged what he had and what he was able to secure into a killer TV pkg. It's all about the money. All the talk about academics is hooey. A schools academics have nothing to do with what athletic conference they play in( witness Vandy, Stanford et al). Might have in the past, but that landscape is going to change according to other principles now.

Next step for USF? I think they ACC will belatedly fire Swofford. I thinks the ACC and BE will cobble together a 14 team league. The BB only schools will get jettisoned by any right minded new commissioner. And next, we will try to work our way back to the postseason, media rights dinner table. It all depends on who steers this megaliner. We need someone good. Chuck Neinas, want another interim job?

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

If not for the Pitt/Syracuse treachery, the BigEast would have had the power to poach ACC teams should schools start bolting for other conferences, and not the other way around. With all our new additions, it would be a little tricky if we just said, "sorry folks, just kidding, go back to your cDOA, we'll let Pitt/Cuse back, and a bunch of others in as well." Maybe this is what's behind Marinatto's resignation -- by adding all these new teams quickly, the BigEast may have inadvertantly placed itself in a weaker position (especially if you're a BBall school). Should the ACC collapse, THEY will obviously backfill with BigEast FBall schools. If this happens sooner, UConn/RU/UC/UL/USF have the upper hand as the establishment. If this takes a year, then Temple will at least have their foot in the door as well. If this drags on longer, then I fear you can just throw us in a pool with all the other new admits, and it would be easier to leave us out ("they'll be OK, they'll still have their rival in UCF").

+1 And now Pitt is trying to get a B12 invite. If they hadn't left. We would have kept TCU and WVU. We might have been doing what the B12 is now.

The BBall schools will not be jettisoned. If a "merger" happens, it will be as a negotiated split with the BBall schools keeping the name, and the FBall schools folding in with the ACC leftovers. Both conferences survive. HOWEVER, if this goes down after BSU/SMU/UH/UCF/UM/Navy/SDSU are all established, it wouldn't be such a clean move.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,087
  • Days Won:  1

Man I hope Woolard is pulling the right strings with the ACC right now. There is enough smoke to suggest that FSU is probably going to the B12. If they do, we need to be begging Miami and the ACC to admit us. I don't care what the conferences look like at the end of all of this, but being in the ACC is a massive upgrade over the BE. We need to separate from UCF, they cannot catch us. Please, get this done guys.

If those 2 teams leave, all signs are pointing to Rutgers and UConn to replace them. The only way we get included is if 2 more teams leave for either the Big 12 (Gt Tech, Miami, Va Tech, etc...) or SEC (Va Tech, NCST). We only get in if they lose 4 or more teams. I think we'd get picked before Cincinnati, but that's it. UConn, Rutgers, Louisville are ahead. How great would it be if the rest of the current BE members get invited to the ACC, plus maybe Temple? I wouldn't mind this scenario though, even though it's unlikely:::

Cuse

BC

UConn

Rutgers

Temple

Pitt

Cincy

UofL

Maryland

UVA

UNC

Duke

Wake

GT

USF

Miami

I snagged the following from another sportsforum I frequent:

According to @ChadScott, ACC could lose up to 8 members by August. Duke, MD, VA, and UNC to Big 10.

Other rumors have VA Tech and NC State to SEC.

Still others have GA Tech and Clemson (Clemson more a certainty, Ga Tech "just talking") to Big 12.

I wonder if the remnants of the Big East FB schools and ACC form a conference and the Big East non-football schools merge with some of the A10 schools to make a powerhouse basketball-only conference. Of course the leftover schools become basically irrelevant.

And I would think Notre Dame is going to have to make a move to a conference if they want to stay relevant at all.

Superconferences here we come.

If Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 all go to 16 teams, who could the Pac-12 realistically take if they wanted to match the other three of the "big four"

If this is the case and the ACC is down to Miami, GA Tech, Wake, and BC, a merger of football schools could look like this (also considering SDSU and Boise go elsewhere):

North

Boston College

Pitt

Syracuse

Rutgers

Uconn

Temple

Cincinnati

Louisville

South

Miami

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

South Fla

Cent Fla

SMU

Houston

Memphis

I'm not so sure we would've kept WVU and TCU (their going to the BigXII is what in turn probably allowed them to reportedly bust up the ACC). Pitt might even be making the BigXII move with WVU as a unit. However, with Syracuse in the BigEast, and the shear numerical disadvantage the ACC would be staring at, I could definately see us plucking off the most desirables left behind (this would've kept the BBall alliance together, though, and so we might have been looking at a mega-BBall 20-team extravaganza like was proposed with KU/KSU/Mizzou joining with a BigXII meltdown 1-2 summers ago.

North

Boston College

Pitt

Syracuse

Rutgers

Uconn

Temple

Cincinnati

Louisville

South

Miami

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

South Fla

Cent Fla

SMU

Houston

Memphis

I see this as being very plausable at some point down the road. Although, if you're less thrilled with the 16-team format (as I am), you can drop SMU/UH/UCF/Mem, and split North/South by moving UC/UL to the southern division.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I do believe it is at least somewhat possible that the Big East will outlast the ACC. The ACC really has better choices to be picked off, for the most part. UConn and Rutgers could go the B1G, but I actually agree that the ACC schools fit better. If the B1G really wants top notch academic schools, why take Rutgers and UConn when you can have Duke and Vandy? At the moment you could make a small argument that Rugers and UConn are better at football, but both have recently lost the coach that took them there, and I think Duke and Vandy actually bring a little more name. It would seem that we should be in the #5 conference. I'm not sure right now whether that will be the BE or ACC.

Not likely, but I would love to see Pitt an 'Cuse have to beg for a BE spot.