• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ban college football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Not to mention, I'm a little baffled how a game played at max, 8 times at home, typically on a Saturday (a non-class day) over the course of a whole year is somehow a major distraction to those there for an education.

I didn't read the article but athletics suck all kinds of financial resources away from a school. Imagine what USF could do academically with the $13M per year they charge students for their athletic fees. that medical learning center downtown cost $38M. they could build something similar every three years and pay cash if they didn't have the athletic drain.

I hate to tell you this, but the medical learning center is designed as a revenue generating building. It is by no means paid for by student tuitions, but private money. I alone popped in over $28k, and I am not a student... USF Health is a revenue generating aspect of the university system, much like athletics.....

while athletics generate revenue, they don't generate enough to cover their own costs. a good portion of student tuition goes to the athletic department.

that's fantastic that it was private money. the point was the $13M in student athletic fees can go to more education oriented projects. not indoor football fields and million dollar salaries for gym coaches.not sure what generating revenue has anything to do with it but any classroom is a revenue generator for the college. after all students actually pay their tuition to go to classes.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention, I'm a little baffled how a game played at max, 8 times at home, typically on a Saturday (a non-class day) over the course of a whole year is somehow a major distraction to those there for an education.

I didn't read the article but athletics suck all kinds of financial resources away from a school. Imagine what USF could do academically with the $13M per year they charge students for their athletic fees. that medical learning center downtown cost $38M. they could build something similar every three years and pay cash if they didn't have the athletic drain.

Why are you here? Why do you post on the athletic board. You've made it abundantly clear that you hate athletics. Do you really think that you are going to change any minds here? You remind me of some kid that used to sit next to me at B-o-B in the Marshall Center, he would say over and over again how bad atheltics are for a University. He had/has no social skills. Social skills are extremely important in the business world. There are hundreds of thousands of kids graduating every year. Without social skills for interviews some of them will have a much harder time landing a job. Football/sports in general help develop those skills that will benefit them tremendously later in life.

I don't hate athletics. far from it. I think amatuer athletics have lost a great deal of their charm. now it's all about the money. When a public university pays a football coach $6M a year then something is wrong. I think it's a joke for university presidents to cry poverty when taxpayer money is cut from their budget all while they charge students $10's of millions a year to fund an athletic department. I'm in favor of athletics. I'm also fine if the generate boatloads of cash for the GENERAL FUND of a college. I'm tired of the arms race at these public, taxpayer funded schools. $75M athletic dorms at OU, $6M head coach at Alabama, etc. where does it end?

Football/sports develop social skills?? wow there's a legit reason I never considered for paying gym coaches millions and building athletic shrines.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Bull94, when the bully kicked sand in your face as a kid, rather than ordering the Charles Atlas book from the comic book ad, did you just decide to become a whiny butcher instead?

And no, college is NOT simply a place for job training. It's a place for life training, if anything.

Are you maybe a UCF troll, upset about the spanking your team got 4 years in a row? I swear, every post you make derides athletics. We get it. Now go away.

Bull94, when the bully kicked sand in your face as a kid, rather than ordering the Charles Atlas book from the comic book ad, did you just decide to become a whiny butcher instead?

And no, college is NOT simply a place for job training. It's a place for life training, if anything.

Are you maybe a UCF troll, upset about the spanking your team got 4 years in a row? I swear, every post you make derides athletics. We get it. Now go away.

how very mature of you.

did you get this life training on how to argue intelligently on a topic from watching football?

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

Bull94: When students select a university, they often look at the experience that a school provides. Having athletics invest in the future of our programs gets higher caliber student athletes to take a second look at our school. Bringing in better student athletes improves the chances of having successful programs. Success is fun for the fans, leading to a better student experience.

Also, since our brief stint at the top of the polls in football in 2007, applications for admission have skyrocketed. The profile of the average student entering the university has gone up quite a bit since then, as well. Athletics has been great for the growth of USF, academically.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

how very mature of you.

did you get this life training on how to argue intelligently on a topic from watching football?

What can I say? I'm an equal opportunity offender.

Bull94: When students select a university, they often look at the experience that a school provides. Having athletics invest in the future of our programs gets higher caliber student athletes to take a second look at our school. Bringing in better student athletes improves the chances of having successful programs. Success is fun for the fans, leading to a better student experience.

Also, since our brief stint at the top of the polls in football in 2007, applications for admission have skyrocketed. The profile of the average student entering the university has gone up quite a bit since then, as well. Athletics has been great for the growth of USF, academically.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Just not as diplomatically.

:D

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Why are you here? Why do you post on the athletic board. You've made it abundantly clear that you hate athletics. Do you really think that you are going to change any minds here? You remind me of some kid that used to sit next to me at B-o-B in the Marshall Center, he would say over and over again how bad atheltics are for a University. He had/has no social skills. Social skills are extremely important in the business world. There are hundreds of thousands of kids graduating every year. Without social skills for interviews some of them will have a much harder time landing a job. Football/sports in general help develop those skills that will benefit them tremendously later in life.

I don't hate athletics. far from it. I think amatuer athletics have lost a great deal of their charm. now it's all about the money. When a public university pays a football coach $6M a year then something is wrong. I think it's a joke for university presidents to cry poverty when taxpayer money is cut from their budget all while they charge students $10's of millions a year to fund an athletic department. I'm in favor of athletics. I'm also fine if the generate boatloads of cash for the GENERAL FUND of a college. I'm tired of the arms race at these public, taxpayer funded schools. $75M athletic dorms at OU, $6M head coach at Alabama, etc. where does it end?

Football/sports develop social skills?? wow there's a legit reason I never considered for paying gym coaches millions and building athletic shrines.

Why do you site facts/numbers that are just not accurate or true. The $75M athletic dorm statement is a flat out lie. The dorm will house all types of students. 51% students and 49% student athletes. See the link that has the facts.

http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032411aaa.html

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Athletics do a few things. First, they create a sense of pride in the school that extends beyond academics. It puts the school on the map. Why is that important? Because you want students to choose your school. They choose not just because of academics, but some of the intangibles. Why did UCF go resort style in their housing - to attract students.

Additionally, academics promotes the university and provides for PR (mostly good). It give the school national exposure and allows it to get its name out outside of the state (think of our school playing in the BE, we get our name out frequently). You cannot buy that kind of press. Front page of the sports section a couple of times per week.

Lastly, it is a reason to bring people back to the institution, for sporting events. And it has been proven that if you can keep friends and alumni engaged in the university, they tend to donate and provide other benefits back to the university.

So while I think some of the schools are out of hand (UF has a $100M annual athletics budget compared to ours at under $30M) it still serves a positive purpose for the institution in the short and long terms.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Athletics do a few things. First, they create a sense of pride in the school that extends beyond academics. It puts the school on the map. Why is that important? Because you want students to choose your school. They choose not just because of academics, but some of the intangibles. Why did UCF go resort style in their housing - to attract students.

Additionally, academics promotes the university and provides for PR (mostly good). It give the school national exposure and allows it to get its name out outside of the state (think of our school playing in the BE, we get our name out frequently). You cannot buy that kind of press. Front page of the sports section a couple of times per week.

Lastly, it is a reason to bring people back to the institution, for sporting events. And it has been proven that if you can keep friends and alumni engaged in the university, they tend to donate and provide other benefits back to the university.

So while I think some of the schools are out of hand (UF has a $100M annual athletics budget compared to ours at under $30M) it still serves a positive purpose for the institution in the short and long terms.

Yeah, who would go to Gainesville without FB games and all that cool blue and orange gear. What about the hundreds of student athletes who have a chance at higher education and a professional athletic career as a result of collegiate sports? Many wouldn't ever have had that opportunity without scholarship. Bull94, you and the Nerd in the WSJ are in a clear minority, and I might add, who are either of you to tell me what my collegiate career goals are?

sorry but the entire reason for a college to exist is to train young people for a job.

Sorry, that is the dumbest statement I have ever read and patently wrong.

Edited by Triple B
To attribute second quote to Bull94

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

http://online.wsj.co...estyle_newsreel

I didn't give this much cred until I saw at the bottom that Malcom Gladwell is in on this.

Tuesday night debate could stoke something; or maybe not.

You mean dress for success Gladwell?? He shares “college was not an... intellectually fruitful time for meâ€. I can see why Gladwell would be against college sports. He is probably against wedgies and social gatherings as well

180px-Malcolmgladwell.jpg