• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

11 Extremely Weird Facts About Popular Music (SFW)

TyBull

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Good Music from this generation that I think would be palatable to people on this board

The Black Keys

Black Rebel Motor Cycle Club

Queens of The Stoneage

Arcade Fire

Chad Vangaalen

The Decemberists

Tame Impala

The Hold Steady

The Killers

The National

White Denim

Deerhunter

There's a **** load more too but these are just some that I think would be more palatable to this boards middle aged white male musical palate. Radio music has sucked for decades.

I actually have a The Hold Steady CD and a The Killers. I went to see Radiohead in Tampa, still don't understand how they're so popular. I went down to Miami for the U2 show last Summer great concert, huge crowd, great energy from the band. They pretty much played Achtung Baby. I'm sure that I'll get blasted but I'm going to see Coldplay in June.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I like the Killers too.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I don't get the rabid love for Radiohead either.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

I'd also check out:

Mumford and Sons

The Black Keys (that's already been mentioned)

Coldplay

Edward Sharpe and the Magentic Zeroes

Matt Kearney

Mat Nathanson

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

For myself, I haven't found anything that I really like in the last few years. Most of the music I like is from 2005 or earlier but Mumford and Sons I can say has caught my eye.

My girlfriend has exposed me to a lot of house/dj music of late and it seems this more euro style music is gaining popularity in the US. To name a few producers/dj's that are popular, Tiesto, Avicii, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Deadmau5 and Skrillix (dubstep). There is just a lot going on in this music with multiple melodies and other elements that can sound great if done properly. Here is a good example of this in levels from Avicii for anyone who hasn't heard the original. The people I know that are into this style music are all obsessed with this track.

The artist Gotye has recently become popular for one song and his music certainly is not traditional pop, but his song "Somebody that I used to know" has been blowing up the radio surprisingly and has nearly 200 million youtube views. Here is that song, but you might also want to check out some of his other tracks, they are quite unique if your looking for something different but it's not the type of music I would listen to.