• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

DeMarcus Holland decommitted???

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

But even a winning team that plays down-tempo won't draw anyone BUT hardcore Bulls fans.

Well I just hope we get a chance to prove that theory is wrong ... B)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'm starting to wonder if Style of play is hurting us in recruiting. I already see teams that made the NCAAT get what appears to be a boost in recruiting but so far I can't find any new names associated with USF. The type of kids Heath likes to recruit aren't attracted to that ugly boring offense that USF ran over the last month or so. Heck our own players Rudd, Poland, and Robertson didn't enjoy it from reading their body language how they responded to Heath on the sidelines. We heard and read statements from Heath trying to defend his style of play to the media because he knows that the label USF had on them, as an unattractive team to watch, does indeed hurt recruiting.

We need a guy like Holland to come in and pull minutes from Collins which will make the team better. Nash really needed to play more at the SG spot this season. I think he is a guy that's about to get lost on the roster with the depth of SGs we are going to have.

I can see where recruits would think that USF won't properly prepare them for the NBA and therefore won't come here.

If the most important criteria a recruit is choosing a school by is whether it will prepare them for the NBA, you may be right ... but there should be enough other, more grounded players out there to field teams like this year's on a semi-regular basis.

But it's not just recruits who are turned off by the slow-it-down-and-stress-defense that Heath coaches

It's also the media and fans. Fans will learn to enjoy it - but ONLY if the team is winning.

The media will NEVER love it, since it makes the casual fan change the channel.

If we want recruits, fans, AND media, we have to play up-tempo games - AND win them.

First of all, **** the media. You're giving way too much credit to the Doug Gottliebs of the world. Up-tempo, down-tempo, sideways-tempo doesn't mean crap to the majority of the fans. It's all about winning. You're sadly mistaken if you think an up-tempo, losing team will keep our non-hardcore fans interested.

Never said that. But even a winning team that plays down-tempo won't draw anyone BUT hardcore Bulls fans. Which means no advertising. Which means more media piling on. Which means more Bulls fans in tinfoil helmets, LOL!

If it only draws hardcore fans, then we have 10000 hardcore fans... b/c that is how many fans came out to watch the WVU game. So that logic is flawed... or there wouldn't have been a bandwagon.

a winning team draws crowds, especially in tampa. Lose and no one shows but some die hards. Win and people come out of the woodwork, even for a slow it down team.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

BILL NICHOLS The Dallas Morning News

Staff writer

brnichols@dallasnews.com

Published: 26 February 2012 10:29 PM

BOYS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: ZACH LEDAY, THE COLONY

What he did: He scored 63 points in playoff victories over Plainview and El Paso Burges. Against Burges, he helped secure the win by scoring nine of his 33 points in the fourth quarter.

Who he is: A 6-8 senior forward.

The stats: He has averaged 21.6 points and 8.4 rebounds for the season and 31.5 points in two playoff games.

He said it: “I just wanted to step up. I’m going to do whatever it takes to help our team, whether that means scoring 33 points or three points. The last two games I was just hot, but I had no idea I had over 30 [on Saturday]â€

Coach said it: “He has a real desire to win. He’s willing to stay late after practice or do whatever’s needed. He’s a versatile player who really fit in with his new teammates this year.†— Cleve Ryan

Did you know? LeDay transferred from Skyline before his senior season. “It’s a different environment,†he said. “It’s really exciting out here because people really support the basketball team.†… After getting recruiting interest from about 30 schools, including LSU and Purdue, he signed a letter of intent with South Florida. “I like their style of play, and they said I would have the chance to play coming in.â€

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/athletes-of-the-week/20120226-boys-basketball-player-of-the-week-227-the-colony-s-zach-leday.ece

March 13, 2012

Zach Leday of The Colony was the Defensive MVP

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2012/mar/13/jordan-earns-first-team-nod/?print=1

Thu, 22 Mar, 2012

Great American shootout recap

Special to Focus Daily News

DUNCANVILLE—On Sunday, Rivals.com moved from the Bob Knight Fieldhouse down the street to Duncanville High School. Within the Great American Shootout, organizers had created a special eight-team event featuring what would be considered "power" teams...

Sunday notables at GASO

Zach LeDay, PF, Dallas Mustangs- It was a productive day for the 6-foot-7 four man from The Colony (Texas) High. A wiry strong athlete who can spin quickly for dunks, he was aggressive attacking the rim and hitting the glass. It was a pleasant surprise to see him spot up for a pair of deep jumpers that looked comfortable.

http://focusdailynews.com/great-american-shootout-recap-p4272-1.htm

I'm still not sure whether Holland has a commitable offer from Texas at this point

Blake Borron †@GoHornsGo90

@El_Alacran23 6'7" 5* wing forward Devonte Pollard is top target. 6'4" SG DeMarcus Holland from Ibeh's HS prob gets offer if JCB/Myck go pro

FYI, The competition for Pollard is strong -- he has visited Texas recently, he has shown interest in Alabama and Georgetown, he is supposedly watching with interest to see who Mississippi State hires to replace Rick Stansbury, and Kentucky is still hovering in the background, waiting to strike. And since he doesn't talk much, we have no specific idea of where Missouri stands. But his visits show the Tigers have a chance, and wow, what a late signing this would be.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I'm still not sure whether Holland has a commitable offer from Texas at this point

Blake Borron †@GoHornsGo90

@El_Alacran23 6'7" 5* wing forward Devonte Pollard is top target. 6'4" SG DeMarcus Holland from Ibeh's HS prob gets offer if JCB/Myck go pro

FYI, The competition for Pollard is strong -- he has visited Texas recently, he has shown interest in Alabama and Georgetown, he is supposedly watching with interest to see who Mississippi State hires to replace Rick Stansbury, and Kentucky is still hovering in the background, waiting to strike. And since he doesn't talk much, we have no specific idea of where Missouri stands. But his visits show the Tigers have a chance, and wow, what a late signing this would be.

J'Covan Brown did enter the draft so that does help Texas possibly land Holland should he stay in the draft.

Like Rudd, Brown has until April 10th to withdraw his name from the draft. I love that rule change made by the NCAA.

@FutureOfHoops

Creator of www.futureofhoops.wordpress.com and contributor to www.wildcatbluenation.com. http://www.futureofhoops.wordpress.com

Jordan Kendall †@FutureOfHoops

2012 SG, Demarcus Holland, of Naaman Forest HS (TX) has it down to Texas & USF. Will visit Texas soon & decision coming early April.

5:17 PM - 25 Mar 12 via web ·

Future Of Hoops’ Weekend Wrap Up

Posted: March 25, 2012 by jkendall12

"There was only one other recruit from the Class of 2012 that I was able to speak with this week and that was Demarcus Holland. Holland is a 6’3 shooting guard out of Naaman Forest High School (TX) who is considering you South Florida and the University of Texas. He committed to South Florida in February, but de-committed soon after that. He’ll make a visit to Texas sometime in the near future and will make a decision sometime in early April."

http://futureofhoops.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/future-of-hoops-weekend-wrap-up/

In that article from Future of Hoops, it also mentions 2013 player Desmond Ringer, a 6’9 forward:

Desmond Ringer, a 6’9 forward, from Eagles Landing High School (GA) was another prospect who was kind of enough to discuss their recruitment with me. When talking to Ringer, I was able to pick up his offers and schools of interest. He informed me that he Marquette, Cincinnati, Auburn, Mercer, Tulane, Central Florida, South Florida, and UNC-Charlotte have all offered him. Other schools showing interest in the 6’9, 230 pound forward are Arizona, Florida, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Florida State, and Villanova.