• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PG/SG Sam Cassell Jr (USF very interested)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

A tour of the new facilities is in order.

Maryland is not what they used to be for basketball. Most of the ACC is like that.

FSU should remain strong, so they'd be a good choice. USF is on the rise. Nova had a down year, but has a history of strength. Cassell would be a great add to close out the class.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

I just wonder out loud what chances USF would have over FSU or Maryland.

One school is his hometown....which he has already commited to....the other is his father's school....where he would be famous the moment he arrives at campus.

The only thing going for us.....is FSU has several guards ahead of him and he may have to wait for minutes....whereas....since USF really only has one PG in AC....he could come in and get 10-15 minutes immediately and could potentially split minutes or play full time as a true Freshman if there were any kind of injury during the season.

I think what we also have going for us is we're not his hometown and not where his dad played ... You never know what's going to trigger a young man's decision.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I think what we also have going for us is we're not his hometown and not where his dad played ... You never know what's going to trigger a young man's decision.

Yes, I did think of that. Like you said, without knowing what is important to him.....it is hard to know what will appeal to him. I think the new facilities can't hurt either.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Yes, I did think of that. Like you said, without knowing what is important to him.....it is hard to know what will appeal to him. I think the new facilities can't hurt either.

Perhaps, he would prefer playing in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

As of right now USF is his only scheduled visit. I believe the facilities and the location will really come into play here. I agree with Triple, I don't think Jr will end up at FSU because his father played there and most kids want to leave their own mark w/o the pressure to be like a famous parent.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Is Cassell a better player than Holland? And if it weren't for his father, would he be recruited by some of these schools still? I'm just wondering since I don't really know anything about him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

As of right now USF is his only scheduled visit. I believe the facilities and the location will really come into play here. I agree with Triple, I don't think Jr will end up at FSU because his father played there and most kids want to leave their own mark w/o the pressure to be like a famous parent.

Unless you're the Currys who wanted to follow their dad to Virginia Tech .... :ph34r:

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Is Cassell a better player than Holland? And if it weren't for his father, would he be recruited by some of these schools still? I'm just wondering since I don't really know anything about him.

A better shooter for sure but athleticism is in favor of Holland. By the recruiting experts Cassell is considered the best available guard on the market, a market that includes DeMarcus. The question is can Cassell successfully make the transition to the PG spot in college where most seem to think he plays no matter where he ends up. The thing that stands out with Cassell Jr is that he's a BIG SHOT TAKER AND A BIG SHOT MAKER, very equipped to play either in transition or the halfcourt. IF USF lands him I fully expect to see Jr getting 10-15 minutes per game as a freshman because he will be the best shooter on the roster.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Looks like he's on his way. This would be great, a last minute steal from Maryland. We could use another guy who can shpoot the rock. Apparently our season is starting to pay dividends already

Sam Cassell Jr. To Visit USF This Weekend

voodoo-xl_tiny.jpg by Ken DeCelles on Apr 4, 2012 12:00 PM EDT in USF Bulls Basketball

20120321_kkt_sq9_680_extra_large.jpg

Don McPeak-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire

17 days ago: Mar 18, 2012; Nashville, TN, USA; The South Florida Bulls mascot performs before a game against the Ohio Bobcats in the third round of the 2012 NCAA men's basketball tournament at Bridgestone Arena.The Bobcats beat the Bulls 62-56. Mandatory Credit: Don McPeak-US PRESSWIRE

With USF holding onto one and possibly two scholarships in the Class of 2012, Stan Heath will have former Maryland commit Sam Cassell Jr. come in for an official visit this weekend.

The 6'3" combo guard out of Baltimore reportedly committed to the Terrapins last week, but his father Sam Sr. quickly denied those claims.

USF is in need of another point guard, with Anthony Collins and Blake Nash as the only two ball handlers on the roster. If you're wondering why we'd like Cassell Jr. the roster, let Ben Broman from our sister site Testudo Times tell you, (link is above.)

If you identified three main needs for the Terrapins, it'd probably be someone who can play the point, an outside shooter, and a secondary perimeter scorer. And more than anyone else on the board, Cassell fills all three needs.

USF is also in need of all those things, plus his size would allow Stan to use two ball handlers against high pressure teams without giving up much size on the wing. In the highlight film below, you'll see his ability to shoot from anywhere, and it looks like he has his dad's stepback jumper down without a problem.

The Bulls are in a great position as they are the first team to get an OV after Cassell's decommitment. With visits to FSU and Villanova on tap, the Bulls will be able to show off the new facilities and possible playing time with a team that is primed for another quality season next year.

And if you don't think we will bring this gif out 100,000 times if he comes to USF, you really don't know us all that well.

410016_o_medium.gif

via gifsoup.com

We have some Cassell Jr. highlights after the jump. We'll have more for you after his visit this weekend.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=8334552&cid=416&source=feed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

No word from him on twitter about the visit.

Sam Cassell Jr †@sam2ss2ll

On the plane going back up north

9:13 AM - 7 Apr 12 via Twitter for Android