• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PG/SG Sam Cassell Jr (USF very interested)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

not surprised by this at all.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Cue his dad to cancel the commitment in 3.2.1...

What was up with that anyway? Trying to stick a knife in us by making us pay for a free trip to Tampa?

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982

What was up with that anyway? Trying to stick a knife in us by making us pay for a free trip to Tampa?

Well unfortunately that basically was all there was. Sam Jr was going to Maryland regardless of what a great opportunity he could have had here. Some kids decommit from a school and they really never look back. While others like Sam Jr decommit only in words but the heart and mind never did and end up staying with the schools after enjoying a few free trips.

I said it before and I'm saying it again, it is time for Heath to basically give up recruiting that area, because those valuable dollars spend on flights, hotels, etc. in the state of Maryland is a total waste. The time, effort, and money spend is better served in states like Texas, Tenn, Georgia, and Florida. Basically recruit the south. USF can occasionally takes shots up north but only when there is a real interest from that player about coming down south.

This dance with Cassell Jr has set the program back a step. During that time other players that have high D-1 potential have either signed or already trimmed their list down to the 2 or 3 schools they are considering. It's never good to put all your eggs in 1 basket, which is something I thought this program has gotten past doing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

This dance with Cassell Jr has set the program back a step.

It may have set recruiting back a step but the program itself rises and falls with on court production ...

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Gotta wonder who Stan is still looking at? He has 2 scholly's for next season.

Right now I am aware of senior xfer PF 6'9" Kore White from FAU who had xfered there from Marshall. If he couldn't dominate the Sun Belt....then I seriously doubt he will be a factor in the Big East but he can at least give you 5 more fouls and a 5th Big Man that only holds up a scholly for one season.

Other than that, I am not aware of anyone else.

Edited by usf97

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

He doesn't really need anyone else next season. We are in a good position where if we don't find either a diamond, or a hidden gem, we can pass and use those next year. I'm not sure the purpose of going for White other than a little more depth/experience. I guess the scholly would quickly be opened up again, so the negative is minimal. But I'd be fine with leaving BOTH open, if we don't fine what we need, and that is 3 point shooting and/or a top notch PG to play along with AC. Anyone else would just be a minor role player, which could be helpful, but not likely a game changer.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055

I agree we dont need anyone else. Im very excited about the players that we have. I feel the best thing for us is to win next season and retain the 2 commits we have and build that 2013 class with 2 more studs.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I said it before and I'm saying it again, it is time for Heath to basically give up recruiting that area, because those valuable dollars spend on flights, hotels, etc. in the state of Maryland is a total waste. The time, effort, and money spend is better served in states like Texas, Tenn, Georgia, and Florida. Basically recruit the south. USF can occasionally takes shots up north but only when there is a real interest from that player about coming down south.

Not so sure why you would be so quick to give up recruiting this area. Over the years this has proven to be a pretty good area for us. Chris Howard, Gilchrist, Omogobehin (obviously jury is still out on him). Isn't this the area where we originally started recruiting Waverly Austin from?

I think a lot depends on what connections and relationships the coach has with the AAU and HS coaches in that area. Seems like we have had just as much success landing decent players from that area as we have just about anywhere else.

Collins is the first player from TX that I can remember making an impact. We landed Leday. Hopefully he pans out. Can't say that TX has really been a proven hotbed for us. Why Tennessee? Have we ever landed a recruit directly to USF from the state of TN? The only ones I can recall coming from the state of TN are Ron Anderson who, by the time he got to USF was more than 3 years removed from playing HS or AAU ball in TN and now Brock who is 4 years removed from playing ball there.

Seems like MD/VA has been one of the most productive places we have recruited from over the years.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055

Oh yeah and give their dad a video job that coffee getter coaching job to make sure they arrive on campus

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

If he sits tight....then I wonder if he will go ahead and give walk-on G Mike McCloskey a scholarship for his Senior year like he did with Alberto Damour.