• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Possible Agreement With WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

That would be a strong economic disincentive that would also bring some stability to the league

Unelss the ACC or Big 10 poach a team.

True, but the 27 month window holds. They either have to wait it out or give us a binding agreement that prevents further poaching. The only team the Big Ten would be interested in is Rutgers - and I don't think they will expand anyways. The ACC already is waiting out Pitt and Cuse. If they want them out before the 2014 season then they'd have to pay out the same binding agreement. The window is quickly closing for them to get Rutgers and UConn at the same time as Pitt and Cuse.

That's why this is about more than just a payout from WVU.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  820

I disagree TCU was not part of the league, (now the 27 month issue is different with them) They paid $5 million to leave and they were apart of the schedule for 2012, just like the new teams are part of the Big East now, but not playing members yet. This is why there is already a void in everyones BE schedule including USF's.

http://www.voodoofiv...chedule-problem

Why does the Big East not just do away with the 27 months in the future and do what the Big 12 is going to do? Because right now Big East only works as an agent to the schools to negotiate contracts and disseminate monies. In Big 12 this year all teams sign over television rights to the conference for X years, so therefore if you leave, bye bye, but your TV money stays with the conference until your time is up. This agreement with the Big 12 is for 6 years, hell all this can start again then for WVU.

• Content Count:  312

I disagree TCU was not part of the league, (now the 27 month issue is different with them) They paid $5 million to leave and they were apart of the schedule for 2012, just like the new teams are part of the Big East now, but not playing members yet. This is why there is already a void in everyones BE schedule including USF's. http://www.voodoofiv...chedule-problem Why does the Big East not just do away with the 27 months in the future and do what the Big 12 is going to do? Because right now Big East only works as an agent to the schools to negotiate contracts and disseminate monies. In Big 12 this year all teams sign over television rights to the conference for X years, so therefore if you leave, bye bye, but your TV money stays with the conference until your time is up. This agreement with the Big 12 is for 6 years, hell all this can start again then for WVU.

If we're going to ask all the questions..... Why doesn't WVU honor the contract they signed with the Big East? You really got nothin better to do than worry about this on a USF thread. Long/Short of it - Either WVU & the Big XII are going to be ponying up some fat cash to break the contract, or you'll be playing in the Big East. I hope we hold you feet to the fire and make you stay. Then I hope you enjoy getting owned by Texas and Oklahoma ever year.

• Content Count:  4,501

Just another note : If WV leaves the BE next year they are proably going to have to play a nine game schedule so I am guessing the FSU game is out the window and that is like 500k cost to WV. I don't remeber if that is being considered in that 25 million number or even if we have talked about it. LORDY LORDY WVU must have some really deep pockets. I know USF could not even come close to those numbers.

More than likely this is correct, as I stated before, FSU looks like the are getting a 500k check to cancel. (This is not part of $25 m number to BE).

The Marshall & Maryland games are home games so they won't be bought out. It appears WVU will raise ticket prices 5-10% this year, and require more donations to acquire seating. Also WVU started selling beer at games again this year which netted ~$750k.

The JMU game has a payout of over $1M and a buyout over a $1M to the Redskins, so its not being bought out.

The additional TV revenue from the BIG 12 (extra over Big East contract) would return the $25M in about 3 years payback.

The buyout to BE ($25M) may be over 5 years as part of agreement (RUMOR), or partially funded by Big 12 from Mizzou's payment per Neinas interview (would need voted on), remember Big 12 needs 10 in 2012 to not renegetiate TV contract, therefore if Mizzou payments helps us get there Big 12 stays out of TV contract negotiations.

WVU has some deep pockets for athletics but this happened at a somewhat bad time, Huggins just hit up donors to pay for his Basketball Practice Facility that will be opening soon for the full amount of ~$26.5 million.

Holy crap - a net of 750 k from beer sales ? Are there really that many drunks at the games or do they charge like $15 a beer. I mean your average attendance is like 56 and for 7 games that is 392,000.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Really getting sick of this drama.

Probably alone when I say I'm ready for WVU to GTFO already.

You are not alone. i agree completely.

There has been inklings of Louisville not being the 11th team, starting after the last BIG 12, when a major reporter reported that UL was a "lock" for 11. Did a gentlemens agreement happen between the two conferences, some believe there has been.

Note : the two twitter posts above

1. Memphis comes from EERinsider a WVU connection (throw **** on wall something will stick)

2. Boise St tweets is coming from what appears Boise St insiders saying that Big East is pushing them to join in 2012, if the Big East doesn't need Bosie St in 2012, why is this happening and why would Big East want Boise St to pay $7mil to get here early, (/see link in post #265)

To fill their schedules? what does boise joining early have to do with WVU's claims? if anything it disproves them as it shows the big east can get a team better then WVU in there for 2012... it strengthens their case in court...

WVU claims they had no choice but to leave because the big east did not fullfill its fiduciary duties to the football schools... adding Boise by 2012 shows that WVU simply didn't wait to see what the big east was doing.if anything the big east can say that the WVU is causing greater damage then Sry or Pitt, in that those founding members are not trying to leave immediately and are biding by their contractual agreements... its the timing that kills WVU in this contract dispute... that's kinda what happens when you listen to old Wayne Luck.

Your argument of a gentleman's agreement doesn't come into effect here... big east if acting in its best interest will demand something in writing. it comes down to is the big 12 willing to wait 3-5 years to poach another team to fulfill its contractual obligations? or is the big east going to jump at a settlement and be short sided... sadly this is where smazza is right.

at the end of the day i had a "gentlemans agreement" for a 5% raise at the end of last year... i didnt have it in writing... and i got the same 2% everyone else got... this is what happens with gentleman's agreements.

I have to agree with jvwvu on this one. If the Big East is trying to get Boise for 2012, it is so they can finish an agreement with WVU. Which means the B12 is helping WVU pay a BIG payout. If it can happen, I think the Big East should do it. Take $25 mil from WVU, spend $7mil or so to help Boise take WVU's place. Pitt and Cuse aren't going to pay that much money to leave in 2012. So then the BE is set for 2012 and 2013 when Pitt and Cuse likely leave for a smaller buyout but larger than $5mil.

Boise replacing WVU means the BE is as good or probably better in 2012 than it would be with WVU. Gets some excitement going with the new BE lineup, and probably even helps grease the skids for the next TV negotiation. I'm not sure what the BE would do with the extra money, but I'm sure schools like USF wouldn't mind pocketing an extra mil or two.

Why on earth would the BE take 7 million out of a 25 million settlement from WV to pay Boise. If you make a deal like that the 7 million gets added to the 25. I mean really. How dumb do you think the BE could be. Well I know some folks on here think they aren't to smart.

Really getting sick of this drama.

Probably alone when I say I'm ready for WVU to GTFO already.

You are not alone. i agree completely.

That is the same for eveyone and WVU is counting on that. The BE has said nothing on this and seems to be holding firm. Should be some leaks by now. I still think the BE is in the drivers seat for change.

No you are not alone - I am ready for WVU to GTFO but I want them to feel the pain.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

simple solution. big 12 should offer 1 OOC game a year for evey current big east team for next 2 years. 1 home and 1 away. that replaces wvu on everyone's schedule. plus cash to offset loss in tv revenue from wvu departure. they all have cupcakes they can replace or push back. if they really want wvu then they can sacrifice for the betterment of their conference.

We should pick first, so we can get Kansas.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

GTFO WVU! Pay your money and go away....

The more I read-the more I just want to move on from them....

Archived