• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Egbunu C / Drew Davis PG, Eagles Landing HS, McDonough GA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Florida high school basketball talent has always been week compared to the hotbeds of Michigan, Indiana, NY, and Cali. Maryland/VA/NC is a notch below.

Georgia high schools are on the talent rise. If you look at the ESPN Top 50 High School teams a lot of GA schools are in there (with one being #2).

Hopefully they stay and I have liked the recruiting uptick recently from basketball. Let's keep it up.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Heath lands two for 2013, including 7-footer

It's still 19 months before they get to campus, but Stan Heath has picked up two commitments for 2013, as a pair of high school juniors from McDonough, Ga. -- 7-foot center John Egbunu, originally from Nigeria, and 6-foot point guard Drew Davis -- committed after an unofficial visit.

Egbunu is just starting to register on the recruiting radar -- his legal guardian is Davis' father, Linzy Davis, who runs the George Elite AAU program and brought Egbunu to the United States earlier this year.

"He is a 7-footer with a 38-inch vertical that can run the floor faster than guards. He's the most domininating player in Georgia since Dwight Howard," said Davis, who said he has worked with 75 players that went on to play in the NBA. "He's a tremendous young man, his attitude is off the charts. At South Florida, he said 'Here I can start my own legacy.'"

Egbunu and Davis attend Eagles Landing High School, though they are not playing for the school's basketball team, opting instead to play a prep school schedule for Georgia Elite Christian, a team run by Linzy Davis, who said the higher level of competition will help their progress. Egbunu is the second Nigerian center the Bulls have landed in the past year -- 7-foot-3 Jordan Omogbehin is redshirting this season and will play for the Bulls in 2012-13.

Egbunu has the potential to be a national top-10 player, and Davis said the two commitments should put USF among the top recruiting classes for 2013 nationally, though no major recruiting sites have updated their rankings yet. How was USF able to land such a top-tier prospect? Davis said he's had a long relationship with first-year Bulls assistant Steve Roccaforte, going back to his days as a Memphis assistant.

"They went down and made an unofficial visit and loved it," Davis said. "They really loved Stan Heath and his style. I believe South Florida is a gold mine. You're playing in the No. 1 conference in the country. Going north was not an option for these guys (seeking warmer weather)."

Davis said he discovered Egbunu at a national basketball camp in Lagos, Nigeria, three years ago, when he was a 6-foot-7 eighth grader. His academics are strong, Davis said, and he expects both players to make regular visits to Tampa next season to be around the program. Both players chose the Bulls over Memphis, but Davis said he expects them to honor their commitment and stick with the Bulls.

"From our standpoint, this is a 100 percent firm commitment," Davis said. "I'm big on loyalty and commitment. We believe Tampa is a beautiful city, and you'll see us in Tampa often."

Heath has one scholarship available for 2012 and is likely to use it on a post player, and with these two commitments, he would have only one additional scholarship available for the 2013 class, presuming all players stay in the program between now and then.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah man I thought this was something different.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055

Its news that both of the kids live in the Davis household. This could be good or bad we will see.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982

Package duo pops for South Florida

In recent years, South Florida has relied on junior college transfers perhaps as much as any program in a BCS conference. That may be changing as coach Stan Heath seeks to add stability to the Bulls program with over four seasons under his belt now.

So-called package deals are rare in college basketball recruiting, perhaps occurring less often than the average fan might believe. The Bulls though, have landed a duo that is unquestionably a package deal in the 2013 class, current high school juniors, as evidenced by the fact that the players live within the same household.

Team Georgia Elite teammates Drew Davis, a 6-0 guard and John Egbunu, a 7-0 center, both attend Eagle’s Landing (Ga.), but do not play at the school, instead playing on the Christian schools tournament circuit, for long-time AAU and high school coach Linzy Davis, Drew’s father. Egbunu is a native of Nigeria that resides in the Davis home.

While Davis is thought to be a decent shooter, the prize here is Egbunu. He had plenty of high-major interest before pulling the trigger for South Florida. He’s an active and potential filled interior player that could rise up the charts. With three junior college players already signed for next season, Egbunu will be given the opportunity to develop behind an experienced roster as a senior, and could be a strong player in the decimated Big East.

I think it's safe to say that USF will probably sign another PG for the 2013 class with Dority leaving and Davis not considered that great of prospect at this point by the recruiting experts. At least I haven't found anybody other then his father that considers him a great PG prospect. We'll just have to see.

http://beyondthearc....jarnell-stokes/

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Drew Davis = another Solomon Bozeman?

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Watching the various YouTube videos of Drew Davis making all those long 3 pointers, reminded me of Reggie Kohn. I think he will end up being a great player for USF. Just wanted to go on record. :)

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Drew Davis and John Egbunu provide one-two knockout blow to previous unbeaten GAAA

by Kenny Woods

Atlanta- 6'0 2013 PG Drew Davis scored 32 points including nine 3 pointers, and added 12 assist with 10 of them coming to 7'0 2013 C John Egbunu, who scored 27 pts, 16 rebounds, 13 blocks, to lead Georgia Elite Christian (1-0) past previously unbeaten GAAA (9-0) 88-78. They are the new John Stockton/Karl Malone combo. Davis and Egbunu have verbally committed to the University of South Florida, and will compete in the Big East Conference.