• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Egbunu C / Drew Davis PG, Eagles Landing HS, McDonough GA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

This guy is going to make us a force to be reckon with

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982

NBPA TOP 100 CAMP - SESSION 5 JAM FEST - NY2LAHOOPS.TV

Yep Kuran Iverson lit Egbunu up on that dunk. The play of the tournament is what facial has been called.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

NBPA TOP 100 CAMP - SESSION 5 JAM FEST - NY2LAHOOPS.TV

Yep Kuran Iverson lit Egbunu up on that dunk. The play of the tournament is what facial has been called.

But, Egbunu came right back from that and did some good things himself. He didn't seem intimidated.

NBA Top 100 Camp: Standouts and Evaluations

John Egbunu 2013 C

Egbunu has all the physical tools to be great. At 6’11†he is strong and very athletic. The South Florida commit can run the floor and bang down low, a big time combination. He is a strong, aggressive rebounder that goes up for boards with two hands. Although not overly skilled at this point, Egbunu can get a few buckets down low simply due to his aggression and ability to finish through contact. He already rolls well after setting screens, and once he develops a go-to post move then he will become a legitimate threat at the offensive end. Defensively, he can already be an impact player. His size, strength, and energy make him a force. Egbunu could end up being a major steal for South Florida.

http://recruitinghype.blogspot.com/2012/06/nba-top-100-camp-standouts-and.html

John Egbunu’s name might not be known to most fans that follow basketball around the Southern Crescent, but the 7-foot McDonough resident is quickly making a name for himself on the basketball recruiting circuit.

As the all-important July summer recruiting begins, Egbunu will be closely watched by national recruiting services and college coaches. The rising Eagle’s Landing High senior has already committed to South Florida, but that surely will not stop many college coaches from making their pitch.

Earlier this month, Egbunu had an impressive showing at the prestigious National Basketball Player’s Association Top 100 camp in Virginia. The invitation-only camp features instruction from former and current NBA players on basketball and life skills.

Many recruiting analysts left impressed with Egbunu.

“He is tough as nails and he plays hard,†said Eric Bossi, a national basketball analyst for Rivals.com. “Not many people knew about him going into the camp, but I definitely left with a great impression.â€

Egbunu, a Nigeria native who has been in the United States for two years, is the highest rated player in the Southern Crescent by the majority of the recruiting services. He is currently at No. 141 by Rivals, but that number will likely change in the next rankings, according to Bossi. During the course of two years, Egbunu has gone from a little-known Nigerian soccer player to the eighth-ranked prospect in the state.

And his stock is still rising.

“He will definitely move up,†Bossi said.

Egbunu said he is ready to use the skills he acquired during the camp to improve on his game.

I learned a lot of things that are going to help me,†he said. “I think my game will speak for itself.â€

Linzy Davis, Egbunu’s AAU coach and mentor, said the rugged center will face some good competition this summer on the AAU circuit. This past season, Egbunu played a few games for Eagle’s Landing High before rejoining his elite travel team.

Bossi said he had heard about Egbunu through some contacts, but wanted to see him for himself. Those contacts proved to be right.

“The way he plays makes me want to see him again,†Bossi said. “He is one of those players you have to keep an eye on.â€

While basketball is relatively new to Egbunu, who grew up playing soccer in his native Nigeria country, Davis said his coordination and determination has quickly allowed him to become a major college prospect.

Egbunu’s athleticism is what has impressed the recruiters the most.

“He has great potential,†Davis said. “We are looking forward to him having a good summer. John is playing against elite competition which should excel his growth in the game.â€

http://www.henryherald.com/news/2012/jun/26/growth-acceleration/?sports

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653

If he stays committed to us how long do you think he would stay with us before going pro? Guy has a lot of potential

If he stays committed to us how long do you think he would stay with us before going pro? Guy has a lot of potential

I think he stays committed because Linzy Davis wants his son to play High D-1. USF is probably the only elite conference school that will offer Drew Davis a scholarship in order to land Egbunu. Linzy Davis is in control here.

Egbunu's development at USF will depend on the pieces around him. The key is having a team where Egbunu isn't asked or expected to carry a load offensively. I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses throughout the summer now that everyone knows about him.

His stock improved on Rivals. He went from #141 to #121. He's closer to being ranked with 4 stars. He needs one more bump to do that. They now list him as 6'9.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752

His stock improved on Rivals. He went from #141 to #121. He's closer to being ranked with 4 stars. He needs one more bump to do that. They now list him as 6'9.

http://rivals.yahoo....kings/rank-2752

I think if anybody still gave rivals any credibility before the recent release of their new 150 rankings, after today they shouldn't have any left.

I stop paying for Rivals and Scout a little while ago because of many things. Their rankings of athletes that aren't going to the Duke, UNC, and UK of the world is a joke. I believe it was Digger Phelps and a couple more that said live on ESPN that kids get bumped up in recruiting just because they go to a Duke.

I would love to see USF get a Jermaine Lawrence who just skyrocketed to 19th and a 5* rating. Wonder how far he would fall in the next update if that were to happen.

The rankings hurt the recruitment of the less prominent programs because kids like seeing their names with high rankings and tend to favor or list the schools that will garner the attention.

Well, at least he's moving up the rankings. Usually, players move down the rankings when they commit to USF.