• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It could be worse... we could be

slbpsi63

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

It all depends on exactly what the grad assistant told Paterno.

sounds like he told him a grown man was taking a shower with a 10 year old, at best. probably told him much worse but even if it was just that Paterno needed to not only report it to police but follow up and make sure something was done about it. he passed the buck. lame excuse especially at his level.

That's an assumption. I'm not saying what happened was right, but we don't know exactly what happened. I can imagine numerous scenarios that might have occurred between the GA and Paternao that would result in various responses.

It's a terrible situation, but I'm not going to fault or not fault Paterno until I know what he was told.

"I think Sandusky was doing something inappropriate" and "Sandusky was molesting a 10 year old in the shower" lead to wildly different responses in my opinion.

according to Paterno's own testimony, the GA told paterno that he had seen Sandusky in the showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. pass the buck Joe. nothing the cops need to be aware of. what a disgrace.

Well, HLN just reported that the grad student saw him having sex with a boy.... so if that's the case and what was seen, there is absolutely no defense.

You're right ... there is no defense for the GA ... What's still up in the air is what the GA told Paterno.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I don't understand how the board is not already blowing up the athletics dept...

• Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Well, HLN just reported that the grad student saw him having sex with a boy.... so if that's the case and what was seen, there is absolutely no defense.

You're right ... there is no defense for the GA ... What's still up in the air is what the GA told Paterno.

This is true.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

The grad assistant should have first 1. freed the child from sandusky 2. then to beat the hell out of him 3. disarm him by removing his privates 3 call the law 4 Tell Joe and the Penn State that they will need a new DC right away . 5 And yeah, please have the janitor clean the football teams showers

Exactly my thoughts-why didn't the GA stop it?

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

sounds like he told him a grown man was taking a shower with a 10 year old, at best. probably told him much worse but even if it was just that Paterno needed to not only report it to police but follow up and make sure something was done about it. he passed the buck. lame excuse especially at his level.

That's an assumption. I'm not saying what happened was right, but we don't know exactly what happened. I can imagine numerous scenarios that might have occurred between the GA and Paternao that would result in various responses.

It's a terrible situation, but I'm not going to fault or not fault Paterno until I know what he was told.

"I think Sandusky was doing something inappropriate" and "Sandusky was molesting a 10 year old in the shower" lead to wildly different responses in my opinion.

according to Paterno's own testimony, the GA told paterno that he had seen Sandusky in the showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. pass the buck Joe. nothing the cops need to be aware of. what a disgrace.

It's not still up in the air. Paterno himself testified to the grand jury that the GA came to him very upset and told him that Sandusky was in the shower with a 10 year old boy and that he was fondling or doing something of a sexual nature. Paterno himself testified this in front of a grand jury. There is no doubt that Paterno knew something illegal happened. Passing it up the chain of command may satisfy the law but for him not to take this to the police or at least tell the 28 year old that was in fear for his job that he needed to go to the police is a disgrace. Maybe you guys don't want to believe the truth but to make excuses for Paterno is absurd. There are so many people that failed in this situation and Paterno is certainly one of them.

That's where I'm at with this now. It took the grad assistant a day to even go to Paterno. He didn't intervene to stop Sandusky from raping a boy or go to anyone except his dad immediately. What if he went to Joe and told him he just heard Sandusky proposition the boy? That's horribly disturbing, but it's on a different level. Just going up the chain of command is the right action. And if the AD went to the GA and he told him the whole truth then, they might've been the ones to make sure he'd have a job at Penn State as long as he wanted one to keep quiet.

I really don't know. But I'd sure be ashamed if I didn't have the guts to step in and stop something like this from happening. I'd like to think that if Paterno knew the extent of what had happened that he'd have gone straight to the authorities.

After calming down since first hearing this, I'm not so quick to hammer Paterno on this. The grad assistant, yes. He saw what happened and did nothing for a day. He let it happen. He didn't stop it. Not sure I think he actually told Paterno what happened.

read the grand jury findings. Paterno himself admitted that the GA told him Sandusky was in a shower with a 10 year old and that some fondling or something of a sexual nature occurred. Sure the GA should have done something but to act like Paterno had no idea what was going on is false.If someone told you that a grown man was in a shower with a 10 year old and fondling or something of a sexual nature was going on what would be your first action? i hope it's to call the police.

That's where I'm at with this now. It took the grad assistant a day to even go to Paterno. He didn't intervene to stop Sandusky from raping a boy or go to anyone except his dad immediately. What if he went to Joe and told him he just heard Sandusky proposition the boy? That's horribly disturbing, but it's on a different level. Just going up the chain of command is the right action. And if the AD went to the GA and he told him the whole truth then, they might've been the ones to make sure he'd have a job at Penn State as long as he wanted one to keep quiet.

I really don't know. But I'd sure be ashamed if I didn't have the guts to step in and stop something like this from happening. I'd like to think that if Paterno knew the extent of what had happened that he'd have gone straight to the authorities.

After calming down since first hearing this, I'm not so quick to hammer Paterno on this. The grad assistant, yes. He saw what happened and did nothing for a day. He let it happen. He didn't stop it. Not sure I think he actually told Paterno what happened.

That could be quite likely. Remember, this guy would have a G.A. position on the line. He could have easily said things in a way that would have kept it from blowing up in his face if Sandusky tried to reprise against him. Football coaches tend to hold an absurd amount of power on campus over administrators and pay, and it would have been quite easy for Sandusky to retaliate and get the G.A. fired. After all, Sandusky is in a position of trust-he's the one who's been around a while, and he has the power to spin things his own way.

But this entire situation reeks. It looks to me like Joe Paterno's days are over, on a thing that could have been handled long ago.

Paterno's understanding of the situation according to his grand jury testimony was that a grown man was in a shower with a 10 year old boy and some fondling or something of a sexual nature was going on. That alone is enough to go to the police. even if the GA didn't tell him the graphic details.

• Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

That could be quite likely. Remember, this guy would have a G.A. position on the line. He could have easily said things in a way that would have kept it from blowing up in his face if Sandusky tried to reprise against him. Football coaches tend to hold an absurd amount of power on campus over administrators and pay, and it would have been quite easy for Sandusky to retaliate and get the G.A. fired. After all, Sandusky is in a position of trust-he's the one who's been around a while, and he has the power to spin things his own way.

But this entire situation reeks. It looks to me like Joe Paterno's days are over, on a thing that could have been handled long ago.

Paterno's understanding of the situation according to his grand jury testimony was that a grown man was in a shower with a 10 year old boy and some fondling or something of a sexual nature was going on. That alone is enough to go to the police. even if the GA didn't tell him the graphic details.

In my case it would be. There is no excuse for this sort of B.S. in this situation. But Paterno probably felt drunk on his power as one of the most powerful men on campus. I think he covered it up because of that same drunk on power attitude. No fraudster thinks they're an unethical slimeball, even though they are. They will always find a way to justify it to themselves.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

After reading that part of the GJ report, I've got to agree that JoePa made a huge mistake by not following up, if he indeed didn't ...

Archived