• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It could be worse... we could be

slbpsi63

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I waited several days to write this because my first thought was what I would do if someone did something like this to my child. My initial reaction -- and I'm fairly certain most parents would feel this way -- was homicidal. If someone molested my child, he would need the police to protect him from me. If I found him first, his death would be neither quick nor clean. I might spend the rest of my life in prison, though I'm not sure a right-thinking jury would convict me. Those were the first thoughts that popped into my head, and I'm not ashamed to say that. So why didn't Paterno, a parent and grandparent who claims to have dedicated his life to the kids, feel the same way? Why didn't he do everything in his power to ensure he helped protect a kid who couldn't protect himself? I thought if I waited a few days I could look at the situation through a more rational lens. I can't. Every time I think about it, I get more angry. And I pray that I can protect my kids from the monsters, because apparently not everyone feels the same responsibility. If Paterno would sit silently for years about this, he has no business representing a proud university. Fire him now, not in days or weeks as The New York Times is reporting. I don't give a **** how many games he's won.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/11/08/penn-state-joe-paterno-scandal/index.html#ixzz1d95QACQC

Andy Staples saying what most are thinking.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It all depends on exactly what the grad assistant told Paterno.

sounds like he told him a grown man was taking a shower with a 10 year old, at best. probably told him much worse but even if it was just that Paterno needed to not only report it to police but follow up and make sure something was done about it. he passed the buck. lame excuse especially at his level.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Inexcusable that no one went to the police. Pains me that Paterno is involved in the non-reportage of a crime. We all make mistakes but agree that if he says he's spent his life helping young people reach their potential, to a certain extent, he's failed here. These type of crimes scar the lives of the victims. Can't ever take it back.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

sounds like he told him a grown man was taking a shower with a 10 year old, at best. probably told him much worse but even if it was just that Paterno needed to not only report it to police but follow up and make sure something was done about it. he passed the buck. lame excuse especially at his level.

That's an assumption. I'm not saying what happened was right, but we don't know exactly what happened. I can imagine numerous scenarios that might have occurred between the GA and Paternao that would result in various responses.

It's a terrible situation, but I'm not going to fault or not fault Paterno until I know what he was told.

"I think Sandusky was doing something inappropriate" and "Sandusky was molesting a 10 year old in the shower" lead to wildly different responses in my opinion.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

"I think Sandusky was doing something inappropriate" and "Sandusky was molesting a 10 year old in the shower" lead to wildly different responses in my opinion.

I looked over the grand jury finding today and they found that Paterno was AT LEAST notified of an inappropriate situation where Sandusky was in the shower with a young boy. Apparently Paterno told his AD and that's about it. The fact that he did not call the police and didn't investigate the situation himself is pretty damning in and of itself, imo.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Also hearing some things about someone who went missing a while back that was involved in the previous accusations, someone who was trying to investigate or something. And hearing that someone supposedly within the PSU police who was investigating was told to drop his case and move on with some of the things going on years ago.

Sounds really bad, and afraid this will get worse as the light shines on it. Joe Pa will be fired before Saturday, book it...and his legacy will be tarnished forever.

Feel bad for the current players who have nothing to do with this and have to deal with it all.

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

the grand Jury report is disturbing. There where many occssions for different people to come forward and they ALL failed to do it. this man is a predator and people were scared of his position at the school. Here is the link:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdf

May they all burn in hell for staying quite, they should have reported this a decade ago.

That's an assumption. I'm not saying what happened was right, but we don't know exactly what happened. I can imagine numerous scenarios that might have occurred between the GA and Paternao that would result in various responses.

It's a terrible situation, but I'm not going to fault or not fault Paterno until I know what he was told.

It doesn't matter what exactly happened. that was not joe Paterno's responsibility to find out. It was the police investigators.

the GA told him a grown man was naked in the shower with a 10 year old. You can play semantics all you want but that should not go unreported to the police. I can't believe people would actually defend his actions.

according to Paterno's own testimony, the GA told paterno that he had seen Sandusky in the showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy. pass the buck Joe. nothing the cops need to be aware of. what a disgrace.

Archived