• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

No inside info here, just a guess:  add UL, WVU, USF.  Can split North/South along OK/KS border.  SEC still needs a team and WVU still in play for them.

If someone did say that thing about "not going to the coasts," who exactly are they trying to rule out?  UCONN, SanDiegoSt, and ECU aren't exactly on their radar, and I doubt they would go out of their way to exclude USF in such a cryptic fashion.  I agree with DataBull that the line was there to save face (Pac12).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

No inside info here, just a guess:  add UL, WVU, USF.  Can split North/South along OK/KS border.  SEC still needs a team and WVU still in play for them.

If someone did say that thing about "not going to the coasts," who exactly are they trying to rule out?  UCONN, SanDiegoSt, and ECU aren't exactly on their radar, and I doubt they would go out of their way to exclude USF in such a cryptic fashion.  I agree with DataBull that the line was there to save face (Pac12).

Do we have a scrabble between the SEC and Big12 to get WVU... this could really speed up the process if so.

SEC would be fine w/o WVU at 13 if the Big12 got in first....

I'll be happy if we can get in on that 6 year pact they have of no revenue to a new conference... ACC looks like a good SEC target now and maybe they can't get an FSU or VT but I'm sure they could get Clemson if they had no other options to get to 14.

• Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

If they are really looking at expansion again I'm sure their first targets will be BYU and Notre Dame.  BYU might say yes but Notre Dame could go anywhere they want and would probably decline.  That would leave them looking for another 2 members to get back to 12.  ACC schools are off the table at this point unless you're conference is named the SEC.

Two schools to get to 12, or four to get to 14 members.  I'd say UConn and Rutgers our out for sure if they're serious about wanting to keep their geography in tact.  Let's take a look at a map.

Blue Stars = Big XII

Green Circles = Remaining Big East including TCU

KK21k.gif

Let's be honest here.  TCU is out because they've already got the state of Texas on lockdown.  If you're driving from Oklahoma or Texas it really isn't that much farther to get to USF than it is to get to Louisville, Cincy, or WVU.  A flight to Tampa will be about 30 minutes longer than a flight to Louisville for 2/3rds of the conference.

Obviously there are some wildcards.  They could take a school from a mid major or something, but I think we have as descent a chance as anyone else in the Big East.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Days Won:  12

Whoever is not following blauds on twitter should.

Writer for Boston Globe, sounds informed. Here are a few nuggets:

TCU not a concern to leave as much as UL.

BE may be facing surprisingly low tv contract.

BE better off w/ UCF and ECU than trying to sell to others.

True these have all been speculated, coming from a professional writer is another thing

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

True these have all been speculated, coming from a professional writer is another thing

Whatever!  I certainly don't want USF committing to this "after birth" of a conference.  The Providence Mafia can kiss my ass.  Mr. Potato Head needs to take a dirt nap!!

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

Beebe and company have appeared to be running the squabbling BigXII like a bunch of rank amateurs.  Let's hope Neinas is as professional as his reputation makes him seem to be, struts into the room, and tosses the Boise St and Air Force applications into the garbage.

All of us here have been quite confident in what USF brings to the table, lamenting how other schools (and their fans) have no clue who we are, what we've done, and what we could be.  Not saying we are in, but I really do think Neinas would elevate our application to the level it deserves, giving us a legitimate shot.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

for the sake of the Big East's image, perception and possibly AQ status in the long run it sucks, but in reality Cuse and Pitt are epic **** and mediocre **** respectively, neither having won or even sniffed a BCS bowl in years (if i recall Pitt's last trip to a major bowl was an assthrash at the hands of Utah). WVU and TCU-- both recent BCS bowl winners-- are solid cornerstones should the conference remain intact. Cinci had a historic season a couple years ago, making it to a BCS bowl (and losing, but still...) USF is poised to take the next step. i hope Louisville can get back on track to at least respectability. the Ville and Cinci are the closest things we've got to "allies" in this situation. Rutgers can remain a basement school good for the NY market and UConn should be dropped immediately in favor of UMass, just to spite them. ok maybe not in favor of UMass but they should be booted ASAP for their shameless public whoring.

after that i think Navy, Air Force and Temple should be top choices, the former two due to prestige/tradition (Colorado is not a stretch when we've already got Ft. Worth on the travel schedule) and the latter because the Philly market is huge and Nova hasn't sufficiently progressed in its attempts to stop sucking. might as well throw ECU a bone while we're at it-- they want in and they've proven they can compete and win against AQ schools, and i like what i've heard about their presence in Carolina. if ECU can regularly beat UNC, NCSU, Wake and Duke on the field and in recruiting we can send an extra "**** you" to the ACC.

WVU

TCU

USF

Cinci

Navy

Air Force

Rutgers

ECU

Temple

if WVU bolts for the SEC, we're screwed. B12 would probably take TCU, the Ville and Cinci in that order before taking us. if WVU goes to the B12 the rumors are that the three former CUSA schools (USF, Ville, Cinci) would come as a package deal. if there is any validity to the rumors that the SEC is still considering WVU as a consolation prize if Mizzou stays put, that essentially means our fate is in WVU's hands. where they go has a significant impact on where the rest of us go, and USF likely stands the most to lose if WVU goes to the SEC.

we need Mizzou to SEC to push WVU + USF/Ville/Cinci to Big 12.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

Why does his gossip sound more informed than any other writer's gossip?

• Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

for the sake of the Big East's image, perception and possibly AQ status in the long run it *****, but in reality Cuse and Pitt are epic **** and mediocre **** respectively, neither having won or even sniffed a BCS bowl in years (if i recall Pitt's last trip to a major bowl was an assthrash at the hands of Utah). WVU and TCU-- both recent BCS bowl winners-- are solid cornerstones should the conference remain intact. Cinci had a historic season a couple years ago, making it to a BCS bowl (and losing, but still...) USF is poised to take the next step. i hope Louisville can get back on track to at least respectability. the Ville and Cinci are the closest things we've got to "allies" in this situation. Rutgers can remain a basement school good for the NY market and UConn should be dropped immediately in favor of UMass, just to spite them. ok maybe not in favor of UMass but they should be booted ASAP for their shameless public whoring.

after that i think Navy, Air Force and Temple should be top choices, the former two due to prestige/tradition (Colorado is not a stretch when we've already got Ft. Worth on the travel schedule) and the latter because the Philly market is huge and Nova hasn't sufficiently progressed in its attempts to stop sucking. might as well throw ECU a bone while we're at it-- they want in and they've proven they can compete and win against AQ schools, and i like what i've heard about their presence in Carolina. if ECU can regularly beat UNC, NCSU, Wake and Duke on the field and in recruiting we can send an extra "**** you" to the ACC.

I didn't know Jim Rome was on this board.

• Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

If they are really looking at expansion again I'm sure their first targets will be BYU and Notre Dame.  BYU might say yes but Notre Dame could go anywhere they want and would probably decline.  That would leave them looking for another 2 members to get back to 12.  ACC schools are off the table at this point unless you're conference is named the SEC.

Two schools to get to 12, or four to get to 14 members.  I'd say UConn and Rutgers our out for sure if they're serious about wanting to keep their geography in tact.  Let's take a look at a map.

Blue Stars = Big XII

Green Circles = Remaining Big East including TCU

KK21k.gif

Let's be honest here.  TCU is out because they've already got the state of Texas on lockdown.  If you're driving from Oklahoma or Texas it really isn't that much farther to get to USF than it is to get to Louisville, Cincy, or WVU.  A flight to Tampa will be about 30 minutes longer than a flight to Louisville for 2/3rds of the conference.

Obviously there are some wildcards.  They could take a school from a mid major or something, but I think we have as descent a chance as anyone else in the Big East.

Great post... putting on a map really makes things more clear... you said 2 schools or 4 to get to 12 or 14....

It's 1 school to 10 and 3 schools to 12.

I think they likely add either 3 or *gasp* 5 teams... it just seems like going to 14 to be on par with the ACC and future SEC seems like a stronger move than stopping at 12.

Easily just add East West divisions and the travel wouldn't be much worse than it is now. I don't think there will be North South divisions because all the teams want to be able to visit Texas for recruiting.

If they added any of the 5 among the 6 here... WVU, BYU, USF, Cincy, UL, TCU I don't know how anyone could see that as a bad move. Adding those teams the conference would begin to rival the SEC as the strongest on the field.

WVU is locked in and safe from the clutches of the SEC and the SEC either stays happy at 13 or goes after an ACC team.

If they add 3 I think you choose between USF, WVU, UL and BYU.

And some of you please stop posting scenarios in which USF gets left out and stuck on short bus with UCF. I can't take it anymore and refuse to think about it anymore... It's Big12 all the way right now for me...

Archived