• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kofi Amichia, OL, McEachern HS, Powder Springs, GA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

No bull: Amichia commits to play at South Florida

by Adam Carrington

acarrington@mdjonline.com The Marietta Daily Journal

July 30, 2011 12:24 AM

Kofi Amichia had concerns about his future when he hurt his arm during spring practice.

Fortunately for the offensive guard, the injury made him no less valuable as the rising McEachern senior committed to South Florida on Friday.

Amichia’s future now appears to be decided as he chose the team from the Big East Conference over Southern Mississippi, Cincinnati and Indiana.

“There is no question that I’m very happy for him,†McEachern coach Kyle Hockman said. “He sustained a good injury to his arm on the first day of spring practice, but the schools stayed with him and recruited him. Now, he’s healthy and doing well.â€

Hockman anticipates that Amichia will likely redshirt his first season to adjust to the college game, and to add muscle to his 6-foot-3, 263-pound frame.

He’s already gained significant muscle weight from his junior season.

“I was about 225, 230 last year,†Amichia said.

One of the selling points Amichia took from South Florida was the school’s persistence following his injury. The Bulls’ coaching staff seemed to have already known what they would be getting in locking up Amichia.

That alone made Amichia’s college decision an easy one, and now he can focus on McEachern’s upcoming season.

“I’m really happy knowing that I can go to college for free,†Amichia said. “My parents won’t have to be stressed out about that.

“When I hurt (my arm), it wasn’t major. (South Florida) knew it was a little injury, and it didn’t backfire on me that much. They were always checking on me all the time. That’s what I liked about them.â€

In getting Amichia to commit, South Florida may be getting a few quality assets. He was only responsible for one opposing sack last year in the 12 games that he started for McEachern. He also excelled at protecting Trent Thompson’s blind side and opening up McEachern’s ground attack.

Amichia helped the Indians finish with a 10-2 record, as well as an undefeated region mark for the second straight season.

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story_sports/14893079/article-No-bull--Amichia-commits-to-play-at%E2%80%88South-Florida?instance=special%20_coverage_right_column

He is #65 on Rivals Georgia top 75.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/UGA/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2866

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is playing in a big event this weekend and doing well.

Kipp Adams

@KippLAdams Sandy Springs, GA

Currently the recruiting writer for UGASports.com, part of the Rivals.com/Yahoo Sports network.

KippLAdams Kipp Adams

#USF commit Kofi Amichia has shown very quick feet so far tonight for McEachern & looks like he could play anywhere on the OL.

37 minutes ago

Jamie Newberg (ESPN) also had some nice things to say:

JNewbergESPN Jamie Newberg

Been impressed w USF commit Kofi Amichia from McEachern vs N. Gwinnett @ the #CorkyKell Classic. Very athletic OL w good feet & athleticism

1 hour ago

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

Yet he is STILL not ranked by Rivals....

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I've asked twice for them to rank him. They were watching him play today hopefully it will be forthcoming

I've asked twice for them to rank him. They were watching him play today hopefully it will be forthcoming

I also asked previously.

Apparently, they needed film of him which they now have.

KeithRIVALS Mr. Keith Niebuhr

RT @kippladams: #USF commit Kofi Amichia has shown very quick feet for McEachern & looks like he could play anywhere on the OL///// good pt

9 hours ago »

KippLAdams Kipp Adams

#USF commit Kofi Amichia has shown very quick feet so far tonight for McEachern & looks like he could play anywhere on the OL.

9 hours ago »

KippLAdams Kipp Adams

No film. @KeithRIVALS is here evaluating him now. RT @KippLAdams Why won't Rivals rank Kofi Amichia?

9 hours ago

August 21, 2011

Kipp Adams

UGASports.com

In the 20th anniversary of the Corky Kell Classic, eight teams once again went head to head at the Georgia Dome Saturday, and UGASports was in attendance for all four matchups of Gwinnett and Cobb high schools. Over 25 players in the games are projected to play FCS football at the next level, and here are some who stood out at the Dome.

McEachern vs North Gwinnett

Kofi Amichia: Amichia, a USF commitment, was very impressive in the win over North Gwinnett. The 6-foot-5, 260-pound lineman showed very good feet and was able to buy time for Trent Thompson to make plays for the Indians. He has the size and athleticism to play any position on the offensive line at the next level, and is a great get for the Bulls.

http://usf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1254572

• 5 years later...

On 8/20/2011 at 11:49 PM, Ricky the Bull said:

Yet he is STILL not ranked by Rivals....

Ha! Ha! He got the last laugh!!!

Kofi Amichia acknowledging the crowd

blob.thumb.png.d1a12c30ee1b203e1dec7a9aee255bb7.png

He ended up being ranked 3* on Rivals, but he didn't have any big time offers.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2012/kofi-amichia-55863

I thought I should bring this thread back up, in view of the many complaints about the lack of P5 offers from our current commits.

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

2 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Ha! Ha! He got the last laugh!!!

Kofi Amichia acknowledging the crowd

blob.thumb.png.d1a12c30ee1b203e1dec7a9aee255bb7.png

He ended up being ranked 3* on Rivals, but he didn't have any big time offers.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2012/kofi-amichia-55863

I thought I should bring this thread back up, in view of the many complaints about the lack of P5 offers from our current commits.

I love these thread resurrections!  thanks for pulling this back up.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Dude blossomed his junior and senior year -- now playing for my beloved Packers....go Pack go!