• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Wharton HS **2013**

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

According to Josh Newberg, this kid got an offer from FSU.

Yes, I saw that.  Josh thinks he is not a "lock" for USF and wrote a story about that, but it's premium info which I can't read. I would be very surprised if he didn't sign with USF.

I wouldn't, not all kids want to play for their dad.  Some kids want to get out of the nest and experience new things and places.  Also FSU should be pretty good the next couple of years so it will be easy for a kid to get caught up in all of the "We're Back" hype much like kids did with UF during the Tebow era and Sign there no matter the depth chart.   

Good point. 

Read somewhere that he has always been an FSU fan.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Free article:

2013 CB a fan of Florida State

Josh Newberg

29 hours ago

Tampa (FL), Wharton High School 2013 cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III is in a situation unlike many recruits – his father, Vernon Hargreaves Sr., is the defensive line coach at USF. He was hired by Skip Holtz and will be entering his second year with the Bulls. There is speculation that Hargreaves will follow his father to USF, but that might not be the case.

7_79171.jpg

2013 CB Vernon Hargreaves

On Friday, Hargreaves received his second scholarship offer. It came from Florida State.

“I was real excited,†said Hargreaves. “It’s cool because they’re one of my favorite schools.â€

“Since I moved here, two years ago, I’ve just always liked Florida State. I like Jimbo Fisher, the recruiting classes and I like the way they play defense, the corners at FSU have a lot of success.â€

While he lives in Tampa now, Hargreaves has also lived in Miami (9 years) and Greenville, NC (3 years) while his dad made coaching stops at UM and ECU. When his dad coached at ECU, Hargreaves developed a relationship with the defensive coordinator who was there at the time, Greg Hudson. Hudson is now the linebackers coach at Florida State.

“I’m sure he’ll be recruiting me, he used to coach with my dad at ECU. I love coach Hudson, he’s so funny and he has a son (Garrett Hudson) who is my age. Me and Garrett always mess around with each other and say that I’ll go to FSU and he can go to USF. It’s going to be crazy when coach Hudson calls to recruit me!â€

Besides FSU, South Florida has also offered Hargreaves. There are other teams showing him interest as well. Florida, Notre Dame and Miami have come by and watched him practice this spring.

Is there pressure for Hargreaves to stay in Tampa and play for the Bulls?

“There isn’t pressure for me to go to USF,†Hargreaves laughed. “I’m not sure what I want to do. Playing for my dad would be nice, but he’s not making it awkward, I don’t feel pressure.â€

Greg Hudson coached with Hargreaves father at ECU.At 6-foot and 175-pounds, Hargreaves is going to be one of the top cover-corners in the state of Florida next year and it’s only a matter of time until Florida and Miami offer.

“I don’t remember much about Miami. I remember little things, but I was really young. I think we moved from there when I was eleven. I was a kid, I wasn’t really paying attention,†Hargreaves added. “I don’t know as much about Florida as I do UM and FSU. I’ve always liked UF a little bit, not like how I like Florida State, but they’re all right.â€

When choosing a school, Hargreaves says there are more important factors to him then where his dad coaches.

“I want to go to a school with a great coaching staff and a fun environment to be around. I’ve watched some of FSU this past year and their corners are very aggressive and play physical, I like that style of play.â€

Hargreaves hasn’t made definitive summer plans. He says he’ll compete at USF’s camp and wants to attend Jimbo Fisher’s camp in Tallahassee, but that trip is not set yet.

Josh Newberg is a staff writer for Noles247

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Article/Top-2013-CB-a-fan-of-Florida-State-25717

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

i think USF is still in the hunt for this kid.  I know this article shows a lot of FSU love, but he realistically has USF too.  he might be more inclined to pull the trigger at USF if we have success this season.  this kid wants to be part of a winning team.

his dad will also make sure he goes where he feels it fits him the best.  expect a heavy dose of recruiting when he's on campus for the USF camp.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Hargreaves laughed. “I’m not sure what I want to do. Playing for my dad would be nice, but he’s not making it awkward, I don’t feel pressure.â€

Not yet. But envision Jimbo coming for an in home visit. That would be the night Coach Hargreaves host all the USF coaches for film study. 

Hargreaves laughed. “I’m not sure what I want to do. Playing for my dad would be nice, but he’s not making it awkward, I don’t feel pressure.â€

Not yet. But envision Jimbo coming for an in home visit. That would be the night Coach Hargreaves host all the USF coaches for film study. 

It sounds more like you are arguing my point.  ;)  ;D

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

You never know what a kid may do. He should enjoy his recruitment process.

However, he would be insane, to go anywhere other than where is Dad is coaching. Sure it may seem awkward.....but one way or another.....he will benefit for having his Dad around. Whereas anywhere else.....he will become just another kid that commited. The honeymoon will be over the moment he signs that LOI whereas, he would be shown more respect and attention for nothing other than who his Dad is at USF.

I have worked in both environments, with family and where I was just another Joe......both have good and bad points but generally you benefit from the blood relation more.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

You never know what a kid may do. He should enjoy his recruitment process.

However, he would be insane, to go anywhere other than where is Dad is coaching. Sure it may seem awkward.....but one way or another.....he will benefit for having his Dad around. Whereas anywhere else.....he will become just another kid that commited. The honeymoon will be over the moment he signs that LOI whereas, he would be shown more respect and attention for nothing other than who his Dad is at USF.

I have worked in both environments, with family and where I was just another Joe......both have good and bad points but generally you benefit from the blood relation more.

very true

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

So is it a recruiting violation when dad says during dinner, "So, what do you think about USF? Look at the DBs we have sent to the league the last 5 to 8 years."

• 4 weeks later...

HomeTeam Recruiting catches up with Wharton junior defensive back Vernon Hargreaves after his MVP-like performance at the USF Sling-N-Shoot June 11-12.