• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sources say BYU going Independent (done deal), could affect BE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Who the hell is BYU?

I see USF plays BYE twice this year, but I'm pretty sure that means there's no game that week...   ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

wont happen.  THey want a notre dame like deal, and there is no way they can generate that kind of attention nationally.  They want NCAA assurances.

Never gonna happen.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

why be forced to schedule a bunch of crappy conference teams just for a low tv and bowl payout. the majority of that conference is dead weight.

Scheduling 4 WAC teams doesn't help them

better than scheduling all the mountain west teams.

they can play a national schedule now. control their own bowls and tv.

Boise is the only good team in the WAC and they're going to the Mountain West, so there is no way that scheduling 4 WAC is better.

They may be biting off more than they want with their own tv deal. They don't carry anywhere near the appeal, or audience, of Notre Dame.

they get 8 games against anybody in the country now instead of being forced to play 8 games against crappy conference opponents.

they are no longer forced to play wyoming, new mexico, san diego state, unlv, colorado state.

those 5 alone are just as bad as any wac team and they have to play all 5 every year.

I wish we would do it. I'm tired of playing in the BE. Finances aside, if I knew we would schedule good competition(not necessarily a given considering Woolard's penchant for cupcakes), Id love it. load up with new top 10, top 25, top 40 programs every year instead of the same old boring conference mates.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

wont happen.  THey want a notre dame like deal, and there is no way they can generate that kind of attention nationally.  They want NCAA assurances.

Never gonna happen.

No, they'll never get the same stipulations as ND in writing, but I imagine that for all intent and purpose if they finished in the top 10, they'd be in a BCS game regardless.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Never gonna happen.

No, they'll never get the same stipulations as ND in writing, but I imagine that for all intent and purpose if they finished in the top 10, they'd be in a BCS game regardless.

I couldn't see the BCS having a problem with something similar. they have 10 slots now. BYU has a huge following. Hell Hawaii was in a BCS bowl recently.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

TCU - Big 12. Book it!

BYU got left @ the altar when their most hated rival received the golden ticket. Now they are trying to compensate.

Guest nybullsfan

TCU - Big 12. Book it!

BYU got left @ the altar when their most hated rival received the golden ticket. Now they are trying to compensate.

I disagree. Big 12 is already on record as saying there will be no more Texas teams invited.

IMO, TCU's got as good of a shot of getting into the Pac 10 as they do of getting into the Big 12. Which is to say, none.

I think TCU's already been on the phone to the BE, and we may hear something soon, but that's just my guess.

Based on the urban nature of the BE, I also predict Houston and Memphis, but we'll see, won't we??!!

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Never gonna happen.

I couldn't see the BCS having a problem with something similar. they have 10 slots now. BYU has a huge following. Hell Hawaii was in a BCS bowl recently.

The national press was beating it up on air today.  The problem is that ND can have good years, and bad years, and are still thought of in high regard on a national scene.  They are a national brand, kind of like the Yankees are.  That is teh only reason they can do what they do.

BYU does not, nor will they ever, have that level of prestige or brand recognition. They will not get the same coverage by the national press, nor the polls, nor the NCAA that ND gets. 

The general opinion is that they will not go independent as they won't get the assurances they need.  IF they go independent, who wants to play them?  If they don't end up with a decent SOS because they don't have a conf affiliation, then not likely that they can play for an NC.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Never gonna happen.

The national press was beating it up on air today.  The problem is that ND can have good years, and bad years, and are still thought of in high regard on a national scene.  They are a national brand, kind of like the Yankees are.   That is teh only reason they can do what they do.

BYU does not, nor will they ever, have that level of prestige or brand recognition. They will not get the same coverage by the national press, nor the polls, nor the NCAA that ND gets.   

The general opinion is that they will not go independent as they won't get the assurances they need.  IF they go independent, who wants to play them?  If they don't end up with a decent SOS because they don't have a conf affiliation, then not likely that they can play for an NC.

You don't need to play for a NC to make money.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

They also don't need ND type money.  All they were getting was 2 mil a year and for what teams are getting payed to come play BCS teams BYU could do very well.  They have a great following,a nice history and everyone loves offense and that(at least in the past) was what they were about.  It will be interesting to see what they do.

Archived