• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Godfrey has BIG Plans

cygnus34

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Knights hit the jackpot

Jeffrey Godfrey has big plans for his future career at UCF.

The Miami-Central quarterback not only hopes to win the starting job next season, but beyond that he's looking to take the Knights to greater heights. Godfrey, one of the best recruits to ever commit to the program, spoke first to UCFSports.com about his decision to play for the Knights.

Godfrey announced his commitment Sunday night and will be joined at UCF by two of his high school teammates, wide receiver Joshua Reese and cornerback Jammal McClain. The Knights are also in the mix for a fourth Miami-Central standout, running back Brandon Gainer.

Jeffrey Godfrey is rated the No. 8 dual-threat QB in the nation.

"Joshua Reese, Jamal McClain and I have been talking about UCF with our coaches," Godfrey said. "That's where we decided we want to go. We want to come in and make an impact. We also want to get our education and get our degree. We see that we can come in and help to change the program around and help the players that are already there. We want to come in and do a great job, all three of us. We want to do great things at the University of Central Florida."

He won't have to wait long to begin his college career. Godfrey completed all the necessary classes to graduate from high school early and he'll be enrolling at UCF next month. He'll be one of several quarterbacks in spring practice competing for the starting job.

"I'll be reporting on Jan. 7," Godfrey said. "I'm doing a lot of shopping and packing now. I'm ready to get up there and get it going."

Godfrey says he made his commitment to George O'Leary via telephone and the head coach told him he'd have every opportunity to win the quarterback position this spring.

"I told Coach O'Leary I want to be a Knight and he said, 'That's great. That's great to hear and it's great to have me there,'" Godfrey said. "He said I'll have a chance to compete for the starting job and that's what I want to do. I've been a starter for all four years of high school. I've never sat the bench. That's what I'm coming to do in college. I want to come in and play right away. Coach O'Leary made the promise to me that I will compete for the starting job. That's what I want to do."

He says he spoke to virtually all of UCF's coaches after he made the commitment and they couldn't have been more excited.

"They all said it's great to have me there," Godfrey said. "They want me to come in and do a great job, get the team ready and fired up. Show the leadership that I have. That made me feel good about myself that they think I have that sort of leadership to get the team pumped up and be the starting quarterback."

In particular, Godfrey said he really valued the relationship he developed with UCF assistant head coach and wide receivers coach David Kelly, who recruited him.

"Coach Kelly is like another father to me," Godfrey said. "When he calls me we wouldn't talk about football very much. We'd talk about education, how my family was doing, just little things. Every time he calls it's not always about football and that's one thing I love about him. We'd talk about his family and my family. I also have a little girl on the way. He's like another father figure."

Godfrey wasn't able to visit during the season, but he did make a trip to UCF last spring. He said he plans to major in accounting.

"I saw them practice," he said. "I saw their indoor facility, the dorm rooms, everything. Everything looked great. I had a great time when I was there. I loved the place. I loved the environment. The school is very big. I love their facilities. I just fell in love with it when I went up there."

Godfrey will end his career as the most prolific passer in Miami-Dade history after finishing his senior year with 2,748 yards and 36 touchdowns. He says he'll bring the same drive to UCF.

"My mom always told me I've got to work hard," he said. "Nothing in the world comes free. You've got to work for it. I'm going to come in and do the work. I'll go to class and do everything I have to do to be the starting quarterback for UCF. I'm going to make sure I have my grades where they need to be to get my degree.

"My goal is to get UCF to the national championship. That's what I want to do and that's my goal. I want to come in and make a great impact for myself and the UCF team. My motto is, 'One love, one team, one family,' and that's what I'm going to bring to UCF. I want to bring the team up and leave there with a national championship."

• Content Count:  247

hope he's talking about getting them a championship in another sport cause thats definately not going to happen in football.  Maybe he can help them with ultimate frisbee!!! ;D

• Content Count:  403

I'm trying to think back to whether or not O'leary has ever had a dual-threat QB.. 

I can't blame the kid for wanting to go somewhere and start... Here, he'd have to compete with Carnes and BJ.

• Content Count:  720

I for one don't think this kid would've ever saw the feild at QB here but, I do love his attitude and YES he's a VERY good QB and a great get for UCF. I would still have loved to have him because of the package deal and competition at QB is a good thing. From what I've seen on youtube Carnes is the better QB but, remember Carnes hasn't signed an LOI yet either. If we somehow lose Carnes we are in BIG trouble!

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I'm trying to think back to whether or not O'leary has ever had a dual-threat QB..   

I can't blame the kid for wanting to go somewhere and start... Here, he'd have to compete with Carnes and BJ.

Pretty sure O'Leary was at GT when Hamilton was there. 

• Content Count:  403

Pretty sure O'Leary was at GT when Hamilton was there. 

Hamilton, that's the kid I was thinking about. 

• Content Count:  720

Greco was a fairly high rated Dual Threat QB as well. Even had an offer from USF.

Archived