• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

:::Keith Clanton signs with:::

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

So far, we have wiped our a$$ with CUSA's very own SMU and lost a last minute heartbreaker at UVA by 2.  The BE schedule (with 7 top 25 teams awaits).

I'm sorry, but it just slays me that Clanton chose UCF over USF.  We are at least a part of big-time basketball.

Like i said before, I can understand a football player choosing UCF over USF, but UCF hoops is simply bad and irrelevant. . . . . we're just bad (for now).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

life goes on...

It does and we will be fine. We found Rivas Sanchez and Leemow late last spring and both guys make us better. We signed Akol, McMillan, and Teague last spring and while neither is currently here they can all play. Now we might get Teague and McMillan back.

I can tell you that as it stands right now there will be some very talented guys available this coming spring and frankly we do a lot better in that time because most of the big schools are all filled up.

I've been impressed by Sanchez and Leemow so far.  Sanchez was 1 board away from a double-double against Virginia, and Leemow plays with a lot of energy, especially on defense.

How do you know McMillian and Teague might be back?  Was that reported before and I just forgot?

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I've been impressed by Sanchez and Leemow so far.  Sanchez was 1 board away from a double-double against Virginia, and Leemow plays with a lot of energy, especially on defense.

How do you know McMillian and Teague might be back?  Was that reported before and I just forgot?

Both Teague and McMillian expressed strong desires to return to USF and Heath told both that if they take care of their academics they are welcome back. I'll list some updates on both as we go along in our recruitment leading up until the spring signing period. McMillan is at Miami Dade County and it will be 2010 before he can come back.  Teague Jr is at APEX Academies in Pennsauken and is the #1 postgrad player in NJ.

Gene Teague quote

Teague Sr said his son is in the process of choosing a prep school he can attend for the next year, allowing him to improve his SAT score to meet the NCAA's requirements. USF remains in communication with Teague, who would have his full eligibility remaining if he rejoined the Bulls.

"Coach (Stan Heath) said he has a scholarship for him if he gets cleared," Teague Sr.

McMillan quote

"Coach Heath said once I clear, my scholarship is there for '09. I'm still a Bull," McMillan said. "They're still my No. 1 choice, and I want to play basketball there. I'm going to clear, but too late to play there this season."

Both statements were made back in August.

• Content Count:  3,403

Both Teague and McMillian expressed strong desires to return to USF and Heath told both that if they take care of their academics they are welcome back. I'll list some updates on both as we go along in our recruitment leading up until the spring signing period. McMillan is at Miami Dade County and it will be 2010 before he can come back.  Teague Jr is at APEX Academies in Pennsauken and is the #1 postgrad player in NJ.

Gene Teague quote

Teague Sr said his son is in the process of choosing a prep school he can attend for the next year, allowing him to improve his SAT score to meet the NCAA's requirements. USF remains in communication with Teague, who would have his full eligibility remaining if he rejoined the Bulls.

"Coach (Stan Heath) said he has a scholarship for him if he gets cleared," Teague Sr.

McMillan quote

"Coach Heath said once I clear, my scholarship is there for '09. I'm still a Bull," McMillan said. "They're still my No. 1 choice, and I want to play basketball there. I'm going to clear, but too late to play there this season."

Both statements were made back in August.

Cool. I was excited about McMillan.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  6,813
  • Days Won:  22

So far, we have wiped our a$$ with CUSA's very own SMU and lost a last minute heartbreaker at UVA by 2.  The BE schedule (with 7 top 25 teams awaits).

I'm sorry, but it just slays me that Clanton chose UCF over USF.  We are at least a part of big-time basketball.

Like i said before, I can understand a football player choosing UCF over USF, but UCF hoops is simply bad and irrelevant. . . . . we're just bad (for now).

• Content Count:  580

As it stands right now we will win more head to head match ups with them than we will lose.

On the field or court - heck yeah.  Which is what's really important anyway - I'd rather have your number there than on the recruiting trail.  But for whatever reason - we do.  Josh Robinson is another one that is down to both of our schools.  After that UAB disaster which was a culmination of our season - he might sway towards USF if he makes his decision in the next week.  But I don't know - we're still getting good responses from recruits despite the disaster and having at least some sort of coaching change at the OC or position levels written-on-the-wall.

We'll see...

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  65

What is big time about USF basketball?

- No fan support

- No student support

- Never made the 12 team BE tourney

- Only team in BE with losing record before conference play begins

- No quality non conference wins

- Very few non quality non conference wins

- No commitment to coaching stability

Honestly, USF doesn't offer anything to a potential recruit that outweighs the above.  There are plenty of players who are willing to be a part of a growing program but really USF hasn't demonstrated anything either on the court or in the stands to demonstrate that they are going anywhere.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

UCF just got beat by Valpo.

'nuff said.

Got blown out by a rebuilding Valpo. We are not talking about a rebuilding big conference school. We are talking about a rebulding mid-major. ;D

And UCF returned the favor...blowing out Valpo as UCF built up a 35 pt lead before calling off the dogs.

If the game at Valpo was a blow-out, then the game in Orlando (where Valpo never lead for 1 second) was a super colossal blowout! :D

• Content Count:  1,037

What is big time about USF basketball?

- No fan support

- No student support

- Never made the 12 team BE tourney

- Only team in BE with losing record before conference play begins

- No quality non conference wins

- Very few non quality non conference wins

- No commitment to coaching stability

Honestly, USF doesn't offer anything to a potential recruit that outweighs the above.  There are plenty of players who are willing to be a part of a growing program but really USF hasn't demonstrated anything either on the court or in the stands to demonstrate that they are going anywhere.

- playing top 25 teams almost every game in the toughest conference in the country

- USF has gotten good attendance in the past

Just because you filled your arena for the USF game doesn't mean you have great fan support- you couldn't even sell that game out. Currently USF hasn't had good attendance number, but wait until ranked big east teams start coming to town on a weekly basis. BTW, 35% of the top 25 teams in the AP Poll are big east teams so a chance at immediate playing time against top competition should sound good to a lot of recruits. USF has sold out the 10K seat arena in the past. Our basketball team just hasn't given us much to cheer about this year.

Archived