• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

‘Pooh Bear’ Mars

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Sep 02, 2008 04:04 PM 

By Brian McLaughlin

Sporting News

Larvez ‘Pooh Bear’ Mars has the reputation of being one of the hardest hitting players in Florida. The 5-foot-11, 205-pound LB accumulated 163 tackles last year for Apopka (Fla.), and is known for his speed and quick reaction time on the field.

He’s starting to get a better feel for what he wants to do, college-wise.

“South Florida or UF, or UCF, Kentucky or Cincinnati,†Mars told Sporting News Today. “It will be out of those five. I don’t have offers from all five yet. Kentucky and Cincinnati have offered me, and USF might soon.â€

Mars’ coach, Apopka’s Rick Darlington, said his player would be a delight for any college program to pick up.

“He’s just a very fun person to be around,†Darlington told SN Today. “He never has a bad day. He’s a very pleasant hard worker, a four-year starter. He loves to practice and loves to lift weights. He makes plays all over the field. He’s just a great, great, great player.â€

Mars—who is a four-star prospect according to Rivals.com—said he would like to stay close to home, and he may wait until signing day to make his decision.

He said he got his nickname 'Pooh Bear' from his mother when he was a little boy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheRecruitnik/165840

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I hear he's pretty good.  However, this once again shows the flaws in the star system.  A four-star whose two offers are cincy and UK, and Ryne Giddens is a 4-star with dozens of offers. 

I hear he's pretty good.  However, this once again shows the flaws in the star system.  A four-star whose two offers are cincy and UK, and Ryne Giddens is a 4-star with dozens of offers. 

I presume his height for a LB, just like Quavon Taylor, is limiting his offers. We too usually go after taller guys for that position, but when they are TALENTED we find a place where they can excel.

• Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

Man.. that would be a nice pick up. Apopka is a great program to start a good relationship with! And he is a monster.

• Content Count:  4,016

We already have a relationship with Apopka, Marvin Peoples plays for us.  I doubt Mars gets offered because he's a bit overrated. 

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

We already have a relationship with Apopka, Marvin Peoples plays for us.  I doubt Mars gets offered because he's a bit overrated. 

Yeah but he has 4 stars  ;D

• Content Count:  622

Yeah.. and they are loaded and ranked # 17 in the Nation.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Wasn't Marvin a transfer from Maryland...........or am I getting my backup LBs mixed up?

Wasn't Marvin a transfer from Maryland...........or am I getting my backup LBs mixed up?

Yes, he transferred from Maryland.

Scout lists him as having gone to Evans HS in Orlando, but that was when he was a junior. He graduated from Apopka.

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=1663042

His official USF Profile:

Marvin Peoples 

# 56 

Linebacker - LB 

Height:  6-2   Weight:  242 

Junior 

Previous Affiliations 

Apopka HS 

Maryland 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 08/09/2007 

Saw first action for USF in 2006 after receiving an NCAA transfer waiver, having used a redshirt year at Maryland in 2005...Returned to Florida to be closer to family in Apopka (near Orlando).

SOUTH FLORIDA – 2006: Played in two games against Syracuse (Nov. 11) and Louisville (Nov. 18).

MARYLAND – 2005: Utilized redshirt season.

APOPKA HIGH SCHOOL - A one-year letterwinner and starter... Transferred prior to his senior year from Evans High School in Orlando where he was a three-year letterwinner and two-year starter ... Posted 105 tackles (70 solo), eight tackles for loss, five pass breakups, a fumble recovery and an interception as a senior ... Returned the fumble and interception for touchdowns ... Registered 98 tackles and three sacks as a junior at Evans... Senior honors included second team all-state, first team all-metro and first team all-district ... Also named first team All-Orange County and All-Central Florida by the Orlando Sentinel ... Named to Florida recruiting analyst Bill Buchalter's Top 100 list ... All-Southeast region selection by PrepStar ... Timed at 4.68 in the 40-yard dash with a 340-pound bench and 290-pound power clean as a prep ... Tradition-rich Apopka went 9-2 his lone year there, losing in the regional finals ... Lettered in track (shot put and discus) ... Also recruited by UCF, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, West Virginia and Iowa State ... High school coach as a senior was Ty Ensor.

Personal - Marvin Peoples lives with guardians Greg and Lynn Thompson (aunt and uncle) ... maintained a 4.0 grade point average in high school.

Archived