• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wow did we miss out....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Rueb, I've worked in athletic departments and I've seen how budgets run through them. I've seen USF's Revenue and Expense forms and trust me the money isn't there for a $1M+ basketball coach. We had less than $3 Million in donations in 2005, that's meager compared to K-State's 9 Million +.  A lot of that goes to the football program right now.

Basketball itself is considered a revenue sport, however, few make much money off of it. That is why you see so many basketball schools putting considerable amounts of money into their football programs. It makes a lot more money.

USF is not in a position to pay a basketball coach 1.2 Million, ticket sales don't make up that kind of money, and I doubt booster contributions would start flying in. They haven't for football yet, I wouldn't imagine basketball having similar success.

As for K-State as a bubble team. They were on the bubble the last two years heading into the final weeks of the season, as usual (just liek right now) the team melted down and lost several games, popping that bubble.

Finally your guestimation that the students would show is terribly flawed. Our biggest sport, football, only averaged 4500 students this year. I think you'd see some interest, but I doubt it would be the astounding amount you'd think.

The biggest name in free agent coaches the last few years was Bobby Knight, he increased attendance at Texas Tech from 10,000 to 13,000. We've seen similar from Huggy bear. People don't come to watch a guy on the sideline, they come for the product on the court. While I think Huggins might have improved the team, I don't believe it would be the drastic improvement you're making it to be.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Joe, good post. I don't doubt your knowledge of athletic dept's, I just doubt the constraint that a budget really places on a school when an opportunity like this arises. Schools/businesses/govts always seem to find ways to get around a budget. I just will never buy into the budget constraint excuse. I might be completely wrong; which I am fine with, but we won't get the chance to find out.

As for KSU being a bubble team; I'm still not buying. According to your logic, 165 teams are on the bubble until they get deep into their conference schedule. 6-10 & 4-12 are the only conference records KSU has had in the 4yrs prior to Huggy. That's not a bubble team. A bubble team is Syracuse at 9-5 in the BE, not a 5-9 KSU team in the BXII...imo.

Comparing USF football attendance to bb is apples to oranges. USF football games take up more time/money/energy than bb games. It takes up the whole day to go to a USF football game if you're going to do it right.

For example:

USF football game (Saturday):

1) Buy food & beer (11am-12pm)

2) Drive down to RJ (1-2pm)

3) Tailgate (2-6pm)

4) Go to game for 3 hours (7-10pm)

5) Drive home (10-11pm)

6) Collapse into an alcohol/sun/food/heat coma. (I miss football season)

USF BB game (Any night game):

1) Drive to the game (6:45-6:50pm)

2) Watch game, buy 2 beers (7-9pm)

3) Drive home. (9-9:05pm)

4) Still have energy; do whatever you want. (ie go to www.thebullspen.com and fling poo.)

Apples to oranges. A bb game is far less consuming.

Rueb