• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF football growing on Tampa Bay fans?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

Guys, get back on topic.  Too much talk about the Bucs attendence.

AB, maybe you could move the posts about the attendance to General Sports. I need to show HB the error of his ways ....  ;)

I never said the stadium was a sellout during the early years only that the area around my seats (west side) was full and that was pretty much the case between the 10s/20s  on that side. IMO the Bucs had a very good following for an expansion team.  Tampa had nothing going for it entertainment way back in those days outside of places like the Tanga Lounge and wrestling at Homer Hesterly ;D

Who really cares about the Bucs anyway...this is a Bulls site.

At the risk of feeling the wrath of Apis, your point about 70's NFL expansion teams being just as popular as 90's expansion teams is indefensible. Compare the first two years attendance of the Bucs to the first two years of Carolina for a prime example .... and I care about the Bucs .... most of the time.  ::)

but he roots for a divison rivial all year  ::)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,477
  • Days Won:  422

It is going to be very tough to draw fans to USF games now that Tom Viet has left. He was a marketing genious. Just ask him, he will tell you.

You're joking, right??

Can't tell if it's a joke or not until we find out what a "genious" is ...

Guys, get back on topic.  Too much talk about the Bucs attendence.

AB, maybe you could move the posts about the attendance to General Sports. I need to show HB the error of his ways ....  ;)

I never said the stadium was a sellout during the early years only that the area around my seats (west side) was full and that was pretty much the case between the 10s/20s  on that side. IMO the Bucs had a very good following for an expansion team.  Tampa had nothing going for it entertainment way back in those days outside of places like the Tanga Lounge and wrestling at Homer Hesterly ;D

Who really cares about the Bucs anyway...this is a Bulls site.

At the risk of feeling the wrath of Apis, your point about 70's NFL expansion teams being just as popular as 90's expansion teams is indefensible. Compare the first two years attendance of the Bucs to the first two years of Carolina for a prime example .... and I care about the Bucs .... most of the time.  ::)

but he roots for a divison rivial all year  ::)

Not all year .... just all season.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

I just had good chuckle....Bien telling me how it was in the early years of the Bucs...I was a Charter Season Ticket Holder (1976 - me not my daddy) and he was 6 years old.

I recall the game day traffic on the Howard Frankenstein and on Dale Mabry and don't remember seeing a kid riding a Big Wheel or tri-cycle  to the games.

I just had good chuckle....Bien telling me how it was in the early years of the Bucs...I was a Charter Season Ticket Holder (1976 - me not my daddy) and he was 6 years old.

I recall the game day traffic on the Howard Frankenstein and on Dale Mabry and don't remember seeing a kid riding a Big Wheel or tri-cycle  to the games.

Surely you're still not trying to convince anybody that the NFL was just as popular then as it is now?

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Compare the home game attendance vs the same team in their stadium...An tell me the Bucs weren't drawing good crowds in Tampa.

09/17/1978      16-10     W      @      MINNESOTA      46152

10/01/1978      7-24      L            MINNESOTA     [highlight] 65972 [/highlight]

10/22/1978      33-19      W            CHICAGO      [highlight]68146[/highlight]

11/26/1978      3-14      L      @      CHICAGO      42373

10/29/1978      7-9      L      @      GREEN BAY      55108

12/03/1978      7-17      L            GREEN BAY      [highlight]67754[/highlight]

09/02/1978      13-19      L            N.Y. GIANTS      67456

10/15/1978      14-17      L      @      N.Y. GIANTS      [highlight]68025[/highlight]

i made some decent $$$$$$$$$$$ selling orange cloth hankerchefs back in the day

Can someone tell me where this low income garbage comes from when talking about the Tampa Bay area.  My wife works for one of the largest banks in the country and the Tampa Bay area ranks very high for overall wealth and amount on deposit.  It actually ranks #1 in the southeast market.  They have more wealth strategists working with clients in the Bay Area than any other market in the southeast.

2ndly, maybe its because I live in the New Tampa area, but there are a lot of pretty wealthy and upper middle class all over the place.  South Tampa is very wealthy.

Plus we lead the nation in job growth.  The company I work for moved here  2 years ago and the average salary in the building is $72K and with bonuses it well exceeds $100K average per emplyee.

Are there poor people here?  Yes, but there are also a lot of very wealthy people here with a lot of disposable income.  Why do you think there are so many new retailers popping up everywhere?  And look at the malls in the area. They are always packed.  You can go to the Citrus Park Mall at noon on a Wednesday in May and its packed.

The average income #'s  are scewed in the area due to the retiree crowd that is living on small pensions and social security.

i going to move back to tampa

Surely you're still not trying to convince anybody that the NFL was just as popular then as it is now?

nfl was very popular in 1976

i made some decent $$$$$$$$$$$ selling orange cloth hankerchefs back in the day

Mine broke... Can I get a refund?

nfl was very popular in 1976

Not as popular as it is today... based on Florida expansion teams early year attendance figures.