• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is the USF beat writer . . .

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

But if you see his pattern, he has really been posting a lot of FSU stuff. I dont think that is Random. But the article did suck. 

Maybe, like some of us, grew up a Noles fan .... or he just likes the local angle with CWT. He does post other stuff about local players. Good thing, though, is that didn't see hardly anything on the UF scrimmage. Gotta give him props for that .... right? :rolleyes:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

I was at my kid's soccer game, followed by the Lightning. I'll take the blame on this one, guys. My bad.

As long as you understand it will be your fault alone that USF doesn't get into the Big 12. For shame.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

18 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

As long as you understand it will be your fault alone that USF doesn't get into the Big 12. For shame.

It's a fact, Memphis is already getting in ahead of us. What I do, can't change that.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

They don’t do enough in my opinion. If we are counting butts in seats I don’t think we are all that good...especially with students. It’s marketing’s job to be innovative and get people excited. They have to do more due to fan apathy and competition.  We really don’t have the people at USF to take it to the next level where it needs to be. 

Don't know how many people you actually know in our Marketing Dept/Athletic Dept.  The ones that I know always are looking for new ways to get the word out.  Like the Bible, people have to be receptive to it.  You can't jam it down people's throats.  I watch a lot of commercials for Mercedes cars.  Don't think I'll ever buy one.  Is that because their commercial's suck?  Probably not.  Just not interested.  Same thing with USF athletics.  You can put the word out there but you can't drag them into seats.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Don't know how many people you actually know in our Marketing Dept/Athletic Dept.  The ones that I know always are looking for new ways to get the word out.  Like the Bible, people have to be receptive to it.  You can't jam it down people's throats.  I watch a lot of commercials for Mercedes cars.  Don't think I'll ever buy one.  Is that because their commercial's suck?  Probably not.  Just not interested.  Same thing with USF athletics.  You can put the word out there but you can't drag them into seats.  

When I speak of marketing I speak of the entire marketing mix, including pricing. Not saying give away the tickets but perhaps have more promotions for special interest groups like teachers, city workers, law enforcement, etc. the push is generally towards vets and that’s it. Last year we did so first responders but only after the storm. Tie in the hockey team, can we do some type of special deal for Lightening season ticket holders? I agree, you are not going to get people who are never interested but FL is a football state and I believe plenty just need a nudge. 

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,090
  • Days Won:  56

5 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He has probably been assigned to start covering FSU stuff. Reporters have bosses who tell them what 2 cover. 

No. He's retweeting FSU coverage by a writer from his own paper - Baker. His editor is not telling him to double what's already being done by a writer at his own publication.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

8 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He has probably been assigned to start covering FSU stuff. Reporters have bosses who tell them what 2 cover. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

No. He's retweeting FSU coverage by a writer from his own paper - Baker. His editor is not telling him to double what's already being done by a writer at his own publication.

And Baker retweets stuff from his fellow tbt writers, they all do. This is much ado about nothing ....

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

11 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Exactly.  Can’t always make people instantly care about something...you can pique their interest, or begin to create a culture so they eventually care.  I think Athletics is doing a good job of that.  And I don’t see why an OCS wouldn’t help...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

On 4/15/2018 at 10:26 PM, DELdaBull said:

How do they know the attendance? There was not a ticket or a gate keeper with a counter. 

I didn’t see this answered in the thread...anyone know how they tracked an exact number without tickets or turnstiles?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

9 minutes ago, NCBull said:

I didn’t see this answered in the thread...anyone know how they tracked an exact number without tickets or turnstiles?

Turnstiles don't often keep attendance at non-revenue sports (or even minor league). They just guesstimate.

im guessing USF did that here

- a guesstimator for a major D-1 school.