• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Friday night starter.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

45 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I hate to jump into this as it seems to be between just the two of you.  But, that what the 'pen is for.  

If you move PS to Friday night and he pitches well, you may still lose that game because we aren't hitting opposing Friday night pitchers very well.  Then if SM gets lit up on Saturday then we may not be winning the series as we have been even though we seem to be scoring more runs on Saturday than Friday.

So I'm fine leaving the rotation as is.  

Meh, open forum.  Agreed, PS gets beat on Fri by the opposing team's #1 and now you need a shutdown game from SM.  Not really improving your position.  it's about winning series, sweeps are nice but 2 out of 3 accomplishes the goal. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I don't care if its one inning or six right now in conference play, hes allowing 4.5 runs per game. He gave up 6 in two of the games and 5 in the other, and I just looking at ER, not Runs in total, some experts would say that pitchers need to feel responsible for all runs because its their job to get out of the inning. But in any case he has had at least one bad inning in each of those games. and that's 3 of the last four. 

We may lose every game that our team isn't hitting well, i would rather have the pitcher on the mound that is better at keeping runs off the board in those games. 

Not ignoring it, just pointing out that the last four weeks have been against better teams the then previous four. i'm glad he did great against Columbia, Central Michigan, and Fordham but that doesn't do much for us. Even UNC came in the first game so you could make the argument that they were still knocking rust off  and that's his lone Quality start against a quality opponent. it's not ok that he pitched well except for one inning, that inning still counts, those runs dont count any less because it was his one bad inning for the game. 

We will need them both to be good, i'm just tired of needing to win every Saturday. Losing on Friday and taxing our pen to nine plus outs just gets old and isn't sustainable. 

Of course you don't care, it does fit your objective like just looking at the ER line in a vacuum does.  And you are ignoring it, you started your post with "I don't care ...."  Just like you are ignoring we are in 1st place in the conference and have won 3 out of 4 series.   Bullpen hasn't been taxed, that's a mischaracterization on your account.  Again to try and prove your objective of getting PS to be the Friday night starter. 

Doesn't matter to me who starts which night.  It's working now as it is, may or may not work if they were switched.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

This is right up there with the FB discussion of "we run the ball too much" vs. "we are winning games." Both answers are probably right but the coach knows the heartbeat of the team better than we do.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

47 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Of course you don't care, it does fit your objective like just looking at the ER line in a vacuum does.  And you are ignoring it, you started your post with "I don't care ...." 

You are mixing up my arguments. What  I don't care about is that all of his ER came in one or two bad innings. The real issue is that 17 of them  have been spread out over three of his four conference starts. They all count the same whether they all came in a bad inning or not.

What you claim I am ignoring is the gaudy numbers he put up against lesser talent. You are only looking at his Strikeout numbers in a vacuum. Breaking down his strikeout numbers would show that he has only has 28 K's in conference compared to PS 24. So our big time strikeout guy that can only go 6 because of his strikeout ability only has one more strikeout out per game in conference than our supposed #2. I am looking at what has happened against the better teams and whether or not the model of winning we have been using is sustainable.

In conference play we have two starters

Starter A. has 29.1 Innings pitched,a 1.54 ERA, and 1.03 WHIP

Starter B. has 19.2 Innings pitched, a 8.43 ERA, and 1.77 WHIP, 

that's not a vacuum, that's four games worth of data that shows pitcher A is better at keeping batters off base, and more importantly, the ones that get on are more likely to stay there. 

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

"we run the ball too much" vs. "we are winning games."

kinda except that there is a sustainable model of winning to running the ball. I have never seen a successful baseball team who's ace is limited to less than 7 innings. But the beauty of this sport is that both ways have just as much chance of failing as the other depending on how all nine guys play on that given night. I would just want to put my best pitcher out there for game one and I wont buy into SM being the best pitcher for us so far just because of his strikeout ability, there's just so much more to being a pitcher. 

If they are both lights out then it doesn't matter. I just think at some point we are going to get bitten by not be able to win game 1 and maybe a shake up on the bump would do the trick. It might not work, but you can't be scared to make adjustments in this sport. 

It is in a vacuum when you ignore the fact that 10 of those "earned runs" were statistically in 1 inning.  He allowed 2 ERs in the other 15.2 innings.  I give you he pitched poorly on Friday night, but he hadn't pitched poorly overall prior to that.  I haven't claimed you are ignoring "gawdy numbers", you're ignoring every positive the guy has.

The only way switching the nights these guys starts helps our team at all is if there is a significant mental advantage to SM starting Saturday instead of Friday and you haven't alluded to that at all.

Edited by chapelbull

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

It is in a vacuum when you ignore the fact that 10 of those "earned runs" were statistically in 1 inning.

Please tell me the difference in the score if a guy gives up six runs in one inning or six runs in six? You can't just say hes a great pitcher except for that one inning. 

Also, he gave up

6 in the second inning against Uconn

Against Houston he gave up 4 in the seventh

against ECU he gave up 4 in the second and 2 in the third. 

So which single inning account for ten of his ER'? To me they look pretty spread out 

11 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

you're ignoring every positive the guy has.

like what? the strike out numbers? He has only eclipsed the 10 k mark once in conference play. He only has 11 strikeouts to 10 walks in his last two games. He is just trending down at the moment. 

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Agreed, PS gets beat on Fri by the opposing team's #1

How is this a foregone conclusion? what if he doesn't give up six runs in the first three innings, you think maybe that game plays out differently?

The difference is in evaluating his overall performance. Having a couple of bad innings isn't stinking up the place and he has got the job done in 2 of 4 conference starts.  What's the difference if PS wins on Sat or Fri if the team is sitting a top the division?  There seems to be selectivity on what is important and what isn't. 

16 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

How is this a foregone conclusion? what if he doesn't give up six runs in the first three innings, you think maybe that game plays out differently?

Who said it was a foregone conclusion?  Again selectivity.  He could lose 1-0 like the UH game.  How's that play out differently when we need the apparently god awful SM to shut down on Sat.

Edited by chapelbull

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Agreed, PS gets beat on Fri by the opposing team's #1

Sorry not selective, this statement seemed pretty cut and dry. 

9 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

god awful SM 

I never said that. i am simply implying  that he is the second best pitcher on this roster. 

6 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

He could lose 1-0 like the UH game.

in this situation, you are in the game till the end. i'll take that over being out of the game by the third all day.