• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Friday night starter.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

My biggest concern is the length. I know it doesn’t really matter who goes Friday or Saturday but PS’s ability to deep into games sets our bullpen up better for Saturday and Sunday.  And agains SM has allowed 4 or more ER’s in three of his last four starts. His struggles didn’t start this Friday  

7 out of 9 quality starts.  The Houston game he gave up 4 runs in the 7th with a big lead.  They tried to let him finish the inning.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, chapelbull said:

7 out of 9 quality starts.  The Houston game he gave up 4 runs in the 7th with a big lead.  They tried to let him finish the inning.

6 of 9. He doesn't get a pass for giving up three runs because he had a seven run lead(not a big lead in college baseball). That just means he let them back in the game. Something an ace doesn't do. On the note of quality starts Pete is also 6 of 9 but he has had 6 straight quality starts and has pitched well against the conference which SM has not. Look at the fact that SM hasn't given up 18 ER to AAC opponents vs 4 from SP. I'm not too wrapped up in SM strikeouts anymore. Those are cool and all but at some point an ace has to be able to get people out quick and SM hasn't really shown that he can do that. Big strikeout guys that can't go 7 aren't aces, they're closers. I'm not saying to put SM in the pen, but I am saying that if the idea is to send your best starter out on Friday then pete needs to go because he has been a better pitcher thus far and with a team filled with Jr's and Sr's, the time now, not whenever SM figures out how to go deep in games. 

13 hours ago, chapelbull said:

By the way, he also still has a 84 K/29 BB ratio.

a strikeout is just another out. 

Their stats are comparable and he's pitched 6 or more 7 out of 9 times.  Not sure what switching your Friday and Saturday starter is going to do, but I'l defer to Mohl who is in the clubhouse and the dugout.

33 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

or more

He's never went seven so the "or More" equates to four total outs. The reason you switch is the trend the stats are showing, which isn't comparable. In Strzelecki's last four starts, he has allowed 5 total ER and 5 Total BB. McClanahan has allowed 18 ERs and 16 BB's. That's over three times as much. Those last four starts are the four conference starts. Their are no more Central Michigans and Fordhams on the schedule.

You always to send your best on Friday. A good, long start on Friday not only sets up your bull pen for the remaining two games but hopefully your ace gets you a win. Basically, an ace that can go out their and do what Pete did this past Saturday, not only wins the game, but he also sets you up the win and possibly sweep the series. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

6.1, 6.2 is 6+.  SM is our ace.  He doesn't pitch as deep, but he also misses a lot more at bats (20 more k's in 7 less innings).  His control isn't as good so he walks a few more, but his stuff is better.  The team has won 3 out of 4 conference series and sits on top the standings .  Not sure it really matters which night each one starts unless starting on Saturday makes SM pitch better and PS can replicate his pitching on Friday night.

Edited by chapelbull

20 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Saturday makes SM pitch better and PS can replicate his pitching on Friday night.

that's the idea, I think its worth a shot. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

that's the idea. 

lol

21 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

6.1, 6.2

honest question, is there any other Ace of a tournament bound team who has not gone at least seven innings once this season?

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

honest question, is there any other Ace of a tournament bound team who has not gone at least seven innings once this season?

No idea and I don't really care.  All I know is we have won 3 out of 4 series, including on the road against the #7 team in the country, and sit on top the conference standings.  Who starts what night means jack to me.  SM is our best pitcher despite his shortcomings.  PS coming in and doing what he does on Saturday is huge for the team and then we piece together Sundays.  Flipping SM and PS in now way guarantees better results and I'll leave it to Mohl to decide if it is worth messing with midseason.

He's 2nd in the country in K's and 1st in K's/9 innings.  As I stated in another thread that's as much a factor in the length of his outings as his control.   And he's not 21 quite yet.