• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flutie Effect

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But scientifically is this bump due “entirely” from the season? Did it have “some” impact? Maybe, but what percentage if at all? What I am saying is that there are simply too many variables to say football was the sole reason. Further, other factors could’ve complemented the football factor. 

I didn't seen Bourbon even remotely imply it was solely based on the #2 ranking in 2007. But based on that article, who's research and findings I don't discount at all, we definitely enjoyed a bump for a year or two as he stated.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I didn't seen Bourbon even remotely imply it was solely based on the #2 ranking in 2007. But based on that article, who's research and findings I don't discount at all, we definitely enjoyed a bump for a year or two as he stated.

Well, he did say “after 2007” so if it is multiple years I feel confident that it is difficult to pin enrollment solely on football. Again, too many variables over many years. 

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Well, he did say “after 2007” so if it is multiple years I feel confident that it is difficult to pin enrollment solely on football. Again, too many variables over many years. 

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he meant 2008-2009 or so. Not 2018. Though your statement that our 1990s academic facilities improvement probably isn't going to impact the 2018 class much either. 

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

I think what Bourbon was saying was that for a year or two after our rise to #2 in 2007, we enjoyed a little boost to our applications (and therefore able to be a bit more picky in our acceptance raising our academic profile) as a result of our increase in media attention. 

That doesn't appear to be what what he was saying at all ....

6 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Not so. Enrollment applications increased dramatically IIRC and had continued for years.  

... and I'd have to agree with NEB on this until we see some evidence backing up the affect the 2007 season. I did read the article and our 2007 year pales mightily in comparison to the situations described there, Flutie's Hail Mary, Ewing years at G'town, the UMBC historical upset, so I'm not real sure the article supports 2007 being a big factor responsible for years of dramatically increased applications.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

That doesn't appear to be what what he was saying at all ....

... and I'd have to agree with NEB on this until we see some evidence backing up the affect the 2007 season. I did read the article and our 2007 year pales mightily in comparison to the situations described there, Flutie's Hail Mary, Ewing years at G'town, the UMBC historical upset, so I'm not real sure the article supports 2007 being a big factor responsible for years of dramatically increased applications.

I took after/years to mean short term, not indefinitely. Must have skipped past dramatically. **** Bourbon.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Not so. Enrollment applications increased dramatically IIRC and had continued for years.  

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

I took after/years to mean short term, not indefinitely. Must have skipped past dramatically. **** Bourbon.

I'm pretty sure there were articles written in the years following 2007 that the attention bumped the applications and that it lasted a number of years.  As JTrue surmised I am not saying that it it is still having an affect thus the "had continued", not "has continued'.  If I get some time I may try to find some of those articles but I would thing they would include quotes from Judy and top people at the university.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

On 3/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, NewEnglandBull said:
On 3/18/2018 at 9:13 AM, Bourbon Bull said:

USF was the beneficiary of that after 2007 football.

For about 30 minutes...

1821b242e01541c6f09ccab50a898a24.jpg

• Upvote 1