• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Somebody has to step up

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Happened to see this today about facilities: http://www.newschief.com/sports/20180311/zier-upgrading-football-facilities-must-for-usf

Charlie Strong thinks that UT is not leaving the Big 12 but that we need to upgrade facilities to be considered:

“Somebody has to step up,” Strong said. “The money’s there, and I understand how important the medical school is, but we need to get this done. The future of our program depends on it.”

The thing that surprised me is out donations. We're at 2,942,660 while UCF has $6,918,969. I thought we would at least be equal. And then when you look at our revenue we're at the bottom level of the schools we're competing with for a P5 spot: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Sure hope Harlan gets what he's asking for.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I'm curious to see how this all washes out. With the merging of campuses, USF Tampa and pre-eminence, St. Pete and losing accreditation,  etc. For sure it will not be status quo... maybe...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

How do you take CCS's comment about sure we need a medical facility?  Is he equating football with our medical school?  Is he saying we need to make a choice between the two?  What does he mean by the money is there?  If the Board of Trustees has to chose between a med school and football I'm pretty sure that med school wins.  And where is this money?  If we had the money the shovels would be in the ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

I didn't take it as a "we don't need a medical school" or a this or that statement. I think he is starting to see the fundraising issues when it comes to USF Athletics first hand and when you look at our alumni pool as well as some of our bigger donors the money is definitely there we just need to tap into it, Les and Pam Muma can only foot so much of the bill. Tapping into that fundraising and getting it earmarked for athletics has always been the million dollar issue at USF and while it seems to be on an upward trajectory it's still not what it should be. A lot of that IMO goes back to when the university was started and the reluctance to add athletics at its inception and football until the 90s; there just isn't that bond with a lot of the older alumni and the athletic department. This issue also obviously lends itself a hand in attendance as well.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Interesting comment by CCS. My take is that he is not saying it is an either/or issue (he is not a dumb man). But he is saying football facilities need to be all in “like” the medical school. Of course how that is done is the issue. More importantly, because CCS IS THE ONE SPEAKING OUT on facilities it makes me wonder if he is dissatisfied with Sr. Level admin (Harlan) not hustling more for $....just my two cents...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Interesting comment by CCS. My take is that he is not saying it is an either/or issue (he is not a dumb man). But he is saying football facilities need to be all in “like” the medical school. Of course how that is done is the issue. More importantly, because CCS IS THE ONE SPEAKING OUT on facilities it makes me wonder if he is dissatisfied with Sr. Level admin (Harlan) not hustling more for $....just my two cents...

Either that or he is the figure head and the "personality" of the football program so he is the one making the "pitch" so to speak.  I definitely think he is pointing the finger at the lack of support for the program from the big donors and possibly the Development folks at USF

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Either that or he is the figure head and the "personality" of the football program so he is the one making the "pitch" so to speak.  I definitely think he is pointing the finger at the lack of support for the program from the big donors and possibly the Development folks at USF

Totally agree with you. Usually a HC will not get into the weeds like this when it is about financial support or fundraising (unless they are speaking at a “rah rah” event). This is usually the responsibility of others in the dept. to shake the tree. I wonder what Markus Harlan thinks about CCS statement? Or Judy for that matter. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

No problem with what CCS said. Football brings in a lot of revenue. Revenue that can help pay 4 a lot of other stuff including help upgrade the medical school. 

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6