• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Official Spring Practice Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, WWMJD said:

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. These two position swaps are probably the easier to make out of any potential move. Plus both these guys actually seem pretty well suited to their new position. We've had guys before move to the other side of the ball and really excel.

Exactly. I forgot that receiver we had that switched and did well. Gonzalez play O=line in highschool as well and his highlights on that side of the ball were just as awesome as his defensive highlights. Plus him being the strongest, if not top 3 strongest on the team serves the O-line better. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

If Barr were moving to qb and Gonzalez moving to rb I’d be more concerned. They’re moving to similar positions on the opposite side of the ball. If they’re natural fits then hopefully they can learn the techniques needed to gain some playing time. There will be a lot of flux from now until the first few games are under our belts. Let’s enjoy the battles and see who’s wheat and who’s chaff 

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

We will see if the move takes.  Sometimes these position changes workout but usually they're just precursors to a transfer/leaving the team.   Just like Barr, if Gonzalez is getting significant PT this season it means either we are in big trouble at his new position or they had some kind of epiphany.  There are a lot of bodies on the interior line and CB that were recruited and have had time at those positions so i doubt Barr or Gonzalez are anything more than depth this season, if they stick around after the spring...... 

Didnt we move a  player from DB to receiver a few years ago and it worked out great? 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Didnt we move a  player from DB to receiver a few years ago and it worked out great? 

Chris D. slid over and was alright.  

Edited by Roaming Bull

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

51 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Dunkley moved over a few years ago he was decent, but again that was out of necessity because we were very, very, thin (not to mention not talented) at CB.  We are pretty stacked up at CB at the moment between Wilkins, Hampton, Roberts, Hoggins, Sanders, Culpepper etc not to mention the young kids coming in.  When Dunk moved he was basically competing to start right away because of how thin and inexperienced we were at CB. 

Between Wiggs, Larkin, Harris, Atterbury, Marcellus, and the young guys (Cecil Santerling etc) we're pretty deep inside honestly.  If Gonzalez had the skill set to play tackle that's honestly where we need the help upfront.  

Edit: This is not a shot at either one of these kids btw.  Nothing would make me happier than to see both of them kick ass and be big time contributors.  All I'm saying is thanks to CCS and CWT's eye for talent we have a very talented roster and upperclassmen are going to have a hard time switching positions and getting on the field.   Also, not every kid likes to be moved around and they will give it a shot in the spring but if they don't look like they will see the field in the fall they will often look at moving on to play their desired position or to a place where they can get on the field.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

13 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Dunkley moved over a few years ago he was decent, but again that was out of necessity because we were very, very, thin (not to mention not talented) at CB.  We are pretty stacked up at CB at the moment between Wilkins, Hampton, Roberts, Hoggins, Sanders, Culpepper etc not to mention the young kids coming in.  When Dunk moved he was basically competing to start right away because of how thin and inexperienced we were at CB. 

Between Wiggs, Larkin, Harris, Atterbury, Marcellus, and the young guys (Cecil Santerling etc) we're pretty deep inside honestly.  If Gonzalez had the skill set to play tackle that's honestly where we need the help upfront.  

Edit: This is not a shot at either one of these kids btw.  Nothing would make me happier than to see both of them kick ass and be big time contributors.  All I'm saying is thanks to CCS and CWT's eye for talent we have a very talented roster and upperclassmen are going to have a hard time switching positions and getting on the field.   Also, not every kid likes to be moved around and they will give it a shot in the spring but if they don't look like they will see the field in the fall they will often look at moving on to play their desired position or to a place where they can get on the field.  

I agree, but for O-Line, i think having more bodies will be great, plus his strength should definitely help him see the field more than at DT where we just simply have more skilled DTs. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Best ever switch, IMO, was George Selvie...

• Like 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Best ever switch, IMO, was George Selvie...

Hmm...I thought it was Caitlin Jenner...

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Haha 4

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

20 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Not really.  Both positions are deep with guys who were brought in and have been recruited and developed to play those positions.  Both of these guys are behind the curve not just in development but also will have to fight for every single rep they can get because of how deep the positions are not to mention starting from scratch picking up their respective systems.   These switches usually take better when they're done when guys are young and have some time to get acclimated and when guys are getting reps due to necessity because it keeps them engaged.  We will see what happens but I wouldn't be waiting for either of these kids to world beaters.  

Our starting left tackle last season was a converted defensive lineman. If that isn't persuasive evidence that this can work, I don't know what is.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

19 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Dunkley also had more raw talent/athleticism than CB or WR we have on this roster.

• Like 1