• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers Shows Talent In Front Of NFL Scouts, Wants A Chance At QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

13 minutes ago, JTrue said:

The major difference being, Landry was a WR with a 1000 yard season for LSU under his belt to go with his combine performance. So he didn't have the prototypical physical tools, but he had concrete proof of being able to play the position. If player A and player B both have the same measurables, the one who's actually played the position is going to win out every time. And there are a lot of guys in the draft that are bigger and faster than QF, not to mention, have a caught a ball before in a game.

You also left out the strengths in the break down. The parts where actually playing the position make up for physical shortcomings, which is my point. Since no one can possible know what kind of a WR QF will be based on never having played the position, his 40 time is more important than other WRs.

STRENGTHS - Good balance and body control. Savvy route runner -- uses stems and nods and works back to throws. Confident hands-catcher -- snatches throws off his frame. Extends and high points. Attacks throws and wins "50-50" balls. Makes some spectacular, acrobatic grabs.

BOTTOM LINE - Polished, quarterback-friendly, sure-handed possession receiver with a flare for the highlight-reel catch. Could be an effective No. 3 option, capable of lining up as a "Z" or slot, working short-to-intermediate and beating zone coverage.

Not particularly.  Q's draft prospects are the same as they were going into the combine.  A guy who's great on film with the ball in his hands that is going to either be a 7th round pick or UDFA.  People are acting like the guy won't get a shot even though he ran a touch slower than most projected (mid to high 4.5's was where I thought he would run).  NOTHING has changed for Q but people are doing like they do every year and freaking about about 40yd dashes like they're more important than film.  Again, I'm not saying hes going to be Jarvis Landry but the two are VERY similar in build, speed etc.   People are acting like Q ran a 4.8. He'll be ok.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

With all the crazy moves going in the NFL I hope someone is making space for Flowers. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

On 3/12/2018 at 2:34 PM, Bull Dozer said:

Landry is 5' 11" 200ish Flowers measured in at 5' 10 214...  As for route running etc he has some physical attributes that project that he should be good at it but nobody has had a close look at him for it.  Flowers film with the ball in his hands (spandex olympics are VERY overrated) is what will give him his shot, and it always has been. Flowers was always going to be a 7th rounder or UDFA unless he lit the combine on fire with freak of nature times due to the position change.  I think he's still that but people are acting like the kid's career is over before it even started.    If there's one thing i think all USF fans should have learned by now  it's to never count Q out.  

Here's Jarvis Landry's post combine break down on NFL.com.  It's basically everything you said above....

"Weaknesses- Has a fairly lean frame -- could stand to bulk up and get stronger in order to combat the jam. Lacks elite explosiveness and top-end speed -- does not have an extra gear to take the top off. Average line release, acceleration and suddenness. Could struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch cornerbacks. Large percentage of catches are contested. Lacks ideal height and is not a great leaper. Started just 12 career games."

I am not even following how combine.  He ran a 40?

From what I hear he wants to be a QB at the next level and that is what my comments are based on.  He does not have what they are looking for in that position because his skills will be neutralized at the next level. Could he be a good wide receiver? I guess so but is he even catching balls out there? Running routes? 

There's no film of him doing any of those things so now is the time.

I'm not counting him out as I'm as big a fan as anybody. Go back and look at my history here and there's no bigger cheerleader regarding his play or his character even in the year the offense struggled and people wanted Bench or Woulard.  

I'm a fan of the team and rarely single out players because I know they're human beings and I don't go in for hero worship. My wife always ask me whose name I want on a back of a jersey she's getting me as a gift and I always tell her nobody.  Next time I might actually say Flowers because I have that much respect for him.

Here is with my kids and I I'm not even sure I have had them take a picture with any other bull.  This is the only picture we wanted.

IMG_20160416_192559.thumb.jpg.57177241a6000fefe7708bf488a79e21.jpg

He was elusive against FSU and South Carolina but last year he lost a step in my opinion because he didn't have as many Dynamic plays, either they started to figure him out or something else was going on.  That's not a character flaw it's just something that I observed. Maybe the statistics don't back me up I don't know. 

Either way with his build he would take some serious hits at the next level and I don't see him or any QB with his build taking the kind of pounding he would be subjected to for very long.

Edited by MMW

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

20 hours ago, MMW said:

He was elusive against FSU and South Carolina but last year he lost a step in my opinion because he didn't have as many Dynamic plays, either they started to figure him out or something else was going on.  That's not a character flaw it's just something that I observed. Maybe the statistics don't back me up I don't know.

I chalk it up to the different offense that Sterling Griffin ran, as opposed to Taggart's Gulf Coast Offense. I don't think Q lost a step at all, if anything, he's become quicker and stronger. He'll have a shot a turning heads in the NFL, and I wish Q all the best.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

On 3/17/2018 at 6:35 PM, MMW said:

9 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I chalk it up to the different offense that Sterling Griffin ran, as opposed to Taggart's Gulf Coast Offense. I don't think Q lost a step at all, if anything, he's become quicker and stronger. He'll have a shot a turning heads in the NFL, and I wish Q all the best.

Can possibly chalk up the missing Dynamic plays to not having a NFL rb sitting in the backfield with him for opposing teams to have to worry about ...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

Can possibly chalk up the missing Dynamic plays to not having a NFL rb sitting in the backfield with him for opposing teams to have to worry about ...

I also think there was a real focus of keeping Q healthy. He had a lot of those dynamic plays in 2016 early in games, or, even at times where we were pulling away from teams. Last year, we really only used him sparingly as a runner unless the game was on the line. When he did run, he was definitely cognizant of taking hits.

As for his build not working at the next level... Russell Wilson is almost the same exact build and he's been pretty durable. Not exactly the same type of player, but, Q would have to be more like this year but better passing to make it at the next level. He can't be the running threat that he was in 2015/2016. He'd have to pick spots and take off only when things break down, limiting himself to 10 or so runs per game.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

That dude should be giving Q a percentage of his salary...he saved his ass from getting fired. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That dude should be giving Q a percentage of his salary...he saved his ass from getting fired. 

He and Q have a great relationship and a great respect for one another. I'm sure if Q every needs anything in life that Willie would try and help him. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455

25 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

He and Q have a great relationship and a great respect for one another. I'm sure if Q every needs anything in life that Willie would try and help him. 

That holds true for a lot of the guys that play for him.