• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers Shows Talent In Front Of NFL Scouts, Wants A Chance At QB

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Quinton Flowers Shows Talent In Front Of NFL Scouts, Wants A Chance At QB

Former USF quarterback Quinton Flowers showcased his speed and strength in front of numerous NFL scouts on Saturday. Spectators are still questioning whether the Miami native will be drafted as a quarterback or running back.

Flowers was invited to the Combine as a quarterback, yet his skills suggest many scouts are considering him as a running back. He was the top performer in the 40-yard dash with a 4.63 sec run and three cone drill with a 6.81. Flowers was also a top-five performer in the broad jump.

Coming into the Combine, NFL analysts projected him to be a late-round pick or undrafted free agent signee. His 5’10” frame isn’t ideal for an NFL quarterback, but it’s the position Flowers still wants.

“I came to do quarterback,” Flowers told Tampa Bay Times’, Rick Stroud. “I’m doing quarterback this week. But at the end of the day, I’ll do whatever it takes for the team to win. That’s the type of guy I’ll always be. I just want to put a smile on the coaches’ face and have fun.”

The 2016 AAC Offensive Player of the Year...

Rest of story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Well, he certainly put a smile on the faces of the fans. I hope he can get in the door at the next level.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

if he can truly make all the throws necessary of an nfl qb i would give him a chance

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

21 minutes ago, smazza said:

if he can truly make all the throws necessary of an nfl qb i would give him a chance

Agreed

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

If I'm being honest, I don't see him making it as a QB in the NFL. Not unless by some miracle the erratic passes go away. My brain hurts just thinking of the type of packages they will have to run just to utilize his skill set. And a 4.63s 40 yard dash isnt going to beat many defenders (although I realize flowers is known for his incredible elusiveness, not straight line speed)

I just think NFL coaches have generally made a nonverbal statement that they are looking for pocket passers rather than an athlete to scheme around. Shoot, Gilbert didn't even bother to scheme around him

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

10 minutes ago, Vinsanity8404 said:

If I'm being honest, I don't see him making it as a QB in the NFL. Not unless by some miracle the erratic passes go away. My brain hurts just thinking of the type of packages they will have to run just to utilize his skill set. And a 4.63s 40 yard dash isnt going to beat many defenders (although I realize flowers is known for his incredible elusiveness, not straight line speed)

I just think NFL coaches have generally made a nonverbal statement that they are looking for pocket passers rather than an athlete to scheme around. Shoot, Gilbert didn't even bother to scheme around him

I agree with this and it's most everyone's take... If Q is going to make it at QB, I see him in Seattle, Carolina, Houston backing up Wilson/Cam/Watson. Those offenses are where he would fit, and, if there is an injury, he could get a chance to prove that he's a winner, regardless of stats/accuracy/size. I think Michael Vick kind of ruined the NFL for dual threats. In his time, there was no one like him, so, you couldn't have a viable backup and create an offense that best suited Vick. Plus, due to the style of play, there is a slightly higher risk of injury for these guys (Watson's was non-contact and not related to him running at all if I recall).

Now, there are a lot of these QBs. A guy like Q could backup any of those guys I mentioned and if the starter goes down, you're not left with a square peg in a round hole for your backup. You keep running the same offense, let your QB use their feet, etc. I don't care what anyone says, those guys I mentioned above are fan favorites. They're exciting, way more exciting than watching Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, etc... The hesitation has been from coaches set in their ways, and terrified that they will build an offense around a guy that could get hurt and can't be replaced. I'd like to see someone go all-in with Jackson and Q. Let them do their thing. I think Jackson probably has more tools, but, Q is more of a winner. Either way, build an offense for these guys, either one will make noise and win games.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

8 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I agree with this and it's most everyone's take... If Q is going to make it at QB, I see him in Seattle, Carolina, Houston backing up Wilson/Cam/Watson. Those offenses are where he would fit, and, if there is an injury, he could get a chance to prove that he's a winner, regardless of stats/accuracy/size. I think Michael Vick kind of ruined the NFL for dual threats. In his time, there was no one like him, so, you couldn't have a viable backup and create an offense that best suited Vick. Plus, due to the style of play, there is a slightly higher risk of injury for these guys (Watson's was non-contact and not related to him running at all if I recall).

Now, there are a lot of these QBs. A guy like Q could backup any of those guys I mentioned and if the starter goes down, you're not left with a square peg in a round hole for your backup. You keep running the same offense, let your QB use their feet, etc. I don't care what anyone says, those guys I mentioned above are fan favorites. They're exciting, way more exciting than watching Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, etc... The hesitation has been from coaches set in their ways, and terrified that they will build an offense around a guy that could get hurt and can't be replaced. I'd like to see someone go all-in with Jackson and Q. Let them do their thing. I think Jackson probably has more tools, but, Q is more of a winner. Either way, build an offense for these guys, either one will make noise and win games.

RG3 is the textbook example...

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think "Gilbert didn't even bother to scheme around him" carries any weight. A professional league OC would scheme around him. An overrated college OC did not.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  472
  • Days Won:  0

Love QF but Stevie Wonder can see he doesn't have the arm to be an NFL QB

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405