• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Battle or McCloud Challenge?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

It'll be interesting if either can make a serious push to get on the field this year. They weren't in the top 15 here but are mentioned as others to watch:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-15-impact-true-freshmen-quarterbacks-2018

Edited by ToroDeFuego

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Wouldn't mind seeing it happen as long as they earn it and its not injury related. But I doubt it will happen 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I don't think either will be able to challenge in the absence of an injury.  Kean and Oladokun both have QB talent and very talented arms.  They both have a year in the system and will be light years ahead of those guys by the time they get to campus.  I think the QB battle this spring will be tough... just looking at the spring game last season, I can see the eventual starter having a huge season.  While I was one of Q's biggest fans and defenders, he short hopped a lot of passes and he couldn't make all the throws.  I think both of these guys are likely a better fit for this offense.  I think the offense may be better and more balanced this year than last.  We bring back a ton of talent at the WR position... it could be argued that McCants and Salomon were the best two WRs at the end of last season.  Getting Bronson back... with Dukes, Roland, Antione, and those other guys, the passing game could see a huge jump.  Kean and Oladokun both are strong arm guys with a lot of confidence.  I'd be shocked if Battles or McCloud beat either out for the top two spots.  

I also think Conkrite will take a lot of pressure off the starter.  He's the best back we have... was last season too, but had to sit.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

28 minutes ago, Calibull said:

They both have a year in the system and will be light years ahead of those guys by the time they get to campus.

This will be the biggest reason battle and mccloud won't challenge starting the season ..... but both the current qb's are basically unknown commodities when it comes to starting and who knows what happens as the season progresses.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Don’t know if any frosh qb could master a hb dive driven system. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This will be the biggest reason battle and mccloud won't challenge starting the season ..... but both the current qb's are basically unknown commodities when it comes to starting and who knows what happens as the season progresses.

Every new QB is an unknown commodity but I do recall both playing very well in the spring game last season.  Small body of work but they actually looked good in the spring game.  I feel like they'll both be ahead of where Flowers was coming into the spring game... I think that whoever wins the job will have a great year.  I'm not so worried about the QB position, I think the passing game will improve.  They both have more arm talent than Flowers and I don't think they'll hang on to the ball as long.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

2 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Every new QB is an unknown commodity but I do recall both playing very well in the spring game last season.  Small body of work but they actually looked good in the spring game.  I feel like they'll both be ahead of where Flowers was coming into the spring game... I think that whoever wins the job will have a great year.  I'm not so worried about the QB position, I think the passing game will improve.  They both have more arm talent than Flowers and I don't think they'll hang on to the ball as long.  

I honestly hope we don't hear the names Battle or McCloud at all once the season starts ... in a logical way .... that would bode well.

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I honestly hope we don't hear the names Battle or McCloud at all once the season starts ... in a logical way .... that would bode well.

I could not agree more my friend.  If we start hearing those names, the wheels are falling off the wagon.  I'm reminded of how Mike White came to start.  Though I think Kean and Chris are better than anything we had that season. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Neither. Starting QB is either Kean or O. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

13 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Neither. Starting QB is either Kean or O. 

This...probably. But I'm hoping to see some flashes from these other two guys. I loved seeing Oladokun calling in plays, maybe one of the new guys can take that role--should help with their grasp of the offense (the offense beyond the dive...)