• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Spring Football arrives in two weeks; what's at stake

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

11 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

My list is much bigger.

Spill it. :)

As we approach Spring, getting some ideas and thoughts, questions and even suggestions out there is great for debate here and also helps the local media and folks at GoUSFBulls.com know people are interested and what they are interested in reading about come Spring Ball. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, Apis Bull said:

Presumably, both Kean and Oladokun are better passers than Q.

Yeah, I just don't really buy that sentiment at all.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:
On 2/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, Apis Bull said:

Presumably, both Kean and Oladokun are better passers than Q.

Yeah, I just don't really buy that sentiment at all.

Not til I see it happen in a real game, at real game speed, and then with pressure. I don't know that we've ever had a better passer under pressure than Q.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

8 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Not til I see it happen in a real game, at real game speed, and then with pressure. I don't know that we've ever had a better passer under pressure than Q.

Blackwell sure did well... I also tend to agree, they both are better passers than Q.  I love Q, but he's not a great passer.  Never was.  He can't make every throw and he had a tendency to hold the ball too long because he waited for guys to come open... his short an intermediate passing games were lacking.  I mean put in Tulsa.  It's not a kick against Flowers, he did what he did well... but these other guys are passers.  Both likely a better fit for what this offense wants to do.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

5 hours ago, Calibull said:

Blackwell sure did well... I also tend to agree, they both are better passers than Q.  I love Q, but he's not a great passer.  Never was.  He can't make every throw and he had a tendency to hold the ball too long because he waited for guys to come open... his short an intermediate passing games were lacking.  I mean put in Tulsa.  It's not a kick against Flowers, he did what he did well... but these other guys are passers.  Both likely a better fit for what this offense wants to do.

I love QF as well, but I think the passing game will skyrocket with the arms of either Kean or O. Plus they both aren't slow quarterbacks. I think what we give up in scrambling, we greatly pick up in passing next year. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I love QF as well, but I think the passing game will skyrocket with the arms of either Kean or O. Plus they both aren't slow quarterbacks. I think what we give up in scrambling, we greatly pick up in passing next year. 

I tend to side with you.  Oladokun is actually faster than Flowers.  He was the fasted QB last season, but I'm not sure if that will be the case this year with McCloud and Battles.  But I think the passing game will 'skyrocket,' too.   I also think we'll have a more consistent and explosive running game with Cronkite back there.  He brings an explosiveness that neither Tice or Johnson had.  He also runs with serious attitude. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't have time, but, I'd love to see an analysis of Flowers' passing stats over the last 2 years when we were trailing, or, up by 1 score in the 4th. My gut tells me that the numbers would be NFL HOF worthy. I always thought that QF was at his best when the entire thing was on his shoulders. With a big lead or defense playing lights out, he struggled, but, the minute he HAD to make something happen, he was unbelievably good.

Quickly, he was 7-10, 125 yards, and a TD in the 4th against UCF.

6-10, 139 yards, 2 TDs (+1 on the ground) vs TTU in the 4th

Personally, I find it a bit disrespectful to say how much better <insert stat or whatnot here> is going to be now that a guy who has never thrown a meaningful pass at this level is going to be taking over (or at least a meaningful pass that wasn't picked off and returned for a TD). To each their own, but, Flowers' deserves more respect than that IMHO. Once we actually see it, by all means, it can be analyzed, but, it's all speculation right now.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I don't have time, but, I'd love to see an analysis of Flowers' passing stats over the last 2 years when we were trailing, or, up by 1 score in the 4th. My gut tells me that the numbers would be NFL HOF worthy. I always thought that QF was at his best when the entire thing was on his shoulders. With a big lead or defense playing lights out, he struggled, but, the minute he HAD to make something happen, he was unbelievably good.

Quickly, he was 7-10, 125 yards, and a TD in the 4th against UCF.

6-10, 139 yards, 2 TDs (+1 on the ground) vs TTU in the 4th

Personally, I find it a bit disrespectful to say how much better <insert stat or whatnot here> is going to be now that a guy who has never thrown a meaningful pass at this level is going to be taking over (or at least a meaningful pass that wasn't picked off and returned for a TD). To each their own, but, Flowers' deserves more respect than that IMHO. Once we actually see it, by all means, it can be analyzed, but, it's all speculation right now.

I would have to tend to agree .... but come on, we're coming off, I believe, the best offensive showing in history but the passing game will now skyrocket and the running game will be more explosive. The thought of averaging 600 yds in offense doesn't get you pumped??

Edited by Triple B

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

I don't think anyone (certainly not me) was disrespecting Q.  The fact of the matter is he was a 57.7% career passer.  To say that Kean or Oladokun could (should) be better passers is not an indictment or what Q has done for this program.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I would have to tend to agree .... but come on, we're coming off, I believe, the best offensive showing in history but the passing game will now skyrocket and the running game will be more explosive. The thought of averaging 600 yds in offense doesn't get you pumped??

I think the running from the RB position has potential to be more explosive than it was last season as Cronkrite was supposed to be the best back on the team last season while he was sitting out.  The gap is supposed to be pretty big too.....  However, we are essentially losing a 3rd 1000yd rusher in Flowers so I think that may cancel out what we gain with Cronkrite as a whole.   I have a hard time believing the offense gets better overall when you lose a guy like Flowers who did so many explosive obvious things and a TON of little things that tend to go unnoticed  to make the offense as productive as it was.   Whoever takes over is going to be VERY green and I think there will be a painful learning curve just in not turning the ball over which will make us take a step back by itself (Q had around a 3-1 TD to INT ratio if I'm remembering correctly).   None of the guys competing have proven anything in a real game situation and in the spring game last season Flowers looked way more  efficient throwing the ball than either of them.  People need to slow down.......

• Upvote 1