• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Football arrives in two weeks; what's at stake

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

Help me fill this out:

It may not be final until Fall, but top things we are looking for:

Offense:

1. Quarterback battle to replace the Goat - Kean vs. Oladokun vs. Battle (?)
  2. Starting running back, replacing DJ and Tice - ??
  3. #1, go to WR - looking to confirm it is Tyree or someone else to emerge or co-lead?  Antoine/Salomon?
  4. What about the O-line?  Is that an area of concern? Bye Deadrin, see you Sunday.

Is this in the proper order?

Defense:

1. LB - lack of depth in 2017
  2. Secondary - Abraham, Nichols and Fullwood gone.  Maybe not as great a concern with Hoggins and Wilkins returning as seniors and some underclassmen coming up
  3. Line - always, but like returners
  4. Ends - seems like always lately

Special Teams:

1. Punter battle - no idea who replaces the booming leg of Hernandez
  2. Kicker - apparently a battle between Salani and Vivonetto
  3. Long snapper returns; keeps a healthy diet.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I can't imagine Battle is really in the running.

RB might be a mediocre RBBC.

Secondary is losing a lot, but is able to replenish. I'm not more worried about them than the front seven. For me the concerns are LB > Line > Ends > Secondary.

Special teams wise, we have nothing returning at ... returner. Johnson and Fullwood have been the bell cows. They're gone. I expect someone good to emerge, but concerning nonetheless.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

It will be interesting to see if Kean or Oladokun come out of the spring with any kind of lead on the other. 

Will all the hype about transfer RB Jordan Cronkrite be legit?

Where will Trevon Sands end up? Does he stay at RB only or will he play on the defensive side of the ball? 

Will Duke transfers Brandon Boyce and Marquies Price have an impact on the DL this year?

Will we have more than one TE see the field? 

Who will step up on the OL for Cameron Ruff and Jeremi Hall.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Special teams wise, we have nothing returning at ... returner. Johnson and Fullwood have been the bell cows. They're gone. I expect someone good to emerge, but concerning nonetheless.

We'll have a designated coach this year which certainly can't hurt.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

10 hours ago, Brad said:

Help me fill this out:

It may not be final until Fall, but top things we are looking for:

Offense:

1. Quarterback battle to replace the Goat - Kean vs. Oladokun vs. Battle (?)-I have a feeling this battle (no pun intended) will rage through fall camp.  unless Battle is a prodigy I expect it to be between Kean and Oladokun
  2. Starting running back, replacing DJ and Tice - ?? I've heard since Conkrite arrived on campus he's been the best RB on the team, including compared to last season's starters.  It will be interesting to see if Sands sticks at RB.  He looked to have some good burst in his limited playing time but needs to get ball security cleaned up.  The whole position group in a true unknown for the first time in a long time.  Should be fun to see who steps up.
  3. #1, go to WR - looking to confirm it is Tyree or someone else to emerge or co-lead?  Antoine/Salomon?  I think Tyree becomes the man this season (production wise)  with Salomon being the deep threat.   Look out for Dukes to make a move to get on the field as well.  Antoine and Phillips looked good in the slot from what I saw and are another year wiser and stronger.   Very optimistic about this unit even with losing MVS
  4. What about the O-line?  Is that an area of concern?  This is a huge concern with us losing our two best interior guys in Ruff and Hall.  Guys like that are what makes Gilbert's system work. We have a few guys who are looking to make a name for themselves and win a starting job so hopefully somebody steps up.   If we struggle to replace those two it's going to be a long year for the offense......

Is this in the proper order?

Defense:

1. LB - lack of depth in 2017- i'm hoping the staff has some kind of grad transfer line up because we need bodies at LB bad.  It will be interesting to see of McGee stays at LB full time or if he's just used in specialty packages.   Kierston Johnson is a guy I expect to make a big move this Spring/Fall i expect him to be starting by game 1.  Will the light bulb go off and things finally click for Bayes?  Is Sawtelle athletic enough to be a every down backer?   Will Polk step up now that he's had time to develop, he has great athleticism.  Lot's of Q's in this group.  
  2. Secondary - Abraham, Nichols and Fullwood gone.  Maybe not as great a concern with Hoggins and Wilkins returning as seniors and some underclassmen coming up- We lose a ton of leader ship in the secondary so it will be ineresting to see who steps up.  There's a ton of talent in guys like Culpepper, Watts, Hampton that will be in the thick of it to replace those guys.  I think we'll be fine in the secondary but could have some early season growing pains/communications issues while the unit gels.  
  3. Line - always, but like returners Bye Deadrin, see you Sunday.  Even with the Kelvins getting significant PT last season and looking good for freshmen it's still a HUGE ask for them to play at the level Senat and Hector played at for us.  Those two were probably the strength of our defense and at least one of them will be playing on Sunday.  Beyond that depth could be a bit of an issue but with one of the Duke transfers we have one guy who has played at this level so he should be ok.  I'm thinking we see one of our true freshmen break into this rotation this fall.  
  4. Ends - seems like always lately- While Love wasn't a dominant take over a game pass rusher he was solid against the run and rarely out of position.  Replacing him is doable and we have a decent amount of guys coming back that should be ready to step up.   Reaves was a huge surprise and my gut tells me he's better this year.  He's a guy that came out of no where and worked his way onto the field I don't see that changing.   Throw in one of the Duke Transfers and some young guys who are going to be vying for a spot in the rotation that are more athletic than what we lost and I think we should be ok here.   I think this unit will be as good as last season, which unfortunately means we still lack a dominant pass rusher.....

Special Teams:

1. Punter battle - no idea who replaces the booming leg of Hernandez-I have no idea what will go down here but we are replacing a good but not great punter.  
  2. Kicker - apparently a battle between Salani and Vivonetto-  We've been blessed to go from Kloss to Nadelman hopefully one of the two mentioned here steps up and we continue our run of solid kickers.   We settled for too many FG's last season and fortunately we had a good kicker to make most of those almost sure things.  If we take a step back at kicker  while presumably taking a step back on offense we will see a HUGE drop in points on the scoreboard.  Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.....
  3. Long snapper returns; keeps a healthy diet.-  Yes

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,340
  • Days Won:  5

Dozer great post. I think the Rb with the best ball security wins the job. Shawn King said at the USF  summer workout camp “ at USF we teach ball security “. He was coach of the rbs that day.

Dozer great post. I think the Rb with the best ball security wins the job. Shawn King said at the USF  summer workout camp “ at USF we teach ball security “. He was coach of the rbs that day.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

I heard Marlon Gonzales moved to the offensive line. Can anybody confirm that? My impact players for 2019. 

QB - Kean shall start

RB - Cronkite, Sands, Ford

DT - Kelvin Kegler/Pickney, Waller, Leacock and homie from Duke. 

DB - Jaymon Thomas goes super saiyen. 

WR - McCants, Solmon and suprise receiver Clerveaux (good hands) 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

Jchem uses both hands for security:

Typed one with his right, and t'other with his left! :D

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I can't imagine Battle is really in the running.

RB might be a mediocre RBBC.

Secondary is losing a lot, but is able to replenish. I'm not more worried about them than the front seven. For me the concerns are LB > Line > Ends > Secondary.

I have to disagree with the RB by committee approach. There is a huge difference between Cronkrite and the others on the roster. Let’s be honest, the backs last year didn’t set the world on fire. Tice found the holes half the time but didn’t have the explosiveness to be dangerous and DJ just would run into the back of an OL or Ed Oliver.

I expect a significant improvement in the RB position compared to last season.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

What's at stake is no more moral victories.... time for a conference championship

• Upvote 1