• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF-UCF Rivalry

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

When people tell me they went to Connecticut, I ask where in Connecticut?

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Brad said:

When people tell me they went to Connecticut, I ask where in Connecticut?

Nobody says Connecticut, they say UCONN. Bad example.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,725
  • Days Won:  0

Another example or two.... People in North Carolina refer to NC State (which is actually North Carolina State University) as simply "State." Everyone knows which school you mean. Also, people in NC use both "Carolina" and "UNC" interchangeably to refer to the University of North Carolina.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, James Gaddis said:

Also, people in NC use both "Carolina" and "UNC" interchangeably to refer to the University of North Carolina.

And people who went to South Carolina refer to it as "Carolina".  

image.jpeg.deabc4443a152b6c2bad0f979bf5d430.jpeg

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, James Gaddis said:

Another example or two.... People in North Carolina refer to NC State (which is actually North Carolina State University) as simply "State." Everyone knows which school you mean. Also, people in NC use both "Carolina" and "UNC" interchangeably to refer to the University of North Carolina.

Very true, even though there are something like 9 UNCs across the state now (UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Greensboro, etc.).  Those schools are known by their city name, or saying the whole thing, “UNC-Charlotte”.  Of course, UNC (Chapel Hill) is the oldest public university in the nation, so it’s a bit of a different measuring stick.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Very true, even though there are something like 9 UNCs across the state now (UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Greensboro, etc.).  Those schools are known by their city name, or saying the whole thing, “UNC-Charlotte”.  Of course, UNC (Chapel Hill) is the oldest public university in the nation, so it’s a bit of a different measuring stick.

Didn't Charlotte drop the, "UNC?"

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

3 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Didn't Charlotte drop the, "UNC?"

They can’t actually drop it, it’s the university’s name:  https://www.uncc.edu/  The state university system requires the “UNC” part.

Back on point, for sports you’re right...they are known as “Charlotte”.  That’s part of what I wrote too.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680

I think South Florida sounds better and is more memorable than "USF". This is marketing and a memorable name is important. An Acronym has zero meaning to someone who doesn't already know it's meaning, and it is easy to forget. This is due to how the human memory works, recall works by association. Numbers are not memorable to because they have no meaning, same with an random acronym of a random lesser known football team.

You can remember the word 'baker' by knowing that a man is a "baker" much more easily than you can remember that his name is "baker", because the name baker has no link while the baker profession a picture comes to mind. Casual football observers will have an easier time recalling "South Florida" and linking that to a football team in Florida than they will "USF". No image comes to mind with an acronym, one does with South Florida. 

USF gets mixed with UCF easily. Let UCF have the acronym, we take the words. Only 4 teams curreny on the top 25 is an acronym. 

As for compass directions, Northwestern and South Carolina are directional as well. Do they get less respect because they use a compass direction in their brand naming? I think not. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I like South Florida