• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Aside from a miscue against Houston, Gilbert has wisely kept the offense veiled all season. UCF has literally no tape on what they'll see Friday. We're going to catch them by surprise!

/s

Ironically, this has turned out to be the silver lining in our plain vanilla offense all season. We will be pulling out the entire playbook for UCF and they won't be able to prepare for it. I'm expecting triple options, deep passes, and trick plays. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, tau.reanb said:

Ironically, this has turned out to be the silver lining in our plain vanilla offense all season. We will be pulling out the entire playbook for UCF and they won't be able to prepare for it. I'm expecting triple options, deep passes, and trick plays. 

I love the optimism, though  I just dont see it happening.  The collective refusal to believe that what we've seen IS  the actual offense, even on the cusp of playing the LAST regular game of the season is absolutely puzzling to me.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

6 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I'm thoroughly on the "CCS and Gilbert are idiots" wagon - because they're inept at adapting to a dynamic QB that doesn't fit their style - but I do think there's a chance their style of play works better with another QB. I haven't given up hope on our future.

Next year with the probable drop off in talent his conservative nature will work a lot better. When you are an inferior team you play conservatively to minimize the other, better, teams chances.

This year though we are so talent heavy the conservative paradigm is keeping the other teams in the game.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

I'm hoping Gilbert and Strong finally let Flowers loose. I was watching a replay from last nights game and i noticed Flowers tends to hold up on taking off. Last year if he saw any open field he was gone. This year he hesitates. Hopefully They allow Flowers to take off against uff and opens up the entire offense but then again Charlie is one of the most conservative coach's in college football.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

Hope I'm wrong but this has that same stink on it that we had when Holtz used Leavitt players to beat Clemson and then told everyone how we were going to have a new attitude (or some such nonsense)-- little did we know he meant a losing one.

I think he has done pretty well on the defensive side of the ball with the talent on hand.  Our LB's and DL seems to be much improved and other than Senat I don't think they weren't super star guys.

1 hour ago, tau.reanb said:

We should play like we have nothing to lose.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, MMW said:

We should play like we have nothing to lose.

Because we don't. Only the most optimistic among us believes we WILL win this game against C. I don't expect us to, but I'm hopeful!

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

This 9-1 season isn't near as exciting as last year's team or the last 2/3 of the 2015 season

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Lot of selective memory on this board.  There was tons of ******** and moaning on this board after every freaking games last season.  Then it was the defense and special teams.  This year it's the offense and the special teams.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

11 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Lot of selective memory on this board.  There was tons of ******** and moaning on this board after every freaking games last season.  Then it was the defense and special teams.  This year it's the offense and the special teams.

Yeah, we expected an OC to come in and see "Gee. That's a great offense tailored to the kids playing it" and learn it. Instead of "Gee. I really like to run this one thing. Let's do it despite of the talent here at the moment."

That deserves frustration. These grown ass men are paid a lot to maximize their talent and the only reason we're 9-1 is because of a soft schedule and despite what the coaches are choosing to do on offense.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Yeah, we expected an OC to come in and see "Gee. That's a great offense tailored to the kids playing it" and learn it. Instead of "Gee. I really like to run this one thing. Let's do it despite of the talent here at the moment."

That deserves frustration. These grown ass men are paid a lot to maximize their talent and the only reason we're 9-1 is because of a soft schedule and despite what the coaches are choosing to do on offense.

The offensive numbers tell a different story though.  Just because it doesn't look as pretty, doesn't mean it's not effective.

2016 - 44 points per game, 285 rushing yards per game, 226 passing yards per game, 26.49 time of possession, 44% 3rd down efficiency.  

2017 - 38 points per game, 280 rushing yards per game, 217 passing yards per game, 31.03 time of possession, 43% 3rd down efficiency.

• Upvote 3