• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tony Dungy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, thatBULL said:

This pains me to say, but UCF seems to have a much better run athletic department.  Aside from the stadium fiasco, which is was not this admin.  They are fundraising, building facilities, etc.  This is their latest football specific fundraising.  

http://ucfknights.com/news/2017/10/17/football-excellence-fund-campaign.aspx

Maybe lately but UCF has had a joke of an Athletic Department for a long, long time. They killed an athlete. Were found guilty and negligent. They turned down joining CUSA because they wanted to join the SEC.

Have you ever read this article? https://www.thedailystampede.com/2013/11/27/5139312/x-good-reasons-to-hate-ucf

I worked at USF Athletics for 5.5 years ('02-'07), and can verify we laughed at UCF and the decisions they made forever. If UCF did it, it was most likely wrong and for sure short-sighted. Just look at the way each school handed the conference realignment shuffle in 2003: USF was flawless, subtle, and well-planned. UCF was so over-the-top and preposterous no one wanted to do business with them. It was a perfect example of better management winning out over a sideshow.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

We like our status quo.  We can do another feasibility and hype package.

That is the most frustrating part ... not a lot of action

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406

1 minute ago, usf97 said:

Maybe lately but UCF has had a joke of an Athletic Department for a long, long time. They killed an athlete. Were found guilty and negligent. They turned down joining CUSA because they wanted to join the SEC.

Have you ever read this article? https://www.thedailystampede.com/2013/11/27/5139312/x-good-reasons-to-hate-ucf

I was there too.  In the early 2000’s until the most recent administrations, I would agree.  We were stealth and calculated, while they needed to put on a big show to get noticed and in my opinion rushes their stadium, etc.  

However, we didn’t capitalize enough on our early success and relied on the nostalgia of the “good ol’ days” and “sleeping giant” of young program.  Our past admin gave bad contracts, did little to stabilize the programs, and burnt bridges with the community.  The current one doesn’t seem to understand the culture and is not nearly as agreesive or proactive as we need.  I’m sure I’m not 100% right, but TODAYS Admin of UCF is rubbing circles around USFs.  And in college athletics lately is all that matters, especially since we don’t have history to sell.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Dungy is a do gooder...his emphasis is on helping others as much as possible and there is nothing wrong with that. Of course those of us associated with the organizations that are impacted negatively by his helping others don't like it. But he was part of the effort to get Strong at USF and I believe he was on the video that USF sent to the Big 12 last year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,474
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Capital H said:

now he is publicly telling Nebraska to get bent over Scott Frost?

You must have more info than I could find on what he said ..... or I'm misinterpreting that comment.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,340

2 hours ago, thatBULL said:

I was there too.  In the early 2000’s until the most recent administrations, I would agree.  We were stealth and calculated, while they needed to put on a big show to get noticed and in my opinion rushes their stadium, etc.  

However, we didn’t capitalize enough on our early success and relied on the nostalgia of the “good ol’ days” and “sleeping giant” of young program.  Our past admin gave bad contracts, did little to stabilize the programs, and burnt bridges with the community.  The current one doesn’t seem to understand the culture and is not nearly as agreesive or proactive as we need.  I’m sure I’m not 100% right, but TODAYS Admin of UCF is rubbing circles around USFs.  And in college athletics lately is all that matters, especially since we don’t have history to sell.

This.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,474
  • Days Won:  422

2 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

However, we didn’t capitalize enough on our early success and relied on the nostalgia of the “good ol’ days” and “sleeping giant” of young program.  Our past admin gave bad contracts, did little to stabilize the programs, and burnt bridges with the community.

How could we have capitalized more on that early success and what burnt bridges are we talking about?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,514
  • Days Won:  28

6 hours ago, Capital H said:

Why does he want to **** USF so bad?

First he publicly endorsed Tagart for another gig, now he is publicly telling Nebraska to get bent over Scott Frost? Did we do something to him in the past I don't know about?

I am not sure what hell bent means, but if he is encouraging Nebraska to hire Frost.....isn't that working in our favor? lol

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I assume this is the reference:

Tony Dungy says Nebraska ‘missed its opportunity’ to hire Scott Frost

Tony Dungy thinks Nebraska missed its chance with Frost.
Cindy Ord/Getty Images
Stephen Pianovich
Posted 6 hours ago

Nebraska’s window to hire Scott Frost has already closed, says Tony Dungy.

The former NFL coach and current analyst said that Nebraska and other Power 5 teams “missed their opportunity” to hire Frost. Dungy tweeted this Tuesday night with a link to an Orlando Sentinel story about Central Florida making an effort to raise $1.5 million from donors to help keep Frost with the Golden Knights.

Nebraska missed its opportunity to hire Frost. Just as several Power 5 teams did. They are building something special at @UCF_Football https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/920404603694395392 

Frost, a quarterback with the Huskers from 1995-97, is in his second season as UCF’s coach and has his team ranked No. 20 in the nation. The 42-year-old was Oregon’s offensive coordinator before taking over at UCF.

His name is likely to be rumored for a few Power 5 jobs, including Nebraska, during the coming months.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I doubt that an extra $1.5 million from UCF will prevent Nebraska or any major football school from hiring him away. That is peanuts for them.