• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

What does Gilbert have in common with Woodie?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

16 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So was Lombardi's Green Bay Packer offense ...

a couple of notes on Green Bay's offense. maybe Gilbert should read up on his zone blocking schemes or his power sweep outside the tackles or him using the pass when the run wasn't effective

http://allgbp.com/2014/04/14/historical-perspective-vince-lombardis-offense-was-more-complex-than-you-think/

In fact, the 1966 season, which culminated with winning Super Bowl I, would not have been possible without the dynamic passing game.

During that season, the Packers averaged a mediocre 3.5 yards per carry. Even by today’s standards, that’s considered a pretty minimal number.

Clearly, the Super Bowl I run was largely catalyzed, and most certainly propelled, by the vertical passing game of Starr within Lombardi’s offensive category.

It’s incorrect to think they only ran to victory. They most certainly would not have beaten Dallas in the 1966 NFL Championship without Starr’s 304 yards and four touchdown passes.

Zone run blocking is the current rage in the NFL, and college for that matter, but it has been around in principle for quite some time.

While Lombardi was an assistant coach at West Point under the legendary Red Blaik, the two of them began to develop zone blocking for the running game. The idea was to give each lineman an area to block, rather than a specific man, to neutralize the growing trend of slanting defenses. While the zone scheme concept has evolved considerably since the 1950s, the basic premise remains the same.

In the picture below (from the book “Vince Lombardi on Football”), you can see Lombardi detail how he used the zone blocking scheme to win the 1961 NFL Championship against the New York Giants.

Lombardi’s signature play was undoubtedly the Power Sweep. It is famously romanticized as Packers power running at its finest.

Some of that is true. It was a power running play, hence the name “Power Sweep.”

But, there is also a case of semantics going on. While it is thought of as a power play, it is actually a mixture of smash mouth football with zone run blocking.

The picture below is an actual page from Lombardi’s playbook and diagrams the famous Power Sweep.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

The people blaming this on the players execution need to realize these coaches are putting them in difficult positions to succeed. especially flowers. the offense is predictable. we get into 3rd and long quite often. that is not where Flowers excels. especially if you want to keep him in the pocket.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

13 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

The people blaming this on the players execution need to realize these coaches are putting them in difficult positions to succeed.

Just the opposite. The coaches have put them in positions to succeed and, at times, they haven't .... with dropped balls, not well thrown balls, etc. Although ..... 500 yards and 41 points per game ... call me crazy, but I would call that succeeding.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Here's the board:

We won!  Yeah but...

We scored 43 points!  Yeah but...

We had two RBs go over 100 yards!  Yeah, but...

We had 408 yards of total offense!  Yeah, but...

We're 4-0!  Yeah, but...

We can't even just enjoy the win.  We all know that there are some issues, but come on!  So many are crapping on it because it didn't look like how they wanted it to look.  Everyone on here would have been thrilled if someone came to them and said that USF would be 4-0 and have 500 yards and 41 points a game.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Here's the board:

We won!  Yeah but...

We're 4-0!  Yeah, but...

We can't even just enjoy the win.  We all know that there are some issues, but come on!  So many are crapping on it because it didn't look like how they wanted it to look.  Everyone on here would have been thrilled if someone came to them and said that USF would be 4-0 and have 500 yards and 41 points a game.

Voice of reason.

Im thrilled we are 4 and 0 and ranked. Offense can only get better with playing time.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Wait...you mean we lost the game?...,,

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Here's the board:

We won!  Yeah but...

We're 4-0!  Yeah, but...

Yes, of course... The victory is important. None of that escapes me.

However, most Bulls on here were talking about running the table and getting into the money bowl, etc., before the season started. If we still have such lofty goals, I think it's only fair to look at the team playing up to the standard that deserves that sort of reward.

Looking at the score and the results only is very deceiving right now ---hence my reference to Michael Spinks.

(1) Comparing this offense to the offense from late last season, including when we won against South Carolina, we are not that same offense (as in capable of scoring like that).

(2) Yes, we are much more aggressive on defense. But it's deceiving. Michael Spinks was knocking people out left and right, too... I'm not buying that we are a lights-out defense just because we made some tweaks. Yes, we are much better. But I'm not sold on them until we play somebody like Houston or Memphus. It's too soon to tell --until we play somebody good.

(3) Yes, we've got issues with drops and whatnot. But the plays being called and how the offense is run (no pun(t) intended), we've seen some of this when Mike White was here. This was supposed to be a year when the new coaching staff was supposed to come in, improve the defense, and gooooo. Well, it's sputtering like crazy.

It's a long season. If we want to shine at the end, things need to be fixed. Otherwise, yes, "we won!" and  "let's enjoy it!"

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We are still scoring 30+/game with Flowers missing receivers all over the field every single game.  I really don't understand how this is a Gilbert problem instead of the obvious Flowers problem.  Flowers threw the ball much better last year, but has regressed significantly.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Yes, of course... The victory is important. None of that escapes me.

However, most Bulls on here were talking about running the table and getting into the money bowl, etc., before the season started. If we still have such lofty goals, I think it's only fair to look at the team playing up to the standard that deserves that sort of reward.

Looking at the score and the results only is very deceiving right now ---hence my reference to Michael Spinks.

(1) Comparing this offense to the offense from late last season, including when we won against South Carolina, we are not that same offense (as in capable of scoring like that).

(2) Yes, we are much more aggressive on defense. But it's deceiving. Michael Spinks was knocking people out left and right, too... I'm not buying that we are a lights-out defense just because we made some tweaks. Yes, we are much better. But I'm not sold on them until we play somebody like Houston or Memphus. It's too soon to tell --until we play somebody good.

(3) Yes, we've got issues with drops and whatnot. But the plays being called and how the offense is run (no pun(t) intended), we've seen some of this when Mike White was here. This was supposed to be a year when the new coaching staff was supposed to come in, improve the defense, and gooooo. Well, it's sputtering like crazy.

It's a long season. If we want to shine at the end, things need to be fixed. Otherwise, yes, "we won!" and  "let's enjoy it!"

You said Temple was a test earlier and it wasnt really.

Yes the offense was dialed back some and we know they can be creative when needed see game 3.  Even with conservative plays if not for a few drops and better passes this is a 50 to 7 type win. 

I would like to see the offense continue to improve and yes this defense has passed the eye test.  

By Houston game this offense hopefully is ready to function at near 100%..that is my hope.

So enjoy your ranked 4 and 0 team.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Here's the board:

We won!  Yeah but...

We're 4-0!  Yeah, but...

Yeah but?

Yeah, but even with all of the above, we're further from the Peach and the CFP than we were when we were 0-0

THAT's the "yeah but"

• Upvote 1