• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What does Gilbert have in common with Woodie?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I dunno, the stats through 4 games are fairly similar.  scoring is down a little, but last year we needed to keep scoring because the defense sucked.

We had a hard time scoring TDs last night, but if this was last year, our performance would have been average.  Last night we averaged 5 yards a carry with 2 runners over 100, total of 316 on the ground. 

Biggest difference is last year we were scoring in dynamic fashion.  This year we are working the ball down the field and controlling the game.  Time of Possession is up over 10 minutes a game.  We are controlling the games both on offense and defense this year. In a way, I am happy that we haven't needed Q's legs putting him at risk to win games.  

I think people are getting too caught up in the flash of last year vs the more grinding punishing offense of this year.  If the offense wasn't producing and getting stuffed I would agree that Gilbert is killing the offense, but pretty hard to complain with putting up 42, 31, 47, 43 points per game.

If I have any concern it would be the passing game, but it hasn't really been an issue in keeping the game close yet so as long as we are winning as a team I don't see any problems.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I think its obvious this offense misses Adams and Mack you remove those two dynamic players and its amazing we still are scoring over 40 on avg.

I think this offense is still trying to figure out what they are so its a learning process. Hopefully the offense figues out what they are near end of the season before Houston. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

The offense isn't so bad... we are rushing extremely well. The stats, 200+ rushing yards per game, do not support the claim that our runs up the middle aren't effective. It sometimes seems that way watching, and definitely was at some times, but the offense is expanding a little from games 1 and 2 and racking up the rushing yards. 

We are exhausting defenses at the end of the game. The philosophy is definitely different than Taggart. Taggart would have scored 50+ probabaly all 4 games so far, instead we are scoring 40+ though we scored less than 40 against Stony Brook.

My conclusion with what I have seen so far is that this offense is designed around ball control, field position and endurance. This can work so long as the defense gets stops to win the field position battle. 

Dropped passes  are huge problem. But I think the offensive line play is a bigger one with respect to how this offense operates. If our line lacks depth we are going to lose the endurance battle. We have the backs to cycle them and keep them fresh against tired line backers and lineman, but if our own line doesn't hold it can cause the whole strategy to collapse.  

Remember last year against Temple we had 355 yard of offense. Last night we had over 400. Last year we scored only 30 on Temple... and our defense sucked. So can we really be upset about scoring 43 - 7? 

This team with the improved defense may be more complete than 2016. Stop the sloppy offensive penalties and 2017 may be a special year too.

Edited by Gismo

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, SouthFLBully said:

IMHO Gilbert is doing just fine. Sure his calls were vanilla yesterday but there was zero need for us to get crazy with the play calling. The game was never in jeopardy and we never really needed to throw the ball. Now if at some point this season we are tested and/or playing from behind and we're running the same plays I'll have some issues with that. For now though he's keeping things simple and manageable.

Exactly this. Temple gave up over 400 rushing yards to Notre Dame so why in the hell WOULDN'T the game plan be to try and establish the run. We averaged 5 yds a carry and big plays were set up because of establishing that run but they weren't executed properly. It may not have been pretty for some but it was exactly what we needed to do for that game

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

we started drives inside Temple territory 9 times last night.

we started inside their 30 yard line 6 times.

pitiful that we only scored 4 TDs

offense needs to be way more efficient regardless of the yards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

offense needs to be way more efficient regardless of the yards

Obviously the offense hasn't NEEDED to be more efficient through the first 4 games .... and the offense had almost 700 yards last game so it's not like it CAN'T do it.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Obviously the offense hasn't NEEDED to be more efficient through the first 4 games .... and the offense had almost 700 yards last game so it's not like it CAN'T do it.

So you will agree that the offense is not currently playing to potential?  I think that's what most are getting at here.  The defense is obviously playing out of their minds.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I said NEEDS. not NEEDED. we will lose a game if we can't be more efficient offensively. We started drives inside their 30 yard line 6 times last night and scored 23 points. the rest of the game 20.

2 minutes ago, Bulls Are We said:

So you will agree that the offense is not currently playing to potential?

I have no idea what the current offense's potential is but as long as we're scoring 40+ a game against FBS opponents, I'm good.

Just now, Bull94 said:

I said NEEDS. not NEEDED. we will lose a game if we can't be more efficient offensively

IMO, only one thing counts when it comes to offensive efficiency and that's points  .... and I think we've been pretty efficient in that regard so far so you're wanting MORE effieciency doesn't really hold water with me.