• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Story on one of board's favs: Tyre McCants

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

GAME 4 PLAYER TO WATCH: TYRE MCCANTS

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, SEPT. 21, 2017 – No matter what the task entails, Tyre McCantswants to make it happen for 3-0 USF football.

USF's junior receiver gained national attention with his crushing blocks in the season opener at San Jose State that sprung D'Ernest Johnson's electric 50-yard touchdown run. McCants followed that up with a 65-yard, go-ahead touchdown in game 2 and a 13-yard scoring catch last week against Illinois. McCants is averaging a team-best 26.2 yards per reception heading into Thursday's conference clash with Temple (2-1).

"I just want to go out and make plays to help the team be successful," McCants said. "Whether it's running, blocking, catching, whatever it is to help the team, that's what I want to do."

McCants' team-first approach turned the sturdy, slot receiver into a Twitter sensation after clearing the path for Johnson's sprint to the end zone with two blocks that got even more play in the team meeting room. Each week, head coach Charlie Strong shows the Bulls an "effort tape" of a player going to the extra mile on the field. McCants was an easy choise for the San Jose State game.

"It was just two unbelievable blocks by him," Strong said. "I told D'Ernest when he scored, I said, 'You go over and thank Tyre because he's the one that really sprung you and got you going.'"

"It was just two unbelievable blocks by him," Strong said. "I told D'Ernest when he scored, I said, 'You go over and thank Tyre because he's the one that really sprung you and got you going.'"

19835McCants was a popular Bull on the sidelines against Stony Brook because of what he did with his soft hands and laser focus. With the game tied at 17 in the fourth quarter, McCants sprinted upfield and snagged a deep pass from Quinton Flowers with a defender in his face to put USF ahead for good in the 31-17 home win back on Sept. 2.

more...

Rest of Story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Each week, head coach Charlie Strong shows the Bulls an "effort tape" of a player going to the extra mile on the field. McCants was an easy choise for the San Jose State game.

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

14 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Each week, head coach Charlie Strong shows the Bulls an "effort tape" of a player going to the extra mile on the field. McCants was an easy choise for the San Jose State game.

:facepalm:

I don't get the facepalm.  The blocks on that play were sick and probably were the highlight of that game.  

We simply HAVE to get McCants the ball.  His size and playmaking ability are unmatched on this team.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,575
  • Days Won:  29

He was the reason I pulled my Grothe Jersey out of the closet.

He's a great BULL !

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Loooooove me some McCants.  We need to get this kid more touches as all he does is make plays when given the opportunity.   His run blocking is a thing of beauty.  

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I don't get the facepalm.  The blocks on that play were sick and probably were the highlight of that game.  

It's the spelling error. I couldn't highlight it on my phone. 

The play was awesome and the write was good but the choise was like 🤦‍♂️ 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

20 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

We simply HAVE to get McCants the ball.  His size and playmaking ability are unmatched on this team.  

I agree, I feel like MVS is getting plenty of targets that might be better served going to Mccants. 

Edited by ajc1228
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

It's the spelling error. I couldn't highlight it on my phone. 

The play was awesome and the write was good but the choise was like 🤦‍♂️ 

Is your spelling of "choice" intentional?  Asking for a friend.  

19 minutes ago, ajc1228 said:

I agree, I feel like MVS is getting plenty of targets that might be better served going to Mccants. 

Don't get me wrong ... I love me some MVS too, but hopefully we'll see a good balance of both WR studs getting fed.