• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulletin Board Material

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I get it the idea of it, but I don't believe in it. Yes, in the context of the game, I think that you can feed on that emotion, the crowd, etc. and get a team to play over their head. I played college baseball, I know what it was like to look around and see and hear the crowd, etc. and feed off of that. But I don't subscribe to the bulletin board theory. Too abstract and detached from the moment. Yeah, it can be a fun thing to read on the wall when you're walking around in the locker room or the weight room. It can get the guys riled up a little bit for a few minutes. It can be something the coach brings up at the end of practice or before the game, but in the moment of the game, not so much.

I think you got it.  That's why it's bulletin board material and not scoreboard material.  To me it's motivation to prep better than you may otherwise have.  Sure you want them to put everything they can into prepping for every game, but just like full stadiums and screaming fans can get you over the top during a game, this stuff gets you more focused and prepared before the game.

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Instead of temple will destroy us it will be we will destroy temple.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

I get it the idea of it, but I don't believe in it. Yes, in the context of the game, I think that you can feed on that emotion, the crowd, etc. and get a team to play over their head. I played college baseball, I know what it was like to look around and see and hear the crowd, etc. and feed off of that. But I don't subscribe to the bulletin board theory. Too abstract and detached from the moment. Yeah, it can be a fun thing to read on the wall when you're walking around in the locker room or the weight room. It can get the guys riled up a little bit for a few minutes. It can be something the coach brings up at the end of practice or before the game, but in the moment of the game, not so much.

I'm going to guess that they're not reading it "in the moment of the game..."

I know that "bulletin board material" has been used in nearly every sport as visual/motivational techniques.

I would also guess that sports therapists and psychiatrists use some form of visual stimulation in their practices.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

They better be reading the bulletin material from last year's game. If they have any pride, they will be pissed about how they got their skirts lifted in that game and hoe Temple took our spot in the conference title game. USF doesn't need to  beat temple, they need to punch them in the face. I also don't agree with baseball being a more cerebral game. It doesn't have drawn out plays or the same amount of X's and O's you simply hit a ball, catch a ball and run to the bases. But football is a physical and cerebral sport and you better have both. I can live with the close games we played this year, but I want an ass whooping for Temple. So they better read that bulletin board material everyday until the game. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

It's something that's definitely not sustainable but you can bet CCS and BJM will bring this up Thursday night before the game to challenge the defense in any pregame speeches/pep talks.   you can also maybe use it if you have a time out before say a key 3rd and short late in the game etc but it's not what drives a team for the vast majority of the game.  I think in order to use it properly you have to beat the players up all week over it so when you break it out on game day they are not only pissed about what was said about them but they're also tired of hearing it and want you to shut up about it .  I don't literally think the players are thinking directly about the quotes but it can definitely get players into a f*** those guys mode and make them want to shut the coaches up a bit..... 

CCS should save the comments they made until we are up by 21. Then tell the team how they insulted the defense...that way we win by 49 points.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

32 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I also don't agree with baseball being a more cerebral game. It doesn't have drawn out plays or the same amount of X's and O's you simply hit a ball, catch a ball and run to the bases. 

Image result for chuckle gif

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

I think it's two different things between baseball and football - baseball isn't as much of a contact sport and it's more cerebral than football.  You can't really get too fired up or you'll lose focus.

In football, with guys hitting and using their shoulders and hands, that little extra aggression could make all the difference - granted, it could be good or bad ... but I think because football is a more physical game, that bulletin board comments can influence a football player a bit more than they would a baseball player.  

Definitely This.

I know guys who have played college and minor league baseball and a couple who played FBS football and the personalities and the way they're wired are completely different.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I also don't agree with baseball being a more cerebral game. It doesn't have drawn out plays or the same amount of X's and O's you simply hit a ball, catch a ball and run to the bases.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Wonder if Charlie will take the reigns off for the entire game even if we are up big.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If the defense wants payback make it a shutout. 

Watched the Temple vs UMASS game. There is no reason we should put up less than 40 against that Temple defense. Very unimpressive.   

If UMASS had a kicker that could actually make a FG they win. Missed 3 fairly easy kicks. 

I look for big games from McCants and Scantling needs to do something on the national stage. I would also not be surprised to see 3 runners over 100 yards again.