• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Defensive Turnaround

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

28 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Any chance you could find that quote and send it to DC CBJ?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/temple/20161023__A_huge_moment__means_more_meaningful_games_for_Temple.html

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Where is that ECU punk that mocked me when I told him we would have the best secondary and one of the best defenses in the country. Probably hiding with TigerJay 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, MMW said:

This is not the Bulls Shark defense.  It is much better.  I was never sold on Alan.  He was better than Woodie but that is a very low bar.

I hope we can continue to tackle and hawk balls once we get in conference play.  This defense is starting to look like our defenses of old.  I am really impressed with our ability to stuff the run, especially on first down.  We seemed to always give up 8 yards last year on first downs.  We would only get off the field when the other team screwed up.  It didn't matter since we were scoring at will but it sucked to watch.

Agreed.  This defense is fun to watch.  Way better than the "Bull Shark" of 2 years ago.

And I don't even have to say that it is 100x better than last year's "Bull Shart" style of defense.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I actually think the Bull Shark defense was pretty darn good. It's big weakness is that power running ate it alive. They honestly struggled against FSU and Navy. The 4-2-5 is always going to struggle against the power run unless you have an absolutely fantastic player like Derwin James (FSU also runs a 4-2-5). We did well against Temple in 2015, yes, but I think part of it was that we jumped all over them early and our tackling was certainly better-they had to throw themselves back into the game and they never were able to really do that. 

That said this defense just takes away the football and the offense hasn't always converted on turnovers. We only got two FGs against Illinois against 3 INTs (although last INT essentially ended the game). If this offense starts converting on those turnovers like they did last year, there's not a team in the country that will be able to take us. 

There is still unrealized potential with this team. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

22 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Where is that ECU punk that mocked me when I told him we would have the best secondary and one of the best defenses in the country. Probably hiding with TigerJay 

from the department of redundancy department. Don't need both words...

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

12 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

I actually think the Bull Shark defense was pretty darn good. It's big weakness is that power running ate it alive. They honestly struggled against FSU and Navy. The 4-2-5 is always going to struggle against the power run unless you have an absolutely fantastic player like Derwin James (FSU also runs a 4-2-5). We did well against Temple in 2015, yes, but I think part of it was that we jumped all over them early and our tackling was certainly better-they had to throw themselves back into the game and they never were able to really do that. 

That said this defense just takes away the football and the offense hasn't always converted on turnovers. We only got two FGs against Illinois against 3 INTs (although last INT essentially ended the game). If this offense starts converting on those turnovers like they did last year, there's not a team in the country that will be able to take us. 

There is still unrealized potential with this team. 

Bull Shark had its moments but it if I recall, it seem to rely too heavily on the play of say Angry Bird.  If that guy shows up hung over liked he seemed to be in the bowl game, the whole defense suffers.

Also, why would we want a defense that "the power running ate alive"?  I hate seeing teams do that.  It is demoralizing.  I am just curious.

I think it is important to stop the run early and often (like we are doing).  Force teams to pass and let our backs hawk the ball.  Throw in a well times blitz to make it interesting.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

The offense chewing up the clock also helps I think...one play drives are nice when behind but a 3 min+ td drive sure gives the defense some time to rest and plan next drive.

Our tackling is so much better also...last year so many 3 yard plays would turn into 10 yard plays because of horrible tackling and playing out of position.

If the offense cleans up some silly mental things  and special teams starts blocking this team would beat a majority of ranked teams.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

43 minutes ago, charsibb said:

from the department of redundancy department. Don't need both words...

Well played :lmao: