• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Aug. 26: Points Scored v. Punches Landed

Points v. Punches  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Given that USF's Drive to Georgia (Sponsored by Mercedes Benz) and the Mayweather-McGregor fight are both set for August 26th, I offer you this question: Which will be more, total points scored by USF against SJSU or total punches landed by McGregor against Mayweather? 

• Upvote 1

Some food for thought: Pacquiao went all 12 rounds with Mayweather and landed a total of 81 out of 429 punches. USF's all-time record for points scored in a game is 80 (in the first game ever), out most points scored in 2016 was 56 (v. Towson) and our most points scored in the last 5 seasons was in 2015 against Cincinnati (65). 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Considering McGregor will not land more than 20 punches before being floored, I took USF.  

Edited by NewEnglandBull

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Considering McGregor will not land more than 20 punches before being floored, I took USF.  

Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out in the last 6 years, other than maybe 1 or 2 girlfriends. McGregor absorbed 157 shots to the head and body in 25 minutes against Nate Diaz and was never knocked down. ESPN Sports Science compared the punching power of Mayweather and Nate Diaz:

"In fact, Mayweather’s power is about the same as volume puncher and McGregor rival, Nate Diaz.” Sports Science lists Mayweather’s average power punch at 814 pounds of force and Nate Diaz’s at 820 pounds of force."

In order to KO McGregor, Mayweather is most likely going to have to wear him down with a barrage of punches over the course of more than a few rounds. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out in the last 6 years, other than maybe 1 or 2 girlfriends. McGregor absorbed 157 shots to the head and body in 25 minutes against Nate Diaz and was never knocked down. ESPN Sports Science compared the punching power of Mayweather and Nate Diaz:

"In fact, Mayweather’s power is about the same as volume puncher and McGregor rival, Nate Diaz.” Sports Science lists Mayweather’s average power punch at 814 pounds of force and Nate Diaz’s at 820 pounds of force."

In order to KO McGregor, Mayweather is most likely going to have to wear him down with a barrage of punches over the course of more than a few rounds. 

Mayweather's punches will be coming way faster, and with much more accuracy than Diaz. Mayweather has been in with a few future Hall of Famers (De La Hoya, Mosely, Marquez, Alvarez), and those guys mostly struggled to get a glove on Mayweather. McGregor is way slower, and lacks the footwork or experience to make this even remotely competitive. I don't think McGregor even has a puncher's chance in this. This is a joke of a fight that McGregor has somehow talked his way into. This will look something like the Mayweather-Gatti fight, but far worse. Mayweather is not a power puncher, but I doubt McGregor goes the distance here. Will likely be stopped on cuts. They should have written it into the contract that McGregor doesn't get paid in the case of a DQ. I can see him getting frustrated and humiliated, and trying to foul out of the fight.

The original Points scored v. Punches landed is a good question. McGregor will probably get credit for punches landed by tapping Mayweather to the body while they're in a clinch, which will probably account for the vast majority of his punches landed. I'm guessing we put up at least 42 on San Jose State. I think I'd go with Points scored on this one....

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

McGregor hasn't boxed in his life right? USF points. I mean I'm rootin for him, but I find it hard to believe he will go in there and take an undefeated defensive boxer.

Edited by Ionbull

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

McGregor hasn't boxed in his life right? USF points. I mean I'm rootin for him, but I find it hard to believe he will go in there and take an undefeated defensive boxer.

Best boxer of his generation against a guy who dabbled a little in amateur boxing about a decade ago, and is now making his pro debut. Not sure how they managed to sell this crap. Pretty funny though that ESPN reported that there was a 30K bet put in on McGregor. Don't know the specifics of the bet, but hopefully for that individual's sake, he/she wasn't betting on a McGregor victory.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

Of course you are assuming McGregor can actually box...which he can't. It won't take that long. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Of course you are assuming McGregor can actually box...which he can't. It won't take that long. 

I agree he is going to get crushed, I'm simply being a contrarian and throwing out the other side of the argument. I think that for the sake of putting on a good show (and the fact that McGregor COULD land a lucky punch) Mayweather won't go 100% and the fight will last longer than it should. But I agree, it will simply be a spectacle, a circus sideshow, which is why I posed the poll question that I chose. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,561
  • Days Won:  29

McGregor lands an illegal hit and knocks him out in the first round . . . REMATCH!

USF scores 20 Plus in every Round(Quarter).

Go BULLS !!!