• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

USF journal: Jean-Mary bracing for limited linebacker corps

Joey Knight, Times Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:10pm

A day after Coach Charlie Strong reiterated his concern about the Bulls' linebacker depth, new coordinator Brian Jean-Mary quantified it.

Ideally, Jean-Mary said he'd like to suit up 10-12 linebackers each game, "just because they're so vital on special teams." But as it stands, only six scholarship linebackers are on the roster, including freshman Keirston Johnson.

Toss in a hybrid guy such as Sickles alumnus Josh Black or Jefferson graduate Juwuan Brown, and the number increases to eight. "And that's probably stretching it," Jean-Mary said after Tuesday's practice.

"But just because of injuries...and the ability to take some guys off the field and let 'em rest, we'd like to have eight guys."

Slightly more plausible is Jean-Mary's goal of a six-tackle rotation. The first four -- seniors Deadrin Senat and Bruce Hector, junior Kevin Bronson and sophomore Marlon Gonzalez -- appear set, with some intriguing candidates behind them such as converted LB Mi'Cario Stanley.

Full Story, plus Odds and Ends

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Linebacker depth is a concern. Hopefully a few guys will develop as the season rolls on. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Linebacker depth is a concern. Hopefully a few guys will develop as the season rolls on. 

There is no one else to develop unless you are talking about Walk-ons. We only have 6-8 LBs and I would say Brown is probably to heavy to play LB right now.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I heard Sam Barrington is available.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Doesnt he know we have DJ?  He's like a dire wolf and can take on 10 men single handidly.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

Gonna have to switch a safety perhaps? Heard they were trying something with McGee or Dixon can't remember exactly though. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bullrush33 said:

There is no one else to develop unless you are talking about Walk-ons. We only have 6-8 LBs and I would say Brown is probably to heavy to play LB right now.

True, but I was referring to quality. Hopefully the other three will get better as the season goes along. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,516
  • Days Won:  28

Those walk ons better step thier game up and take advantage of this opportunity b4. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

It would have helped to have Mi'Carlo Stanley at LB, but he apparently put on 50 pounds his redshirt year and blew up from 225 to 274 and is now considered a DT. That is a ridiculous amount of bulk to put on in one year. I can't believe there weren't any JUCO LBs we could get to come in and help with the depth issue at the position. I would hate to see us drop games because of attrition at the LB position. We do have a total of 11 on the roster, but that includes walk-ons, true freshmen, and some really undersized guys. Tajee Fullwood would seem like a good fit to help at the LB position given his size. At 6'2'', 210 lbs he is pretty big for a DB. Also, DE Jimmy Bayes might be able to help if he hasn't put on too much weight (he was listed at 6'3'' 228 lbs)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

It would have helped to have Mi'Carlo Stanley at LB, but he apparently put on 50 pounds his redshirt year and blew up from 225 to 274 and is now considered a DT. That is a ridiculous amount of bulk to put on in one year. I can't believe there weren't any JUCO LBs we could get to come in and help with the depth issue at the position. I would hate to see us drop games because of attrition at the LB position. We do have a total of 11 on the roster, but that includes walk-ons, true freshmen, and some really undersized guys. Tajee Fullwood would seem like a good fit to help at the LB position given his size. At 6'2'', 210 lbs he is pretty big for a DB. Also, DE Jimmy Bayes might be able to help if he hasn't put on too much weight (he was listed at 6'3'' 228 lbs)

Luckily they are still running the 4-2-5, so a couple fringe LB/DBs will be used more than true LBs. Just have to hope no one gets hurt.