• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Martin Fennelly Weighs in on the FB Season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I expected a horrible article riddled with swipes at USF and he delivered. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

His writing style is virtually unreadable. He states as fact his assumption that CCS would bolt if USF goes 13-0 this season. I can't believe this is the best that the Tampa market can get (afford) out of a sports columnist. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I disagree with the notion that a G5 team can't make the playoff. Houston had a great chance last year if they had won out. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

8 minutes ago, tburns said:

I disagree with the notion that a G5 team can't make the playoff. Houston had a great chance last year if they had won out. 

This guy, Fennlley, is a USF hater and goes out of his way to make it clear. I don't know why Strong or Harlan doesn't rip his press pass a-la CWT in Eugene. Snarky, cynical, douche.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

That is a horrible written article. What is he trying to accomplish? Is goals of 13-0, conference championship and NY6 berth that bad? USF fans aren't expecting to crash the playoff. The schedule is as bad as it is because wisconsin pushed their game back with virtually no time to replace a power team. Is that so hard to research? I just don't get an article like this. Essentially saying "good things are happening let me specifically **** on it for no reason." 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, tburns said:

I was going to comment on that as well. Houston would have made the playoff if they had found a way to win out. Also, starting the season ranked, if we had a marquee match-up against a Top 10 team like FSU, we potentially would be in the mix depending on how things shook out. This further illustrates what a hack writer he is, as he couldn't be bothered to fact-check that Western Michigan was unraked until Week 6 in the Coaches Poll and week 7 in the AP poll. Had they started the 2016 season ranked around #20, as USF likely will this season, they would have finished the regular season in the top 10, maybe as high as number  7 or 8. While the deck is heavily stacked against a G5 team, it isn't impossible. 

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

Houston's win over a highly ranked Oklahoma set them up for the playoffs, but we have no games like that which would give us the boost. 

We are at the mercy of where we start in the preseason rankings and subsequent losses by those ranked above us, even if we win out.

14 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Houston's win over a highly ranked Oklahoma set them up for the playoffs, but we have no games like that which would give us the boost. 

We are at the mercy of where we start in the preseason rankings and subsequent losses by those ranked above us, even if we win out.

Aside from a freak season in which we go undefeated and all but 1 P5 team has 2 losses, I just don't see it happening for us. Not saying it is impossible, but I would say about a 1% chance. 

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

Aside from a freak season in which we go undefeated and all but 1 P5 team has 2 losses, I just don't see it happening for us. Not saying it is impossible, but I would say about a 1% chance. 

We certainly don't control our own destiny to the playoffs.

Here is my beef with the local writers:  Instead of the string of "don't get your hopes up, Bulls fans" and "you're going to lose your coach" articles, you need articles of how unfair it is if you're not part of the "money 5" and how the deck is stacked against the "have nots" which have the audacity to do well.

Edited by Ricky the Bull
  • Upvote 2