• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best Running Game in College Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

7. South Florida Bulls

5 OF 11

Quinton Flowers
Quinton FlowersChris O'Meara/Associated Press

2016 Stats: 285.3 yards per game (5th), 6.51 yards per carry (2nd), 47 TD (3rd), 37 carries of 20-plus yards (8th)

MVP: Quinton Flowers

Only San Diego State's Donnel Pumphrey had more 20-yard carries in 2016 than Quinton Flowers. South Florida's quarterback ran the ball at least 20 yards 20 times, finishing his junior year with 1,530 rushing yards and 18 touchdownsjust barely behind Lamar Jackson in both categories. Flowers ran for at least 105 yards in seven of his final eight games and should remain the featured piece of this rushing attack with Marlon Mack (1,187 yards and 15 TD) now out of the picture.

Other Contributors

D'Ernest Johnson (RB): 111 carries, 543 yards, 8 TD

Darius Tice (RB): 30 carries, 169 yards, 1 TD (four games)

Reason to Buy

If anything, the coaching change from Willie Taggart to Charlie Strong will only make South Florida more dependent on the run. Texas averaged 49.8 carries per game last year under Strongthe seventh-highest mark in the country. Also, Darius Tice being granted a medical waiver for one more season was a nice plus for the Bulls. He averaged better than 5.0 yards per carry in each of the last two seasons and could be a big asset as the team's third rushing option.

Area for Improvement

Mack averaged 6.2 yards per carry in his three seasons with the Bulls, but D'Ernest Johnson's average is just 4.4. Can he bump that number up as the No. 1 RB, or is South Florida's team-wide average of 6.51 yards per carry destined for a precipitous drop?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721983-ranking-the-best-running-games-in-college-football-in-2017

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think DJ's YPC will go up ... he's been more of a role player in the offense before, but I've always thought he could be the feature if need be.  Well, now's his chance.  I think he'll deliver.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

A look at the 2016 rushing defense stats for our 2017 opponents would suggest that we have a very favorable schedule, especially in the first 7 weeks, to really establish a dominant rushing attack and do some damage on the ground. 

SJSU - 250.7 ypg (119th)

Stony Brook - 101.1 ypg (9th in FCS) - In their only FBS game last year against Temple they surrendered 177 yards rushing. 

UCONN - 155.7 ypg (45th)

Illinois - 240 ypg (111th)

Temple - 136.9 (25th) - Replacing the #13 overall pick in the NFL Draft (Riddick).

ECU - 235.8 (109th)

Tulane - 168.8 (57th)

Cincy - 190.7 (75th)

Houston - 107.2 (5th)

Tulsa - 180.6 (68th)

UCF - 176.6 (61st)

The Houston game will represent our toughest challenge of the season, at least on paper. Ed Olliver is a beast and their run defense is stout. It will be interesting to see how Temple does replacing Riddick and with their new head coach. UCONN, while strong against the run, shouldn't pose much of a problem overall. UCF is really the wildcard. How much will they improve in season 2 of Scott Frost? 

• Upvote 1