Sign in to follow this  
Triple B

USF Breaks Community Service Record

Triple B    3,230

July 17, 2017

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, JULY 17, 2017 – Pursuing a goal of excellence in the classroom, in competition and in the community, USF Athletics reached new heights with a program record of 5,025 community service hours logged by student-athletes and staff during the 2016-17 school year.

Ever-increasing community partnerships and improvement projects in the Bay Area helped USF Athletics surpass its previous record total of 3,945.5 community service hours posted during 2015-16. USF Athletics has partnered with more than 30 organizations and projects in the Bay Area over the past year, including Boys & Girls Club of Tampa Bay, Metropolitan Ministries, Paralympic Sport Tampa Bay, Special Olympics, Tampa Parks and Recreation, Feed The Children, G3 Life Applications, Habitat For Humanity, Great American Teach In, Where Love Grows and many more.

Most recently, 57 incoming freshman student-athletes participating in USF's summer bridge program completed a community service project with Metropolitan Ministries on July 7. Student-athletes were broken up into groups and handled tasks that included food prep, moving furniture and cleaning at the nonprofit organization's Tampa location. Participating student-athletes represented 14 USF athletic teams, including football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, volleyball, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's tennis, track and field, and softball along with men's and women's golf.

In May, USF women's tennis, which claimed the 2017 American Athletic Conference title on the court, was recognized for giving back to the Bay Area with the ITA Community Service Award for the Southeast region after totaling 258 hours in the community over the past year. Women's tennis also received the team community award at the Stampede of Champions, USF's annual student-athlete awards show.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/news/2017/7/14/general-usf-breaks-community-service-record.aspx

Bausfkid    309

This may seem to many like a "warm and fuzzy", but it goes a long way to the goal of getting into a P5.  Zebold's first sentence cites excellence in the classroom in the first position ahead of athletics for a reason.  USF is doing all the right things behind the curtain to make a run. 

For those non-believers we need UCF to be attractive as well, as we (USF and UCF) will be a package deal when the time comes.  Some P5 conference is going to make a great decision. 

Go Bulls!

Bull Daly    360
14 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

This may seem to many like a "warm and fuzzy", but it goes a long way to the goal of getting into a P5.  Zebold's first sentence cites excellence in the classroom in the first position ahead of athletics for a reason.  USF is doing all the right things behind the curtain to make a run. 

For those non-believers we need UCF to be attractive as well, as we (USF and UCF) will be a package deal when the time comes.  Some P5 conference is going to make a great decision. 

Go Bulls!

You nailed it!! The only question is if the Big 12 will remain a power conference if Texas & OU leave. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Triple B

TAMPA, July 20, 2017 – The University of South Florida men's and women's soccer teams have released their respective schedules for the 2017 season, and now fans can be a part of 21 combined home games with an all new VIP Experience.

In an unprecedented move in collegiate athletics, USF will open the north berm of Corbett Stadium for a new sideline experience. Cabanas will be available to purchase for the season as part of their youth club supporters package.

Unlike field seats behind the goals or stadium seating that is available to the public, the amenities of the cabanas are exclusive and reserved specifically for youth clubs.  Amenities include: 50 tickets for each game, a VIP entrance, exclusive in-game experiences and recognition for your club, access to coaches and youth clinics, and NCAA Compliance training.

For more information on cabana spaces for the 2017 season, contact Brandon Lopez at (813) 974-6016.
    • By Brad
      USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Web Link: http://bit.ly/2vCSZcF

USF Volleyball Announces Challenging 2017 Schedule 
      The Bulls will host a pair of non-conference tournaments and 15 home matches
      TAMPA, JULY 19, 2017 – Four early season tournaments before a highly competitive American Athletic Conference schedule provides the USF Volleyball team with an exciting slate of matches for the 2017 season. 
      A balanced schedule features 32 matches against teams from 11 different conferences, including the Big Ten and SEC, with 15 matches set to be played in Tampa.
      “I am very excited about this year’s schedule,” said sixth-year head coach Courtney Draper. “To open with a Big Ten school and have two SEC schools on the schedule prior to conference play is great for this team.” 
      For the first time since 2013, the Bulls will see the season’s first serve at home in the USF Invitational, Aug. 25-26. The six-match tournament will feature Northwestern of the Big Ten and SEC member LSU, along with Arkansas Pine Bluff. USF went 11-5 at home in 2016, the best mark since 2012.
      “I think that our fans will really enjoy watching our team compete this season,” said Draper. ”Many of our opponents tell us that the Corral is one of the toughest venues to play in because of our amazing fan support. I expect to have another strong record in Tampa, protecting our home floor.”
      The Bulls get things started with the second match of the opening invitational, taking on Northwestern on Aug. 25. USF will play two matches the next day, facing Arkansas Pine Bluff at noon followed by LSU at 7 p.m. USF has gone 5-1 in opening tournaments over the last two seasons and has dropped a total of only four sets.
      The Bulls will be tested when hitting the road for the first time, as they take part in the Bulldog Invitational in Starkville, Miss., Sept. 1-2. USF faces Stephen F. Austin to begin the tournament. The Ladyjacks have been one of the Southland Conference’s best with 64 wins and an NCAA appearance over the last three seasons. USF will play the hosts Mississippi State later that day and conclude the weekend against Grambling State on Sept. 2.
      The Bulls return to Tampa for the USF Classic, Sept. 8-9. The weekend begins with Bethune-Cookman on Sept. 8 before a match against FAU on Sept. 9. The Bulls finish the tournament against Oral Roberts.
      USF remains in Florida for its final non-conference matches when it travels to Jacksonville for the Dolphin Invitational, Sept. 15-16. The Bulls open the tournament against Austin Peay, which finished 24-11 last season and 12-4 in the Ohio Valley Conference. USF then faces Presbyterian College and concludes tournament play against the host Dolphins on Sept. 16. 
      “All of our pre-season and non-conference opponents will really help us prepare well for what has proven to be an extremely tough American Athletic Conference,” said Draper. 
      The American schedule will be both challenging and competitive, as nine of the 12 members finished above .500 last season, including USF at 19-13. Three American Conference schools made it to the NCAA Tournament, including Cincinnati, who the Bulls open league play at home against on Sept. 22. USF will also host East Carolina on Sept. 24 to conclude the opening weekend of conference play.
      The first road contest in conference action will be on Sept. 29 at the newest member of The American, Wichita State. The Shockers might be new to the conference, but they are no strangers to the college volleyball national spotlight, having won the Missouri Valley Conference and made it to the NCAA Tournament in nine of the last 10 years. It will be USF's second all-time meeting with Wichita State and the first since 2005.
      "The addition of a storied Wichita State program really makes this league one of the more challenging conferences in the country from top-to-bottom," said Draper.
      The first-ever trip to Wichita, Kan., will start a four-game road swing through The American. USF turns its attention to Memphis on Oct. 3. Following the contest against the Tigers, the
      Bulls make their first trip of the year to Texas on Oct. 6 when they battle SMU in Dallas. The Mustangs finished 2016 at 26-8, won their opening NCAA Tournament match and have posted no fewer than 22 wins since 2013. The season's longest road trip concludes at Tulsa on Sept. 8.
      USF returns home on Oct. 13 against a 22-win Temple squad from a season ago and a tilt against UConn on Oct. 15. The Bulls wrap up their first run through the league with a pair of road matches, at Tulane on Oct. 20 and at Houston on Oct. 22.
      The first rematch of 2017 will take place on Oct. 27when Memphis comes to Tampa. The Bulls will welcome the Shockers to the sunshine state for the first time on Oct. 29.
      The final month of the regular season begins on Nov. 3 at ECU, followed by a match at Cincinnati on Nov. 5. The Bulls host Houston on Nov. 10 and Tulane on Nov. 12. A three-game road trip over Thanksgiving break ensues on Nov. 17 at UConn.
      The Bulls then travel to Philadelphia to face Temple on Nov. 19 before the War on I-4 resumes three days later. The initial matchup with UCF begins a home-and-home to close out the regular season. USF hosts its intrastate foes for senior day on Nov. 25. The Bulls hold a 49-33 edge in the all-time series against the Knights.  
      "Though this schedule provides many of exciting challenges, I am confident in our player's abilities and our entire staff can't wait to get the season started," said Draper.
      With no American Athletic Conference tournament, the NCAA Tournament First and Second Rounds will be held Dec. 1-3 
    • By Brad
      USF ATHLETICSGoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Web Link: http://bit.ly/2tGOZrQ

Mohl Adds To USF Baseball Coaching Staff
      Chuck Jeroloman has been added as assistant coach and Chris Cates has been promoted to assistant coach

TAMPA, JULY 12, 2017 – University of South Florida first-year head baseball coach Billy Mohl is pleased to announce the addition of Chuck Jeroloman and the promotion of Chris Cates to his coaching staff.  

A West Plam Beach, Fla., native, Jeroloman brings six years of college baseball coaching experience to the Bulls, four of which were spent in the state of Florida. A three-year starting shortstop at the University of Auburn, Jeroloman was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in 2004 and played professionally for seven seasons, advancing as high as Class AAA. He has NCAA Regional experience from his two seasons as an assistant at TCU (2012-13) and helped Jacksonville University improve its win total in each of his four seasons there, going from 21 victories in 2014 to 36 wins in 2017.

"We are excited to have Chuck Jeroloman, his wife Tara and his sons Owen, Chase and Brady join the Bulls family," said Mohl. "Chuck is a tireless recruiter and coach, and most importantly a guy who our players will be excited to work with each and every day. Chuck has a very impressive baseball background and was highly recommended by many of the top coaches in college baseball around the country. We are thrilled to have him. "

Cates has been a vital member of the USF baseball coaching staff, serving as a volunteer assistant coach over the last three seasons. The Tampa, Fla., native was instrumental in the development of the Bulls' infield, including shortstop Kevin Merrell, the 33rd overall selection in this year's MLB Draft by the Oakland A's. A former standout and College World Series participant at the University of Louisville, Cates was selected in the 38th round of the 2007 MLB Draft by the Minnesota Twins and played five seasons in their minor league system. He served as an assistant under head coach Mike Martin at Florida State in 2013 prior to returning to the Bay Area with a stint at the University of Tampa in 2014.

"I am thrilled to promote Chris Cates to be our second assistant," said Mohl. "Chris has been a huge part of the team's success over the last three years. His ability to teach and develop our players is a huge asset to this program. He relates well to our players and is a great mentor. His connections around the state and country from a recruiting standpoint will be a huge benefit moving forward."

Jeroloman will serve as USF's recruiting coordinator and assist with the hitters after holding similar responsibilities at Jacksonville. The Dolphins finished the 2017 season with a 36-24 mark, their best record since 2011. Jeroloman was an integral part in the development of outfielder Austin Hays, who was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the third round of the 2016 MLB Draft.

At TCU, Jeroloman was a valued member of a 2012 staff that guided the Horned Frogs to the UCLA Super Regional. TCU finished the year with 40 wins and shared the Mountain West regular season title. Under his direction, TCU's infielders ranked third in the country in double plays turned. Five Horned Frog position players were drafted under him in 2012 and 2013.

"I am incredibly grateful to Coach Mohl and the University of South Florida for this opportunity," said Jeroloman. "I'm excited to work alongside Coach Mohl as he is someone who holds the same values as I do when it comes to the importance of positively developing our student-athletes not just on the field, but in all aspects of their lives. I look forward to leading a recruiting effort in which we will work tirelessly to thoroughly evaluate each student-athlete to make sure we are getting young men who are the best fit for this program. My wife, who was born and raised in St. Petersburg, children and I couldn't be happier to start this new and exciting chapter in our lives."

In his new role at USF, Cates will continue to work with the infielders and the hitters as well as new recruiting duties. He helped the 2017 Bulls make their second NCAA Tournament appearance in three seasons and reach the 40-win mark for the first time since 1996. He guided Merrell to a league-record .384 average and second-straight All-American Athletic Conference First Team honor. In his first season at USF in 2015, Cates worked closely with Merrell and Kyle Teaf. Merrell went on to become a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American and Teaf was selected in the 30th round of the MLB Draft by the Tampa Bay Rays. During his time at Florida State, Cates helped in the development of the Seminole outfielders. Under his instruction, three were selected in the 2015 MLB Draft, including D.J. Stewart, who was taken in the first round (25th overall) by the Baltimore Orioles.

"I'm grateful that Coach Mohl has promoted me and am excited to continue working on this staff," said Cates. "I'm ready for the challenges of this new recruiting position and looking forward to building on to the foundation that has been laid here. Our goal is to elevate the USF baseball program into one of the elites. I'm thrilled to continue furthering my coaching career at USF and in my hometown of Tampa."  
    • By Brad

WEB LINK: http://bit.ly/2t14kGL

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      DATE: July 11, 2017

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter
      Like USF Athletics on Facebook

Women’s Basketball Honored for Academic Excellence 
      USF women's basketball recognized by The American for academic excellence.

TAMPA, JULY 11, 2017 – The University of South Florida women’s basketball team was presented with the American Athletic Conference Academic Excellence Award for its sport, the league’s commissioner Mike Aresco announced Tuesday. 

In each of the 21 sports sponsored by The American, an Academic Excellence Award is given to the team with the highest collective grade-point average during the 2016-17 year. The selections were made by the conference’s Academic Affairs Committee. The winners were chosen based on the grade-point average of each student-athlete who appeared on an institution’s roster as of the last contest of the championship segment in each conference-sponsored sport.

The Bulls boasted a 24-9 record last season, and their fourth trip to the NCAA Tournament in the last five years. USF made its third consecutive trip to the league’s championship game and finished with an 11-5 conference record.  

• By Brad

WEB LINK: http://bit.ly/2tQIDrQ

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      DATE: July 6, 2017

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter
      Like USF Athletics on Facebook

Pujol, Stringfield Sign Pro Contracts
      Two former Bulls, Pujol (’17) and Stringfield (’16) signed contracts to play overseas.

TAMPA, JULY 6, 2017 – Two University of South Florida alums, Ariadna Pujol (’17) and Shalethia Stringfield (’16), have signed professional basketball contracts to play overseas in the fall of 2017. 

The pair played integral roles in the Bulls’ historic stretch from 2012-2017, when they made five consecutive postseason appearances. Pujol will return to her home country of Spain to play for CADI La Seu D'Urgell, based in Seu D’Urgell, which is just over two hours from her hometown of Mataro, Spain. Stringfield signed with TVSAARLOUIS Royals in Saarlouis, Germany.

Pujol is coming off her best season as a Bull, when she averaged 12.4 points per game, second on the team, and 6.2 rebounds. The guard was a member of the American Athletic Conference All-Freshman team and during her senior season landed on the Junkanoo Jam All-Tournament team. Pujol graduated in May with a degree in Psychology. Pujol and the class of 2017 became just the second group of graduates to make four postseason appearances, three NCAA trips.

“I'm really excited to start my next chapter with CADI La Seu D’Urgell because it's relatively close home,” said Pujol. “Well, everything is close to home after a nine-hour flight from Tampa to Barcelona. My team is a young team, and has mostly national players. I know some of my teammates already because we played on the national team together years ago. I love this program because of the philosophy and I’m excited to start this adventure.”

Stringfield remained in Tampa after her senior season to complete her second degree at USF in December. During her senior season, Stringfield led the Bulls back to the NCAA second round for back-to-back seasons. As a senior, Stringfield was named the league’s Sixth Player of the Year. She averaged 9.6 points per game and collected 126 assists. Stringfield will live in the USF career record books with 379 career assists, which rank fifth all-time.

“I’m really excited to start my new journey in Germany,” said Stringfield. “I’ve had a chance to speak with my new coach, coach Paar and I’m optimistic about my role on the team. Coach Paar made me feel very welcome and that I’m already a part of the team. I can’t wait to meet my new teammates and start this next journey in my life. USF has prepared me to succeed, and I can’t wait to contribute to more success.”