• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mohl Adds To USF Baseball Coaching Staff

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICSGoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/2tGOZrQ

Mohl Adds To USF Baseball Coaching Staff

Chuck Jeroloman has been added as assistant coach and Chris Cates has been promoted to assistant coach

TAMPA, JULY 12, 2017  University of South Florida first-year head baseball coach Billy Mohl is pleased to announce the addition of Chuck Jeroloman and the promotion of Chris Cates to his coaching staff.  

A West Plam Beach, Fla., native, Jeroloman brings six years of college baseball coaching experience to the Bulls, four of which were spent in the state of Florida. A three-year starting shortstop at the University of Auburn, Jeroloman was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in 2004 and played professionally for seven seasons, advancing as high as Class AAA. He has NCAA Regional experience from his two seasons as an assistant at TCU (2012-13) and helped Jacksonville University improve its win total in each of his four seasons there, going from 21 victories in 2014 to 36 wins in 2017.

"We are excited to have Chuck Jeroloman, his wife Tara and his sons Owen, Chase and Brady join the Bulls family," said Mohl. "Chuck is a tireless recruiter and coach, and most importantly a guy who our players will be excited to work with each and every day. Chuck has a very impressive baseball background and was highly recommended by many of the top coaches in college baseball around the country. We are thrilled to have him. "

Cates has been a vital member of the USF baseball coaching staff, serving as a volunteer assistant coach over the last three seasons. The Tampa, Fla., native was instrumental in the development of the Bulls' infield, including shortstop Kevin Merrell, the 33rd overall selection in this year's MLB Draft by the Oakland A's. A former standout and College World Series participant at the University of Louisville, Cates was selected in the 38th round of the 2007 MLB Draft by the Minnesota Twins and played five seasons in their minor league system. He served as an assistant under head coach Mike Martin at Florida State in 2013 prior to returning to the Bay Area with a stint at the University of Tampa in 2014.

"I am thrilled to promote Chris Cates to be our second assistant," said Mohl. "Chris has been a huge part of the team's success over the last three years. His ability to teach and develop our players is a huge asset to this program. He relates well to our players and is a great mentor. His connections around the state and country from a recruiting standpoint will be a huge benefit moving forward."

Jeroloman will serve as USF's recruiting coordinator and assist with the hitters after holding similar responsibilities at Jacksonville. The Dolphins finished the 2017 season with a 36-24 mark, their best record since 2011. Jeroloman was an integral part in the development of outfielder Austin Hays, who was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the third round of the 2016 MLB Draft.

At TCU, Jeroloman was a valued member of a 2012 staff that guided the Horned Frogs to the UCLA Super Regional. TCU finished the year with 40 wins and shared the Mountain West regular season title. Under his direction, TCU's infielders ranked third in the country in double plays turned. Five Horned Frog position players were drafted under him in 2012 and 2013.

"I am incredibly grateful to Coach Mohl and the University of South Florida for this opportunity," said Jeroloman. "I'm excited to work alongside Coach Mohl as he is someone who holds the same values as I do when it comes to the importance of positively developing our student-athletes not just on the field, but in all aspects of their lives. I look forward to leading a recruiting effort in which we will work tirelessly to thoroughly evaluate each student-athlete to make sure we are getting young men who are the best fit for this program. My wife, who was born and raised in St. Petersburg, children and I couldn't be happier to start this new and exciting chapter in our lives."

In his new role at USF, Cates will continue to work with the infielders and the hitters as well as new recruiting duties. He helped the 2017 Bulls make their second NCAA Tournament appearance in three seasons and reach the 40-win mark for the first time since 1996. He guided Merrell to a league-record .384 average and second-straight All-American Athletic Conference First Team honor. In his first season at USF in 2015, Cates worked closely with Merrell and Kyle Teaf. Merrell went on to become a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American and Teaf was selected in the 30th round of the MLB Draft by the Tampa Bay Rays. During his time at Florida State, Cates helped in the development of the Seminole outfielders. Under his instruction, three were selected in the 2015 MLB Draft, including D.J. Stewart, who was taken in the first round (25th overall) by the Baltimore Orioles.

"I'm grateful that Coach Mohl has promoted me and am excited to continue working on this staff," said Cates. "I'm ready for the challenges of this new recruiting position and looking forward to building on to the foundation that has been laid here. Our goal is to elevate the USF baseball program into one of the elites. I'm thrilled to continue furthering my coaching career at USF and in my hometown of Tampa."  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Any good?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Bring in those recruits!