• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best team ever

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

7-5 with a coveted birth in the Popeye's Chicken Bowl

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Okay, no matter what happens with the season, this IS THE BEST TEAM in my mind.

Why?

They came to USF when we were in the dumps. And they could have transferred out when things got rough. Nope. They stuck it out. Now, they will be ranked and will be playing for national recognition.

This senior class, including the guys who just went pro, are the best group in my mind.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I think part of the problem last year was fatigue. Our offense was scoring in under two minutes rather frequently. Our defense did OK on first and second down, but third and fourth down we were definitely below average. We were 114th in the nation in time of possession. Our defense was on the field too long. We didn't give up an exceptional amount of big plays to opposing teams, but we were hurt on third and long quite frequently. Additionally, our team scoring so much led to other teams going for it on 4th down a disproportionate number of times. We had the 4th most 4th down attempts against us in the nation and allowed over a 50% conversion rate. I think part of the key to improving the defense will be shoring up the 3rd and 4th down defense and finding ways to make sure our defense stays fresher. 

A big part of that will be the need to become more aggressive rather than sit back and try to tackle.  We can't rush 2 or 3 guys and let the QBs just sit back and pick us apart.  We also need to improve tackling.  I don't know the number, but I believe we had a huge drop in TFL.  Under Allen, the year before, they had earned the Bullshark moniker for attacking.  Under Woodie, not so much.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

2 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

7-5 with a coveted birth in the Popeye's Chicken Bowl

Bahamas won't be so bad. Heck, I will be happy with the St Pete Bowl. Both are fun bowls for the fans.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I think part of the problem last year was fatigue. Our offense was scoring in under two minutes rather frequently. Our defense did OK on first and second down, but third and fourth down we were definitely below average. We were 114th in the nation in time of possession. Our defense was on the field too long. We didn't give up an exceptional amount of big plays to opposing teams, but we were hurt on third and long quite frequently. Additionally, our team scoring so much led to other teams going for it on 4th down a disproportionate number of times. We had the 4th most 4th down attempts against us in the nation and allowed over a 50% conversion rate. I think part of the key to improving the defense will be shoring up the 3rd and 4th down defense and finding ways to make sure our defense stays fresher. 

The defense was the  guys who couldn't get off the field.  That had nothing to do with the offense.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Days Won:  3

Our defense last year was a dumpster fire.

I dont know or think it can get much better in one offseason.

Wouldnt be surprise if we lose 2-3 games next year, but anything more would be a HUGE disappointment.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Days Won:  3

P.S. I think the 2009 is the best team on paper we've ever had.

JPP

Selvie

Nate Allen

Kion Wilson

Grothe/BJD

Mike Ford (lol)

That team definitely underachieved.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

6 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

P.S. I think the 2009 is the best team on paper we've ever had.

JPP

Selvie

Nate Allen

Kion Wilson

Grothe/BJD

Mike Ford (lol)

That team definitely underachieved.

D7mn you Skip Holtz

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

46 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

D7mn you Skip Holtz

Seriously, you really should let the defense of Skip Holtz thing go. The guy was the worst thing that ever happened to our football program. A really nice guy, just not a good fit at USF. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Seriously, you really should let the defense of Skip Holtz thing go. The guy was the worst thing that ever happened to our football program.

And vice versa ..... I think whoever came in at that point in time, under all the circumstances, was going to be doomed.