• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's Golf: Joaquin Niemann #1 in the WORLD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

About time we had some good news around here!

with a 4 on 17, Joaquin Niemann advances, @eugenehonggolf will be 1st Alternate #RoadToErinHills @usopengolf @USFMGolf @GatorsGolf

I know that  "Joaco" had planned on playing in one more tournament in the USA and one in Mexico before enrolling at USF. I don't think he had the US Open in mind when he said that. LOL

https://www.ghintpp.com/fsga/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=191

Edited by Mama_Bull

Loks like Claudio "Yaya" Correa was with him today. Perhaps, he caddied for him.

img_4135-681x383.jpg Photo: USGA / Scott A. Miller

Also, congrats to former USF golfer Chase Koepka for finishing T3 on the European Challenge Tour this past weekend. That is the Eurpean Tour equivalent to the Web.com tour in the USA.

https://www.europeantour.com/en/players/chase-koepka-41193#Overview

Edited by Mama_Bull

Claudio did caddy for him today.

Both Niemann and Correa will be playing in Mexico this weekend.

MEXICAN INTERNATIONAL AMATEUR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP

June 08 - 11 2017 
Campeche, Mexico 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Men's golf school!

Nice to see that Niemann beat out a UF commit in the playoff. :applause:

Golfweek

U.S. Open sectional recap: Maguire medals in Tequesta, Fla.; Niemann earns final spot via playoff

By: Brentley Romine  | June 5, 2017 11:47 pm
Here is a recap of the U.S. Open sectional qualifier in Tequesta, Fla. For complete coverage of all U.S. Open sectionals, click here.

RELATED

PHOTOS: 2017 U.S. Open sectional qualifying (Tequesta, Fla.)
• • •

Tequesta, Fla.

Jupiter Hills Club, Par 70

Three spots available

Scores

MEDALIST: Jack Maguire qualified for his second U.S. Open on a day when birdies were hard to come by at Jupiter Hills. Maguire, who played his college golf at Florida State, opened with a 2-over 72 before switching out his putter between rounds and firing a second-round, 5-under 65. He finishes at 3 under, two shots clear of the field. Maguire also qualified for the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay, where he made the cut and tied for 58th.

ALSO QUALIFYING: Behind Maguire, three players tied for 1 under – Tyson Alexander, Joaquin Niemann and Eugene Hong. The trio had to play off for the final two spots. Alexander made birdie on the first playoff hole to earn one of the spots. The 28-year-old Gainesville, Fla., resident is the third of three generations of U.S. Open competitors. He also qualified for the 2009 U.S. Open while his grandfather, Skip, played in six U.S. Opens and his father, former University of Florida coach Buddy Alexander, competed in two. (Buddy also won the 1986 U.S. Amateur.) Niemann, the world’s top-ranked amateur and runner-up at this year’s Latin America Amateur, and Hong, a highly-ranked UF commit, moved on to the second playoff hole, where Hong made a lengthy birdie putt from about 30 feet. Niemann then matched him by making a sliding 8-footer for birdie. On the third playoff hole, though, Hong’s drive ended up in a fairway bunker. Niemann’s par on then hole was good enough to send the 18-year-old Chilean, who will play at USF beginning this fall, his first major-championship berth.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,631
  • Days Won:  3

So I know nothing about college golf.  How does a #1-in-the-world golfer come to USF (or any college) and be coached by someone other than who has coached him up to this point?

In my mind, I imagine for bigger sports like baseball, basketball, and football that universities have the equipment/facilities/coaches who are truly a higher level than the little league/AAU resources.  But for golf, I wonder how much they really can improve a guy like this.  I know he said that he believes his future involves college golf before turning pro, but why?  Does someone from USF start working with him on his swing like they work on a quarterback throwing motion, or does the golfer keep that relationship with his current coach?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

12 minutes ago, Boomer said:

So I know nothing about college golf.  How does a #1-in-the-world golfer come to USF (or any college) and be coached by someone other than who has coached him up to this point?

In my mind, I imagine for bigger sports like baseball, basketball, and football that universities have the equipment/facilities/coaches who are truly a higher level than the little league/AAU resources.  But for golf, I wonder how much they really can improve a guy like this.  I know he said that he believes his future involves college golf before turning pro, but why?  Does someone from USF start working with him on his swing like they work on a quarterback throwing motion, or does the golfer keep that relationship with his current coach?

Couple of my thoughts.  Being #1 Am doesn't make you ready for the pros.  Going to college will give a golfer time to develop and gain experience.  Coach Bradley doesn't try to remake swings.  He works with them when they hit a rut.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, Boomer said:

A college golf coach is essentially a recruiter and team manager. They don't really do much when it comes to a players actual game/swing.