• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF Handles Florida, Postseason Talk Gets a Little Louder

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF Handles Florida, Postseason Talk Gets a Little Louder

TOPICS:USF Baseball

POSTED BY: DON MILLER MAY 10, 2017

GAINESVILE —  The University of South Florida Bulls took a big step towards the post season last night with a 15-10 win over the 5th ranked University of Florida Gators at at McKethan Stadium. The loss ended a nine game win streak for the Gators and extended the Bulls current wining streak to six games.

Freshman D.J Roberts turned in the best start of his career, completing seven innings allowing just two earned runs while striking out four.

“D.J.had great poise tonight. His fastball ran up to 92-93. His changeup was outstanding tonight but the biggest thing was his poise and he made a lot of great pitches tonight.” said Bulls Head Coach Mark Kingston.

Sophomore Joe Genord was just one of the hitting stars for the Bulls with two home runs, three hits total and four RBI. Luke Borders added a home run and two RBI scoring three runs. Eight USF hitters had at least one hit with either a run scored or a RBI.

For Florida JJ Schwarz added his team-leading seventh homer in the fourth inning and Jonathan India a solo shot in the second.

Game Notes: 

To took a little over 2 hours to drive to Gainesville yesterday afternoon. Thats quite a bit of time to think about how this game would go.

13 hits and 15 runs for USF never really entered my thinking.

However, watching the USF pre-game batting practice the signs were there. Joe Genord put on a show hitting at least a half dozen balls into the left field bleachers. Later he would add two balls to that total that counted.

Luke Borders was another player that caught my eye. His home run in the seventh to left center was a blast. Over the years I have seen 8 or 10 games at McKethan Stadium. The ball seems to jump out of the park down the lines, not so in the gaps. Fly balls go there to die and get caught. Borders took that possibility out of play.

The final score of the game was 15-10. The game was not that close.

At the end of seven the Bulls led 13-3. The Gators added seven runs in the eighth and ninth to make it feel closer. It was not.

Florida pitching issued 17 walks, let that sink in for a moment. I tweeted out 10 was a season high for Florida was 10 during the game.

“At the end of the day when you walk 17 guys, what are you going to do?” Gators Head Coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “It was one of those weird games.”

Take nothing away from South Florida. Bulls hitters showed discipline at the plate and hit the ball hard all night all over the field.

South Florida entered the game with an RPI of 23. They returned home with and RPI of 19, and the possibility of hosting a regional took another huge step.

Considering Missouri State (16) likely can’t host because the minor league team is in town that weekend. They share a stadium with the Springfield Cardinals, and unless they secure and alternate site they will travel to a regional. Baylor (17) doesn’t have a host resume, so that opens the door for the Bulls.

Boyds World reports for the Bulls to finish in the Top 16 RPI they need five road wins in the final eight games. That was before last night. They need four now with a big series at UConn on tap this weekend. The forecast calls for rain on Saturday and Sunday.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c97-1024x768.jpg

https://collegebaseballcentral.com/usf-handles-florida-postseason-talk-gets-little-louder/15600/

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Seems to me Florida's field plays small.  At least alot smaller than the USF Baseball Stadium.

My take for hosting a regional...need to take two in UConn, beat JU, and then win 2 in Orlando.  That would put us at 43-12 before the AAC Tourney and either 1st or 2nd place regular season.

17 minutes ago, JoeB said:

Seems to me Florida's field plays small.  At least alot smaller than the USF Baseball Stadium.

I thought the same thing, as USF was hitting it out of the park there last night.

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Couldn't watch the game (my team played a regional playoff game last night) but I remember the announcers talking about the walks the gators were handing out. I now see that number was 17. That many walks also brings a lot pipe shots because pitchers are trying not to fall behind or they need to get back into counts when they clearly don't have it. could have lead to the Home run explosion. 

Edited by ajc1228

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

The starting pitcher was throwing ducks while he was in there. I'm not savvy on the UF relievers and I didn't have the sound up as I was working, but it seems once the hits inning explosion happened they didn't put any of their real relievers in. Again, it doesn't matter since we still had our generic mid-week pitchers in as well, but the hits were coming in flurries. I just wish Sullivan and Valdes could've shut the dor more conclusively; we were up by ten in he ninth. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Houston dismisses top LHP prospect. does't really help us for the regular season but could come into play in the tourny

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708943-seth-romero-dismissed-by-houston-after-reported-fight-with-teammate-before-game

Just now, Ionbull said:

The starting pitcher was throwing ducks while he was in there. I'm not savvy on the UF relievers and I didn't have the sound up as I was working, but it seems once the hits inning explosion happened they didn't put any of their real relievers in. Again, it doesn't matter since we still had our generic mid-week pitchers in as well, but the hits were coming in flurries. I just wish Sullivan and Valdes could've shut the dor more conclusively; we were up by ten in he ninth. 

Not the case, they used all of their normal relievers aside from the closer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeB said:

Not the case, they used all of their normal relievers aside from the closer.

I thought they might run out of pitchers against USF. LOL

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

53 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

Not quite that bad, but they definitely didn't run their best out there against us. We didn't see their 1-3 best starters and they didn't throw their top reliever either. Milchin, the starter, isn't a starter. Last night was only his second start of the season, but he's probably their 2nd or 3rd best option as a reliever. Brown, Rubio, Horvath, Dyson, and McMullen are all guys who've worked various amounts of innings over the year, but again, all of them are the 3rd best relief option down through about the 8th best option. Bodrato, the last pitcher, was literally the definition of cannon fodder. Last night was his first outing of the year.