• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,174
  • Days Won:  12

I knew we were playing San Jose this year, that was never a question. But I'm laying in bed with vision of Bulls wins dancing through my head and all of the sudden I'm thinking, wait, what? why? Why San Jose? Doesn't it seem odd to anyone that 1) we are playing San Jose 2) that we are playing @ San Jose 3) that we are playing @ San Jose in Aug? I know all the NCAA trying to expand its football foothold stories, but why are WE, as in why is USF, having to go cross country to play San Jose of all teams? I can understand Cal or UCLA or even Washington, that would be of interest to some folks nationally but USF v San Jose? Seriously, thats where the NCAA shoots its bullet? It seems something else is going on. I see that its a home and home but jesus, were we that desperate? Its probably just a weird fluke, or its only weird to me but it just feels odd. Almost like a trap game but without the pretense of the trap. IDK, just mouthing off.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,459
  • Days Won:  422

7 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

I know all the NCAA trying to expand its football foothold stories, but why are WE, as in why is USF, having to go cross country to play San Jose of all teams?

Seriously, thats where the NCAA shoots its bullet?

You know we make our own ooc schedule, right? Not sure where this NCAA questioning is coming from ...

• Upvote 3

Yes I know, but the NCAA allowed this game to be a week0, something to do with a 13 game schedule (must be counting the title game cause we only have 12 games scheduled, right?) . At any rate, this can't be the only game the NCAA was asked to allow as the week0 game. We can't be the only two schools who think, hey lets play a game when nothing else is going on right at the point of the summer where football freaks are starving the most.

Or are you saying that the NCAA has no decision on the week0 games, its the schools themselves who decide if the game is during week0 based on the 13 game schedule rule. If that's the case, i would think every school would want to do that.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

I'd imagine they were the best available team that was willing to do a home and away. From what I understand, the week 0 rationale is that we will be one of the only games on that week so it gives us national exposure from football-starved fans.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

I'd imagine they were the best available team that was willing to do a home and away. From what I understand, the week 0 rationale is that we will be one of the only games on that week so it gives us national exposure from football-starved fans.

Haha except for the fact that they put it on CBSSN.  No football fan outside of tampa will give a **** about this game or even know it's on for that matter.

Edited by goldenbrahm1996
  • Upvote 1

right so what would happen if Alabama wanted to play during the week0? If there can be only one (Highlander) someone would have to decide who gets to play and who doesn't. Wouldnt that be where the NCAA would step in? So assuming there can be only one, there is no way that this game is the only game that could have been selected. And I have a hard time believing it would be the best match-up. It just all seems weird to me.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, cophbulls said:

I knew we were playing San Jose this year, that was never a question. But I'm laying in bed with vision of Bulls wins dancing through my head and all of the sudden I'm thinking, wait, what? why? Why San Jose? Doesn't it seem odd to anyone that 1) we are playing San Jose 2) that we are playing @ San Jose 3) that we are playing @ San Jose in Aug? I know all the NCAA trying to expand its football foothold stories, but why are WE, as in why is USF, having to go cross country to play San Jose of all teams? I can understand Cal or UCLA or even Washington, that would be of interest to some folks nationally but USF v San Jose? Seriously, thats where the NCAA shoots its bullet? It seems something else is going on. I see that its a home and home but jesus, were we that desperate? Its probably just a weird fluke, or its only weird to me but it just feels odd. Almost like a trap game but without the pretense of the trap. IDK, just mouthing off.

We whiffed on the 2017 schedule in every single way possible. That's about all there is to it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Im sure we can dig up the thread when this was announced because it seemed very odd at the time and I believe occurred during the season last year. Here are a few points.

-This year was supposed to be the Tampa return trip for Wisconson, but a couple of years ago they pushed it back (or bought it outright?)

-That's when we scheduled the H&H with NIU, this season was supposed to be our return trip to Dekalb, but we pushed it back.

-Around the same time as that announcement, Harlan came out with the announcement that we scheduled a H&H with SJSU. We all pontificated that his former west coast ties with UCLA helped facilitate this arrangement and also the fact that USF hasn't played West of Texas in over a decade.

-After that the date was announced and it made a little more sense. Even though Week 0 games were generally played in like Australia or Ireland, this was supposed to give USF a chance to have a nationally televised game on a day where it wouldn't be competing with another game. Unfortunately about a month ago it came out that it will be on CBSN, which is completely counter-intuitive to what we all thought would happen. That's barely a real TV channel. 

At the end of the day, Harlan tried to sweeten this year's schedule by playing someone new out west, thus giving USF exposure in a market they don't normally get it in and playing it on a day that, in theory, should be watched by a national audience. This is all in response to not being able to get a marquee OOC match up and Wisco dropping us (which would've been an amazing game if you believe the preseason rankings.) 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

right so what would happen if Alabama wanted to play during the week0? If there can be only one (Highlander) someone would have to decide who gets to play and who doesn't. Wouldnt that be where the NCAA would step in? So assuming there can be only one, there is no way that this game is the only game that could have been selected. And I have a hard time believing it would be the best match-up. It just all seems weird to me.

The matchup was announced prior to the date, in sure there has to be some approval from the NCAA. In short it just gives us another bye week and if we are going to go out west, this is the best way to do it.