• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF JUST LANDED THE BIG ONE!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Great that we got a tall guy but based on his UNM and JC numbers he is a long term project. 

"I didn't play really that long (each game), because (the coaches) were playing guys who run and gun, and I was there pretty much just to be in there a little bit," Scekic said.

"But with Coach Gregory and Coach Herrion, this is definitely a school where my game will fit and where I can show my talent and prove everybody wrong."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-lands-7-foot-1-serbian-nikola-scekic/2321378

I think he will be less of a project. He is just now coming into his own and has been working very hard to improve his game.

..."the best game of Nikola Scekic’s career with 14 points on 7-of-8 from the field. The 7-footer drained his first six shots of the night.

“He took some good shots and that’s why he stayed in there,” Eck said.

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/juco_small_college/record-rebounding-night-by-juiston-helps-hutch-roll-over-dodge/article_fdebf05c-6d91-5c07-b7cc-ae2a220cbbc8.html

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Great that we got a tall guy but based on his UNM and JC numbers he is a long term project. 

If he's a JUCO guy doesn't he only have 2 years of eligibility left?

29 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

"I didn't play really that long (each game), because (the coaches) were playing guys who run and gun, and I was there pretty much just to be in there a little bit," Scekic said.

"But with Coach Gregory and Coach Herrion, this is definitely a school where my game will fit and where I can show my talent and prove everybody wrong."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-lands-7-foot-1-serbian-nikola-scekic/2321378

I think he will be less of a project. He is just now coming into his own and has been working very hard to improve his game.

..."the best game of Nikola Scekic’s career with 14 points on 7-of-8 from the field. The 7-footer drained his first six shots of the night.

“He took some good shots and that’s why he stayed in there,” Eck said.

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/juco_small_college/record-rebounding-night-by-juiston-helps-hutch-roll-over-dodge/article_fdebf05c-6d91-5c07-b7cc-ae2a220cbbc8.html

21 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

If he's a JUCO guy doesn't he only have 2 years of eligibility left?

Yes.

http://zsmart.blogspot.com/2017/03/big-nik-beginning-to-realize-high-major.html?m=1

Just a few years of sustained devotion and relentlessness has the tendency to make a tremendous difference. Such is the case with bruising 7-foot-2, 245-pound Center Nikola Scekic.

Currently at Hutchinson Community College, the once-raw big has grown rapidly this past year while assimilating to the augmented physicality of the American game.

It's no secret and surely make no mistake about it, there is a certain stereotype associated with sky-scraping, Europe-bred bigs of Scekic's type.

They have a tendency to be classified as fundamentally sound and skill-centric bigs who can shoot the rock effectively and dish the ball with a higher IQ than most.

Yet the primary, oft-mentioned flaws affiliated with European bigs are so obvious the words and descriptions nearly fall off the page: Soft. Unathletic. Lacking the same mental moxie as an interior banger here in the states.

Right....

Yes, when Scekic arrived at West Oaks Academy in Florida, his body and his ability to play aggressively and attack the rim ferociously needed some tweaking.

Yes, he was nowhere near a finished product.

Working consistently with coach Chris Chaney, the seasoned coach with the most wins of any prep coach his age (see Chaney's teams at Laurinburg Prep and The Patterson School in North Carolina for more information), West Oaks was able to cultivate a post presence and toughness in the kid they call "Big Nik."

"He always had huge upside," said Chaney, who is currently grooming underrated talent such as Jalen Jordan at National Top Sports Institute in Scotland, PA.

"Nikola's elite passing skills and shooting ability for his size always stood out. And just think, he's not even close to reaching his potential yet."

While Chaney's words have proved prophetic at critical moments these past years, Scekic has improved exponentially with his strength and utilizing his size like a true big.

Now at the aforementioned weight of 245 pounds, Skekic is dunking everything he sees. His adeptness around the rim has rendered him a high percentage threat.

This is underscored by a recent 12-point performance on 6-for-7 shooting the other night.

As a significant role player on a reputable JUCO program, Scekic has become cognizant of just how important basketball will be for his future.

You won't recognize him as the same player he was at West Oaks.

Now he's laced with an insatiable hunger for the game few could have ever envisioned for him.

He's a high-intensity and no frills guy, with a knack for authoritative finishes. No longer a shy kid adapting to the American life, he will have a boisterous eruption following a big bucket.

"He has completely transformed as far as how much he wants out of this basketball life," said Nikola Cicic, the former Arkansas Little Rock guard and fellow countryman who has been instrumental in propelling "Big Nik's" development.

"You have a kid now who has tuned up his body to the point where he is rock solid and is a daunting task for bigs to go up against."

Cicic continued "He's adjusted his game defensively and developed a higher IQ and it's a testament to the work he's put in and how bad he's realized 'this is for me. This game is going to take me far in life.' The kid is an absolute workhorse and developing this mentality has worked wonders for him."

A brief stay at New Mexico did not work out for the behemoth. Some of the factors at UNM were beyond his control, others were not.

Yet as he's proven in several recent performances (12 points in 23 minutes during a 95-78 drubbing of St. Petersburg College, 14 points on 6-for-8 shooting in 18 minutes against Hesston College, 14 points on 7-for-8 shooting in a 104-66 slaying of Dodge City Community College), it's clear the promise is there.

Iona, TCU, FAU, Evansville, Wagner, and Creighton (among others) are beginning to take aggressive pursuit.

zach smart‏ @zsmart3 Apr 6

Hutchinson's 7-2, 245-lb C Nikola Scekic to visit South Florida and then St. John's.

See his thread on the recruiting board for more:

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'll feel more confident once these guys sign

13 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I'll feel more confident once these guys sign

We all will!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,483
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Is that the right guy?  The one in the video doesn't look 7'1.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Looked into a possible depth chart after my previous comment:

PG: Stephan Jiggets: Jiggets has lots of experience as a starting PG.
SG: Troy Holston, Terrence Samuel: Holston has shown he can score, hopefully he can show some consistensy. Terrence Samuel offers good defense off the bench and national championship game experience.
SF: Payton Banks, Justin Brown: Both seem to be really good 3pt shooters, Banks has much more experience at this level though. 
PF: Tulio Da Silva, Alex Yetna: Tulio showed some promise as a freshman after being a 4 star recruit. Yetna is a strong rebounder and has a strong motor, has gotten double doubles without a single play called for him, once he puts on some more muscle he could be a force.
C: Malik Martin, Nikola Scekic: Both talented players, Martin was the #4 overall player in the state of Florida coming out of highschool and Nik had a Georgetown offer. Not sure who will start but both should see some good playing time.

Isaiah Manderson, Henry Beard, and Yito Alvarado struggled to get minutes on last years disaster so I doubt they'll see much time in the rotation this year.
TJ Lang has to sit out a year

Overall: PG seems like a question mark as our only guy on the roster with experience there hasn't played at that high of a level before. From the wings there seems to be a couple good 3 point shooters which would really open up the offense. In the post there seems to be some quality depth but its too early to tell as no one down there has much experience. This year's team should easily be better than last years, however it still will struggle as I don't see anyone who is that good at setting up their teammates and the roster as a whole is pretty inexperienced.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Is that the right guy?  The one in the video doesn't look 7'1.

That is the wrong guy.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

This is our guy.

• Upvote 1